Possible to add 8th seat to 7 passenger Sienna? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Possible to add 8th seat to 7 passenger Sienna?

As the title says, is it possible to convert a 7 passenger van to an 8 passenger? Is it as easy as buying a seat from the dealer/junkyard? Sorry if already posted, I searched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Supporting Member

Re: Possible to add 8th seat to 7 passenger Sienna?

I dont think so, casue if you see the floor of you 7 seater van, the locking achor position for the seats are different for a 7 seater v/s an 8 seater.....also the 7 seater middle row seats are wider and more plush that the 8 seater verison.....thats my 2cents........but if some one can throw more light on this subject I would be intrested as well.

Thanks
Javed Khan

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javvy
I dont think so, casue if you see the floor of you 7 seater van, the locking achor position for the seats are different for a 7 seater v/s an 8 seater.....also the 7 seater middle row seats are wider and more plush that the 8 seater verison...
Exactly. The floor mounts and the seats themselves are different, so there is no straightforward way to add the eighth seat to a 7-passenger Sienna.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to Steve721

When we were looking at the different siennas, between 7 and 8 passenger models, we noticed that in the 8 passenger model, the 2 outer seats looked more narrow, and the didn't have arm rests. This must have been so the 8th seat could be added. I don't know about the floor mounts.

05 Sienna LE
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 PM

It cannot be done. The floor is different between a 7 and 8 seater and cannot be modified without replacing the floor plan. That is a shame because on my 1st gen Odyssey I can swap out mounting plates and go from the bench seat to bucket seats fairly easily.

2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 190K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
1995 Odyssey LX in White 270K miles.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Okay, one more question, if it's not possible to add an 8th seat, how about moving one of the 2nd row seats to the middle of the van? So the 2 seats in the 2nd row could be right next to each other, allowing easy access to the 3rd row. Is that possible?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM

The right seat can be mounted either by the right door or next to the left seat leaving a pathway to the back row. Take a close look at the floor mounts and you should see the extra lugs in the middle.

Rob D.

Owner:
http://www.notebookpowerjacks.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapixle
Okay, one more question, if it's not possible to add an 8th seat, how about moving one of the 2nd row seats to the middle of the van? So the 2 seats in the 2nd row could be right next to each other, allowing easy access to the 3rd row. Is that possible?
Yep....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sienna seats (600 x 440).jpg (44.2 KB, 278 views)

2007 Sienna LE, Silver shadow pearl, DRL
Sound Insulated with Peel and Seal
MB Quart Rear Separates
Chrome LED Side view mirror covers
Polished SS exhaust tip
glovebox LED light
uluahunter LED lightstrip mod (24 LED rear amber turn signals and 120 LED brake light)
96 LED rear storage light
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapixle
Your owner's manual will show you how to do this. That is how we keep ours, like a 2 seat bench. Easier for the older 2 kids to get into the back that way.

2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 190K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member

Mine are the same as robster's.........what I was thinking is that keep the 2 center captains seats seperate lower the arm rest on the inside and then try to stove in the center small seta from an Highlander or Honda Odessey. I tried the odessey one as my neighbour has one but it did not fit, how about the one from an highlander........I am talking about the center 1/4 seats.....onces it fits then will come the more challenging part of finding a way to anchor them on the floor..........but fitment first is necessary............anyone any thoughts

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Supporting Member

Securely fitting an extra seat in the middle row of a second-gen seven-seater would presumably involve anchoring it to the inboard floor mount points for the passenger-side seat; however, there are only two of them so the seat capacity would be low and some sort of stabilizing link to the other seats would presumably be in order.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:12 PM

Javvy, I would be hesitant to try and add a third seat like that. I wouldn't trust that kind of modification in case of an accident.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:45 PM
cpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster View Post
It cannot be done. The floor is different between a 7 and 8 seater and cannot be modified without replacing the floor plan. That is a shame because on my 1st gen Odyssey I can swap out mounting plates and go from the bench seat to bucket seats fairly easily.

Hi robster, i have been looking for information on how to do this on my 1997 Honda odyssey ex - ("1st gen Odyssey I can swap out mounting plates and go from the bench seat to bucket seats fairly easily") could you help me out with this. i called the dealer and they said that the floor was different between the Lx modle and the EX. how did you change the floor plates ?

Thanks for the help.

Tags
8th, add, passenger, seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page