Rear Wiper Arm Replacement - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Rear Wiper Arm Replacement

So i got a replacement arm, genuine toyota part,but im having trouble installing it since the old end wont come off. Any instructions or diagrams would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Re: Rear Wiper Arm Replacement

It is just something that you are going to have to do battle with. You'll notice by looking at the new arm that the bushing is ridged and tapered. Tightening the nut presses it on, and it's not going to come off willingly. Basics:

1) Penetrating oil to loosen the 'cold weld' effects of dissimilar metals pressed together.
2) Grab whats left of the arm and wiggle it
3) With a wood block wrapped in soft cloth to protect the glass and bodywork, get something underneath to very gently pry upward while wiggling the arm.

With luck, it should eventually come loose.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Garage

Use plenty of penetrating oil, loosely put the nut back on to protect the threads and use a pulley puller to break it free.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
It is just something that you are going to have to do battle with. You'll notice by looking at the new arm that the bushing is ridged and tapered. Tightening the nut presses it on, and it's not going to come off willingly. Basics:

1) Penetrating oil to loosen the 'cold weld' effects of dissimilar metals pressed together.
2) Grab whats left of the arm and wiggle it
3) With a wood block wrapped in soft cloth to protect the glass and bodywork, get something underneath to very gently pry upward while wiggling the arm.

With luck, it should eventually come loose.
Thanks im trying this but the bugger is on pretty tight, so should i just pull forward or try turning anti clockwise while pulling?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member

I've never had one so stuck that a minor amt of what I suggested wouldn't break it free. TonyVir's suggestion is the next level up and the safest way to go. Too much yanking is liable to damage the motor gearbox output shaft or the seal. Inexpensive pullers can be purchased at a tool place Harbor Freight.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
I've never had one so stuck that a minor amt of what I suggested wouldn't break it free. TonyVir's suggestion is the next level up and the safest way to go. Too much yanking is liable to damage the motor gearbox output shaft or the seal. Inexpensive pullers can be purchased at a tool place Harbor Freight.
Thanks for the input im still confused as to how i took it off, but after struggling for a while i went back out turned the motor on and then shut it off and just tapped down clockwise and the mechanism popped off. But i thank everyone that took the time to respond to my issue love this forum

Tags
arm, rear, replacement, wiper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page