About to buy a 2008 Sienna - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

About to buy a 2008 Sienna

Found a 2008 Sienna on CL with 167k miles for $3800 obo, owner claims everything works fine and clean title. Seems like a great deal but not sure what to check, any recommendations from the forum would really be very helpful as this is the very first van I am buying. Thank you so much for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: About to buy a 2008 Sienna

btw the van was state inspected till Dec 2018
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

A year ago (April, 2016) I got $7,900 for my '08 Sienna LE (7 seat) with 110k miles. I was asking $8,200. The van was well maintained, in very nice shape, accident-free and ran well. But I was honest with the buyers that the van was no cream puff. Toyota (during the Platinum Extended Warranty) had sunk a ton of $$ into keeping it running right, and I couldn't guarantee what might happen tomorrow.

So use that as a guide. The price sounds right to me, but it could cost you plenty tomorrow. Or it could be the bargain of a lifetime. Ask lots of questions!

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Look for a leaky steering rack, especially the passenger side. If you do buy it replace the rubber vvti oil pipe and oil cooler pipe(if it has it) with the all metal ones because they will eventually fail and do damage.

2007 Sienna LE Mirage Blue 140,000 miles
Autopage RS-625 2-way remote car starter
Michelin LTX M/S2 225/70/16 tires
Air Lift 1000 rear air bags
WeatherTech digital mats
All metal VVTi and Oil Cooler pipes
KYB Excel-G Shocks & Struts
1993 Camry LE 270,000 miles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 PM

That is below blue book even for a CE. You don't say what trim level, which matters a lot.

I might give a below-standard deal to a friend as charity, or as the product of negotiation. From a stranger on CL as their asking price, I'd think they are not being up front about something.

2009 LE FWD

Last edited by Vicente; 05-16-2017 at 11:44 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra129 View Post
If you do buy it replace the rubber vvti oil pipe and oil cooler pipe(if it has it) with the all metal ones because they will eventually fail and do damage.
Although there have been failures of the original rubber VVT-i oil hose (non-yellow stripe), I again ask if there is an known failure pattern of hoses replaced CORRECTLY (yellow stripe) with the VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign?

See this thread :
VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign

You should find out what recall/warranty work has already been performed.

Find out if the spark plugs have been replaced. That can be expensive/time consuming as the access to the three rear plugs is difficult.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonsienna View Post
Although there have been failures of the original rubber VVT-i oil hose (non-yellow stripe), I again ask if there is an known failure pattern of hoses replaced CORRECTLY (yellow stripe) with the VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign?

See this thread :
VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement-Limited Service Campaign
Yes, I do remember that thread, and several others on the topic of ACM vs fluorinated rubber! This is a question we've been asking for going on 5 years now. Any REAL failures, or just negligence/fraud?

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page