Adding rear spring air bags - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Adding rear spring air bags

Hi all,

I searched and really only found the topic in the 3rd gen "mods" forum so I thought it would be helpful to repost the thread link here.

some background on my interest in the topic. My kids were younger when we bought the van and so the girls weight in the rear seats wasnt a concern. But now my girls are dating and their boyfriends add much more weight to the tail end. I noticed the springs sagging when everyone was loaded into the van. Also, there was some nasty sway/roll when corning with 7 passengers. Air- bag coil helpers seem to be a good solution to supporting the rear without stiffening the ride. My twist on it was to locate the filler valve inside the rear compartment and add a full-time gauge to the install. Something I could check just by lifting the hatch. In my estimation, it came out better than I expected. If you are interested, follow the link below. My install is post #30.
Here is how it came out.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/209-...r-air-bag.html

image.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 06:45 PM

Re: Adding rear spring air bags

Looks nice, sanitary. Great work.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Thank you for sharing!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Supporting Member

Check out the TOWING & HAULING, Towing Reference subsection of the Forum for several write-ups on the installation of Airlift bags on the Gen-II Sienna.

This link will bring you to Page 2, and my detailed install from 2011 (post 16). Detailed annotated pictures in post 17.
http://www.siennachat.com/forum/95-t...2nd-gen-2.html

I chose to keep them as separate channels with the valves out back, but I do like your built-in gauge idea.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi Fibber2,

I didn't think to look there because I dont tow with my Sienna. Nice write up BTW.

You gotta figure that if the lower seat will rub thru the bladder, that Chinese container lid wont be much protection for it. LOL. I really should have taken pictures of the tube routing because I struggled with how to do it without drilling holes in the van. We live just south of Lake Michigan and road salt is a constant during the winter. Once rust starts, the vehicles life time is limited. It looks like you drilled into the rear seat stowage compartment? I would also suggest using some split wire protector to shield the tube from the exhaust heat. Plastic deteriorates with heat exposure and although the heat would be less while driving, its the times when the van is not moving on a hot summer day on hot pavement that will cook the tubing.

I did forget to mention one other step I added to my install. In the Firestone air bags, they use a push lock valve, not a nipple like the rideright kit. The seal is an o-ring which will be exposed to all the elements of weather. I lubricated the o-rings with silicone grease meant for plumbing. Its not the silicone spray in a can but a small tub with thick grease that wont wash off over time. Also did it to all the Ts as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Supporting Member

I did this installation over 4 years ago, and so far (knock on wood) all is well. It's too easy to over-think this kind of project and make yourself nuts trying to improve upon the kit or the process.

As I went with dual channels, I only had a connection at the nipple of the bag, and at the back of the Schrader valve. No plastic tees to worry about. But yes, I initially assembled a collection of plastic tube compression fittings that I ended up not using. I Rustoleum primed & painted then RTV'ed the drilled hole, and all is well there. Road salt is killing other things on this van, but no trouble in this spot. The exposed lines in the wheel wells didn't collect ice or snow as I had feared.

I still think the Chinese food lids are a good idea to reduce bag end wear, and they do tend to rub thru or crack over time. I usually swap them out with seasonal winter tire changes (November/April), and it's better the wear be on something sacrificial rather than the bags. The shape is perfect; the right diameter and the lip against the bag end keeps them in place. You really don't need to glue them down. But I really should search for something more durable.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Supporting Member

In the 10yr ownership on my van and having the air bag kit on it. I did experience one of the bags develop a pin hole and it failed and would loose air almost instantaneously...just throwing it out there that these kits are not 100% .....do keep a look out for such failures....I figured it out by checking and rechecking the air pressure.....I guess if I would have had the gauge it would have made it easier to detect......but would not have prevented the vinyl bag from developing a pin hole....
javvy...

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Question Re: Adding rear spring air bags

can the firestone bags be installed in awd sienna limited 2017 as the listing says 2wd but for airlift it shows the same part number for both 2wd and awd?
any insight would be appreciated as thinking of ordering the firestones #4155
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 PM

Looks good. I chose to install the valve next to the gas cap because I wanted to be able to access it even if the back is full of stuff. I check the pressure every time I change the oil, about every 4 months, or before I tow. I've never seen it fall below 30psi. I recently hauled a 1000 lb engine, from my truck, to the machine shop. Was glad I had the bags installed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. The instructions that came with mine said to not exceed 30lbs. How much pressure are you running?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

I'm running Air Lift from etrailer. Not to exceed 35psi. I keep mine between 30 and 35.

Tags
adding, air, bags, rear, spring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page