Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Driver's window problem

23K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  xmikex 
#1 ·
Lately my driver's window will roll down fine but it won't go up or it'll do it in spurs. Is this a sign of it needing a new motor? If so how hard are they to find and replace?

#2 ·
Yes that is a tail-tell sign of the motor is starting to get weak. I have an old disc from a friend with some pdf files on it. I will try to dig it up(maybe by the weekend??) I hope it has a pdf on how to take the door apart and the motor+regulator.

I have never owned one. I am not sure if it is a gear type or a cable type(?)

#4 ·
robo5 said:
Yes that is a tail-tell sign of the motor is starting to get weak. I have an old disc from a friend with some pdf files on it. I will try to dig it up(maybe by the weekend??) I hope it has a pdf on how to take the door apart and the motor+regulator.

I have never owned one. I am not sure if it is a gear type or a cable type(?)
Did you have any luck finding the pdf? I have encountered the same problem and my motor is completely dead so my window is basically stuck in the bottom. We removed the panelling and tried to disconnect the motor but it is somewhat stuck. Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
ray said:
Lately my driver's window will roll down fine but it won't go up or it'll do it in spurs. Is this a sign of it needing a new motor? If so how hard are they to find and replace?
On my previus 2000 CE I had a similar problem with one of the windows, however on my present 01 LE and on my 05 LE I have NOT had any problems so far. Was the power windows system improved after 2000 ?

Also I remember changing light bulbs frequently for the head and tail lights on the 2000 CE, where as in my 05 LE I've changed one light bulb on the tail light in five years. Improvement, coincidence or luck ?

Ed

#7 ·
I had this issue on an older van, and it turned out to be in the switch. The contacts were a little broken and didn't always make the connection. I'd explore that before I started tearing into motors. I was able to jumper the right connections and the window worked just fine, thus identifying the switch as the problem.

#8 ·
Hi Guys,

I was having the opposite issue. When the door window was opened it would be slow or stop half way.

What I did was take the door panel off and I found that the gold bolts holding the assembly in were loose. One bolt actually fell out of the hole it was in.

I had to remove the plastic that was covering the door to access the bolts. Do not over tighten the bolts when you are snugging everything up.

I also cut away part of the rubber track on the interior side near the driver's rear view mirror (once you take the door panel off). I removed about 6 inches with a utility knife.

This was a similar issue in my 94 Honda Accord where the rubber gets brittle after a few years and starts to pinch the window and slows it down. I think it was an over engineering design.

I also have a bent door hinge that impedes the window from also opening fully. Toyota Canada wants $130 bucks plus tax. I saw the same part on 1sttoyotaparts for $50. I will remove the hinge tomorrow and leave it until I'm taking my annual trip to PA.

If your switch is working, I bet it's other things like loose bolts, rubber pinching the window or a door hinge getting in the way.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Regards, Jason.

#10 ·
Ray,

Did you remove the door panel and have a look at the door? I had the three gold bolts (10 mm) in size that needed tightening as well. One bolt had completely fallen out and was stuck behind that plastic sheet.

I would also look at the piece of rubber molding in the track that is near the side mirror and goes below the window opening. I cut that out using a box cutter and needlenose pliers. I got this tip from my 94 Honda Accord where the window was being pinched by the rubber. Once that rubber is removed the window works good as new. Over time that rubber gets brittle and starts to grab the glass.

After you do this periodically (every 2-3 months) roll the window all the way down and spray the rubber with silicone spray to keep eveything pliable and soft.

Regards, Jason.

#11 ·
had the same problem and it was not the moter.. mine came with tinted windows and a lil pieces was torn off after time and the sticky stuff from the tint moved to the rubber part on door and had to remove all tint and clean works good now glad i tried it before changeing the moter out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.