Replacement tire question - NEW input appreciated - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Replacement tire question - NEW input appreciated

I have an 04' Sienna XLE Limited AWD with 160,000 miles that I bought for my wife to haul grandkids and go camping in AND YES, it needs tires. I've read the questions and comments about tires on this site and a host of others. I've gotten very educated about the problems with RFT's and have decided to go with a conventional, non RFT tire. My question is this, because the Siennas are front heavy which seems to be most of the reason for tire problems (I've read about alignments, tire pressure, etc.) should I go with an XL load rated tire vs. an SL AND an H speed rated tire vs. T? From what I've read the XL adds "Additional material to the shoulder of a tire for extra strength. These reinforcements (usually accomplished with polyamide belting found where the sidewall and tread meet." The H rated tire is supposed to have a little stronger sidewall. NOW, the tire I'm considering is a Yokohama AVID ascend 235/60/17 NOT A 225/60/17. Any problems here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:34 AM

Re: Replacement tire question - NEW input appreciated

The H rated Yokohama is what Discount Tire recommended to me for exactly the same reasons you mentioned, specifically about the stiffer sidewall and treadlife. Haven't had them long enough to see if this line of thinking will hold true on the Sienna yet though.

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 170,XXX miles
Yokohama YK580 Tires
Gen III front brake upgrade with cross drilled rotors
Thule roof and bike rack
Firestone airbags
Valley hitch, prodigy P2 brake controler,12V charge line
GROM USB, RCA aux and Bluetooth adapter
Magnovox ceiling mount DVD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page