HELP! Need transmission fluid change procedure for 2008 Sienna! - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Need transmission fluid change procedure for 2008 Sienna!

I went to change the oil in my 2008 Sienna and managed to drain the tranny fluid instead.

< waits for laughter to calm >

It appears I've got one of those sealed transmissions, as there's no obvious dipstick. There's also no way to refill it, that I can locate.

Can anyone talk me through refilling it before I call the tow truck?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: HELP! Need transmission fluid change procedure for 2008 Sienna!

Well, it appears I woke up stupid today. I found the tranny fluid dipstick hiding in there. It's black and it was dark and I woke up stupid.

Oddly, I drained a ton of fluid before I realized my error yet the dipstick still shows that I have plenty in there...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:53 PM

So did you add back in what you took out? It may look like there is a ton in there because you didn't check it with the engine running? Make sure you put back in what you took out!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM
jc
Devoted Member

What did the drain plug look like? Was it a 10mm hex bit that you removed? If so that's the tranny fluid. What colour was the fluid?

I think you need the WS fluid, and I'm not sure where you buy it. Hey I did the same thing on my 84 Tercel years ago. Drained the manual tranny fluid and doubled up on the oil! I actually drove the car and had HUGE clouds of smoke when I was on the highway.

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM

JC - sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at your "huge clouds of smoke comment" with an 84 tercel. Was it b/c there was too much oil, or no tranny fluid?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburner View Post
JC - sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at your "huge clouds of smoke comment" with an 84 tercel. Was it b/c there was too much oil, or no tranny fluid?

Too much oil (something like 8 litres). I was a young 20 year old trying to do my own maintenance with no idea! The manual 4 spd tranny had very little fluid left. I had driven the car for about 30 km. Took it to the dealership the next day and had swallowed my pride and got another oil change and tranny fluid topped up and bought a new air filter since it was covered in oil as well. No major issues with the car from that incident!

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Supporting Member

I bought my WS fluid from the Toyota dealer parts dept. Was maybe $9-$10 a qt. or something like that. Not cheap.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edozun View Post
I went to change the oil in my 2008 Sienna and managed to drain the tranny fluid instead.

< waits for laughter to calm >

It appears I've got one of those sealed transmissions, as there's no obvious dipstick. There's also no way to refill it, that I can locate.

Can anyone talk me through refilling it before I call the tow truck?

Thanks!
I feel you. I did the same thing on my girl's Sienna today. I managed to put 5 EXTRA quarts of oil in. Then, she pulled it out of the drive, and said, "It won't go." My answer, SHUT IT OFF!. I immediately knew what I had done. So, emergency tranny fluid change. That's how I stumbled across this thread. So, you are not alone. I am not new to working on cars, I have a WS6 in the garage. I just saw the first drain plug, and thought, "Oh, I have the allen wrench for this." Instead of wondering WHY I needed an allen wrench to change the oil. Oh, well, I now have 30k before I have to change her tranny fluid again. It was pretty funny actually, cause after I had pushed her van back into the garage, I asked her want the good news, or the bad news. She kinda had it figured out, and I said, Good news, you are getting your tranny fluid changed today too. LMAO I was laughing pretty good. The $20 jug of oil hurts, but still way cheaper than having Jiffy Lube change the tran fluid.

Tags
2008, change, fluid, procedure, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page