Web site suggestions here. - Page 4 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

Re: Web site suggestions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bp
The keywords specified in the meta-data for SiennaChat pages do include "forum". There are tricks to getting maximum Google exposure, and some tweaking could be considered to match "forum" more strongly, but the basic information is already there.

Code:
<meta name="keywords" content=", PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />
I don't know why the apparently superfluous slash and leading comma are in the content field, or if they affect the search engines.
If "that" is where to input keywords for search engines (I currently have no clue about it), maybe add some more words:

Sienna
Previa
help
review
fix
repair
broken

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
. Pod-Style Running Boards
. OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
. 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
. 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
. Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
. Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bp
The keywords specified in the meta-data for SiennaChat pages do include "forum". There are tricks to getting maximum Google exposure, and some tweaking could be considered to match "forum" more strongly, but the basic information is already there.

Code:
<meta name="keywords" content=", PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />
I don't know why the apparently superfluous slash and leading comma are in the content field, or if they affect the search engines.
If "that" is where to input keywords for search engines (I currently have no clue about it)...
In general, "metadata" is information about an object, rather than the information content of the object itself. For instance, if you take a photo with a digital camera, the file produced contains the image, which is the content, but it also has some (normally hidden) information about the camera and how the photo was taken, which are metadata.

Search engines normally look at both the actual content of web pages (the text shown in the browser window) and the metadata (given in tags like the one I quoted), as well as other information.

For more understanding of this topic, a possible starting point for reading would be Wikipedia's pages for Search engine optimization and Google guidelines.

Of course, we know that SiennaChat is our source of Sienna information and discussion, so we don't need Google to find it for us...
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Supporting Member

What about a feature that shows what the first few lines are of a topic in a pop-up , when you hover the cursor over the "Topic" when in the list mode?

Seen it in most other forums. I find it helpful !

'08 Sienna xle 17' alloy, fog lamps, & tow prep, 2' class 3 hitch, 6 CD changer w/ AUX input, roof rack, power doors & tail gate, split rear seats 'Desert Sand... Gold' towing pkg,
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:50 PM

Agreed! That's a feature I miss in this forum. Not sure what drives that. I guess it's an option in the forum software.

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Please modify the registration screen to specify your password requirements. It was very annoying to come up with an "acceptable" password by trial and error.
post #51 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Supporting Member

Welcome!
Sorry about your trouble registering...

I think the "new" requirement is to have:

-- at least one capital/uppercase letter
-- at least one number/digit

I do believe the system advises you "after" your first unsuccessful attempt. I will send a PM to David/sienna (owner) to see if the system will allow the parameters to be stated "in advance" so new users do not have to stumble through the "trial-and-error" process you encountered.

topspy/Mod-Squad 8)

. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #52 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Devoted Member

the password requires have been lifted.

you pay choose any password and minimal length is four characters.

let me know if i can help make this site more friendly.
post #53 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Can I suggest that every time when we move a topic that is not supposed to be in a certain discussion group into different one we make the topic totally disappear without marking it "MOVED ..."?

I've found it not only occupys spaces but also is annoying that you waste time sorting through these things...

Other than that I think you guys did a terific job setting the forum up overnight!

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 'Blue Mirage'
2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
post #54 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Supporting Member

Thank you for your suggestion.

The reason the [MOVED] pointer is usually provided is to allow those familiar with the "old" location to easily find it again. It also may serve as a prompt to the original topic starter (and other viewers) to make a note of the new location. The pointer is only for convenience and is a courtesy. As the pointer ages over time, it will progressively drop down in position as newer topics move to the top (this is the default sort/view). Eventually, many of the pointers will progress to the last few pages of the category. We will most likely periodically remove some of the older pointers during routine site housekeeping.

Occasionally, the pointer is not provided when we feel that it would be irrelevant.

Some members like the pointers, others do not. It depends upon how an individual member uses the site and its organizational features (how the topics are sorted or viewed).

Best Regards,

-- topspy / Mod-Squad

. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #55 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

I was wondering if we have a place to post links to other Sienna forums such as those at TN and others or is that counter productive?

2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
MB Quart Rear Separates
Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
Polished SS exhaust tip
glovebox LED light
uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
96 LED rear storage light
post #56 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Supporting Member

Generally, it's been acceptable common practice here at SiennaChat to simply post any relevant links within the pertinent discussion topic.
Or, suggestions for a [search] in a leading internet search engine may also helpful.

I know some sites are very militant and anti-link posting. So far, most of our members have used common sense and have not abused that ability. We strive to provide a free-flow of helpful info here for everyone to use and share for the advancement of all members and guests. Most people hate "spam"....so we of course monitor the issue and any links presented and step-in when necessary.

. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #57 of 67 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Devoted Member

Yup.. you are welcome to mention TN or any other site that yields useful info. No spam please.
post #58 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM

What happened to the members list ?

2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
Activated DRL's
post #59 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Devoted Member

the member list will be back shortly, it's been temporarily unpublished to protect members from possible spammers.

it will come back shortly after the new year with updated software.
post #60 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:04 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Hi guys,

I like the new logo picture and all. I'm not sure how you have the HTML coded, but there are options to reduce the image sizes. On my 10 inch netbook, I need to scroll down a full two pages before I see any posts.

What would be cool for me, is to have three pictures on the banner with all three different generations on the logo.

Maybe we can have a contest and have our members design a new logo and then have a vote on which logo is the best?

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....

Tags
site, suggestions, web

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page