Road noise and sound insulation of various Sienna models - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Road noise and sound insulation of various Sienna models

My 2006 CE suffers from a lot of road noise. There is a lot of coarse pavement in my area and at speeds over about 50 mph, the noise is transmitted from the tires into the body. It makes listening to the radio or carrying on a conversation difficult. When I drive onto a new patch of smooth asphalt, there is nearly dead silence!

I switched from the stock tires to Goodyear Comfortreds about two years ago and that helped slightly. Unfortunately the handling at the normal 35 psi was very sloppy so I keep them at 38-40 PSI. That restores good handling, but negates the noise reduction. Very frustrating.

The purpose of this post is to ask if there is any difference in the sound insulation if one buys a more expensive model of the Sienna. As mentioned above, mine is the base model CE.

Thanks for sharing your opinions,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

PS: I plan to try the Yokohama Avid Touring S next summer. Right now I am running Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires and they are very quiet compared to the Goodyear Comfortreds. Obviously tire choice is very important for this issue.

Vancouver, Washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Re: Road noise and sound insulation of various Sienna models

We have about 500 miles on a new set of Yokohama Avid Touring S and they improved the ride and quietness a lot. You will be surprised, our Sienna was not the smoothest or quietest thing with the previous tires but with the new Yoko's it's much better.

2007 Toyota Sienna XLE FWD Silver Pine Mica/Taupe with Package #6 (Navigation & DVD Player) 94,000 miles as of 10-30-10. Bought 9-16-08 with 20,810.
-Everstart Maxx battery
-Yokohama Avid touring s
- K&N Air Filter
Previous- 2004 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean. I put the Yokohama Avid Touring tires on my previous vehicle, a Subaru Forester. It made a huge difference. It's nice to know the current version of the tire works well on the Sienna.

Here's an odd tire observation for you:

A week ago I put on a set of four Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. Usually you would think that snow tires would be noisy, but I was very pleased to see that the noise level dropped dramatically! I can now listen to the radio and carry on a conversation with a passenger while on the freeway. The wet road handling, braking and acceleration are fantastic. Way better than the Goodyear Comfortreads. The Blizzaks are a little less precise on dry roads for cornering, but who wants to take a minivan onto a skidpad to see how many Gs it will pull!

I wish I could drive on the Blizzaks all year round, but I know they wouldn't last very long. I think I will try the Avid Touring tires in the spring.

Take Care,

Mike Brown

Vancouver, Washington
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Devoted Member

try the tires and wheel section. Many of us use michelin from Costco. They are good for rainny areas like the Pacific Northwest. I used to have Run Flat but switched to HydroEdge. It has road noise but I think is acceptable. I usually turn my radio to around 25-30 for the volume
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Supporting Member

My 2006 Limited was not as quiet as I wanted, so here is my method of eliminating road noise

http://siennachat.com/forum/index.ph...8.html#msg1438
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.ph...7.html#msg1437
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.ph...6.html#msg1436
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.ph...5.html#msg1435
http://siennachat.com/forum/index.ph...3.html#msg1433

I have 225/60/17 Yokohama TRZ's 44 psi front 40 psi rear no load

I can hear a mosquito in the third row at 80 mph

Fully Optioned 2006 Sienna Limited, Full LED Interior including footwells & consoles, 1st & 2nd Row Center Consoles, Full Weathertech Package, 2011 Big Brake Upgrade, Braided Stainless Brake Line Kit, Michelin Defenders, Raammat & Ensolite Insulation, Prestigious Society Navigation Override, Gen 5 Version 14.1 DVD, Motul 8100 5W30 Oil, HID 5000K Foglight Upgrade,Factory HID's Upgrade to Osram 5000K CBI's, 4G Wifi with Antenna, 4G Amplifier with Antenna, Crossbars removed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
jsm

Now that must be quiet! Wish I could hear a mosquito in my 07 Limited!

07 Sienna Limited AWD Arctic Frost Pearl
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Supporting Member

When I first got my 07, I was very impressed with the quietness of the cabin. It still had the factory Michellins LX4s on it with 36K mi. I later changed to the Yokohama TRZ and noticed they were not as quiet as the Michellins...... The handling on the Yokohama's was far superior though.

2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
MB Quart Rear Separates
Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
Polished SS exhaust tip
glovebox LED light
uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
96 LED rear storage light
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM

I actually think our 08 Sienna XLE is a very quiet vehicle. Of course, other car is a Honda CR-V and Honda's aren't known for their quietness.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 11:48 PM

Our 2009 XLE which is the top of the line is noisy when on the freeway, any freeway. There are times I can't hear the person next to me. HELP!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 AM

My 2012 Sienna LE (bought in July 2012) is very loud compared to my old 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. The trucks and other cars around me also sound louder when I stop.
My guess is the poor sound isolation in the 2012 Sienna.
Other than that, the car looks great and is very comfortable.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM

It thought it was the worn out Cooper tires that was the cause of road noise but it didn't make that much of difference when I get new tires (Michelin Defender XT). Not much insulation in these vans.

2007 Sienna LE Mirage Blue 126,000 miles
Autopage RS-625 2-way remote car starter
Michelin Defender XTs with 41,000 miles
WeatherTech digital mats
All metal VVTi and Oil Cooler pipes
KYB Excel-G Shocks & Struts
1993 Camry LE 256,000 miles

Tags
insulation, models, noise, road, sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page