Rear Engine Mount Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Engine Mount Replacement

Rear Engine Mount Replacement

Hey all first time post here, but was a user of the the forum. Thank you for making this resource available! I live in Reston, VA by the way.

Took the Sienna for the annual inspection on got gigged for the rear engine mount. Inspector indicated these are common failures on this generation of Sienna. I had brought my 03 Element in at the same time and got gigged on that for lower front control arm bushings.

Anyway, took both cars across the street to a repair service that had been recommended by several coworkers. I got prices of $350 to replace the engine mount and $1260 to replace the lower control arm bushings....

I was a bit surprised by the $1260 price and I was told that the bushings weren't replaceable and the entire arm needed to be replaced yadda, yadda, yadda.

The first thing I did when I got home was look to see what changing the lower arm entailed in my service manual. The procedure is one page, removal and replacement with the only magic being the special tool to disassemble the ball joint. Pricing the parts were about 1/3 the cost of what was quoted at the shop. Calling another shop that specializes in Honda provided a price of $380. That's an amazing difference from $1260.

This has all gotten me thinking about the price for the engine mount replacement. Is $350 reasonable? The mount is about $37 online.

What's the consensus? Should I miss our appointment on Monday?

thanks,

chris
    chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Rear Engine Mount Replacement

More developments.

Called the guy who quote the $360 for the lower control arm bushings to see if they worked on Toyotas. His price was ~$550 because the bracket with the mount houses a bushing for the drive shaft and he has never been able to replace a mount without tearing up that bushing. He includes the price of a half shaft in the mount replacement costs as it always winds up getting changed and thus there are no surprises. This tells me that my price from the first guy was going to escalate significantly once the car was in parts.

This guy is way out of the way, but he had done good service for me before. Sounds like I'll be making the trip......

thanks for letting me soliloquize.....
    chris

Are you sure? I pulled out my Repair Manual, and it seems that you only need remove bolts to R&R the control arm. That is, of course, if you buy a new control arm which includes the bushing; that's probably why Toyota sells new control arms with bushings, rather than just the bushings, I guess; they go for about $140 each.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjksr02
    Are you sure? I pulled out my Repair Manual, and it seems that you only need remove bolts to R&R the control arm. That is, of course, if you buy a new control arm which includes the bushing; that's probably why Toyota sells new control arms with bushings, rather than just the bushings, I guess; they go for about $140 each.
    The control arm bushings that 'cdubea' is talking about are for his Honda. .

What is wrong with your rear engine mount? Never heard of this being a commen problem.
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Glad this is Siennachat! He would have been run out of town for posting a Honda issue on Priuschat! :o

jc
    Devoted Member

Hi Guys,

Not sure what exact part your inspector is mentioning. Here is a link to the PDF of the 2001 service manual.

http://minivanclub.org.ua/info/Sienn...nguni/comp.pdf

On page 4 of the pdf it says "Rear mounting engine insulator". Is that the part needing replacement?

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
    Air Lift 1000's
    Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
    268,xxx kms

Supporting Member

I think you are correct JC. The right side driveshaft goes through that mount that houses a bearing to support the shaft.

Hopefully the OP can chime back in an say what is wrong with the mount itself.
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH

I have a 2003 Sienna.
    I have a subscription to Alldatadiy (which I recommend).
    I can only see the 2003 repair data, but it should be VERY close as it is still 1st gen.
    List price for the Rear Engine Mount is $132.95, OEM number 123800A031
    Standard repair time to replace the rear engine mount is 1.8 hours.
    They don't give directions on changing the engine mounts, just repair parts and time.
    However, when I look under the process to remove and reinstall the motor, they show a couple of drawings of the rear mount and give the torque specifications for the 4 bolts that hold the mount to the motor (47 ft. lbs) and also for the rear mount to the chasis nuts (48 ft. lbs).

I looked this part up on www.toyotapartszone.com for a 2001 Sienna and 1998 Sienna, and come up with the SAME part number, same list price, their price is $99.03.
    They call it "Insulator Assembley, Engine Mounting Rear.
    This website has the BEST parts breakdown diagrams that I have found ANYWHERE on the web for the Toyota Sienna.

If you order from this online dealership parts department, or another online dealership parts department, I STRONGLY advise that you follow their advice and enter your VIN so that you get the parts that most correctly match your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by robo5
    I think you are correct JC. The right side driveshaft goes through that mount that houses a bearing to support the shaft.

Hopefully the OP can chime back in an say what is wrong with the mount itself.
    The mount has failed. I checked it myself and the bottom half of the rubber section is torn. Talking with another repair shop today the tech said about half the time the bushing that centralizes the driveshaft cannot be removed with damaging it or the driveshaft. He tells people upfront that it's going to be replaced and if it isn't then the cost is less. His price, including the driveshaft, was $550.

thanks for the manual page. That helped me a lot.

chris

I am guessing the first shop looked at the selling price of the part and the standard repair time x their hourly rate and came up with the number.
    If they are not doing a lot of this particular repair, then they may not have thought (maybe not even known) about the possible complication that could run the price up.

Also, it is not unusual to replace the lower control arm to replace the bushings.
    It is also done to replace the ball joint.
    I guess one has to figure the cost of removal......then to remove and install new bushings without damaging them....and then re-installing the assembly.
    Then compare the labor to the cost of the assembly complete with bushings.

I'm afraid this might do some damage....posting a FORD Windstar picture on this nice site, but it is the best picture I have to demonstrate the point I am trying to make.
    Needed a lower ball joint replacement on my '96 Windstar (this one was at 183K miles, other side was around 220K miles).....they replaced the lower control arm, which is standard for the ball joint replacement on this vehicle.......and that also replaced the 2 bushings that you can see on it.
    I would expect that on a older vehicle there is a risk of damaging bushings, as well as ball joint / ball joint boot in just taking the old control arm off and putting it back on.

Supporting Member

Do you need this mount to be replaced to pass inspection?
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by robo5
    Do you need this mount to be replaced to pass inspection?
    You know I have been wondering about this. I've seen the mount and it is failed, but I have a feeling that inspections in the past weren't so thorough and it's been failed for a while. I have absolutely nothing to base this on other than gut feel.

Thanks.

chris
    chris

Rear Engine Mount is DIYable. Folks.

First do some other general research first. To save $500 bucks, please do 50 minute research first. In car, you know, it's alway easy said then done. You do need basic car tools (Impact gun, floor jack, saw, 2x4 wood block, etc..). If you only have a $99 toolbox, don't try it. This is for ethusiatic Saturday mechanic DIY.

Then, the key points are:

1. jack up car, take off right tire to get access

2. after releasing housing bolt, use reciprocating saw to cut the bushing/insulator from inside, don't cut too much, just enough to cut old bushing out.

3. When putting back the new one which won't fit, of course, so make sure:
    a) put it in freezer overnight before to shrink it enough
    b) get a grinder (to grind off the surface of bushing metal to make it thinner to fit in )(I would not recommend to do it, below is why)
    c) DON"T hammer it in,

WHY: I did a lot of research last year on replacing rear mount and I hired a guy with garage for $100 replacing it while working with him together. (remember, I did research and have the knowledge)

But he didn't do in the right way.

First, it took him hours to work on axle and axle is stuck, in the end, I suggest cutting and it worked.

Then, he tried to hammer in the new one and didn't work, worse, damage the housing and axle alignment.

Finally he called a pro and cut the one that was half-in out again. Then, buy a new one, grind it all surface to shrink it, it finally was put in but I feel the gap is big and car wasn't as smooth as before when driving.

So in retrospect, I believe the freezer approach is the right one, which didn't permernantly change the orgininal tolerance.

A few months later (summer 2011), the rear mount replaced by that guys seems to break again. This time, I ordered new parts, $35, and plan to do it over again with the experience/lessons gained last time.

Went all the wway through this post to get the one piece of info I was missing. Cut the old bushing housing out. I have a 2002 Sienna and there is a mounting bracket that the main bolt goes through that can be a pain to get out of the way. It has the 4 bolts that hold this bracket to the frame and the bolts, as far as i can see, are not removable from the bracket its self. I had to jimmy the bracket it to the rear just to get it out of the way, then begin the process of removing the old bushing out. TIP!!! - You will need to jack the car up on one jack and then place a 2x6 under the oil pan to left the engine up high enough to get the bracket mounts out from the holes that protrude down through frame. Thanks for the cutting tip and the freezing tip!

There is a little clang just as the motor fires on my wife's 04 Sienna XLE LTD AWD, I suspect a motor mount, could there be another reason, I have checked everything nothing seems to be loose, all exhaust systems. Can someone please tell me how to figure out which motor mount is bad and how to replace it. Thanks.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements