3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1SG
  • 1 Post By 1SG
  • 1 Post By 1SG

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
1SG

A/C Work On Gen 1

I have had to replace my roaring A/C compressor on my '98 Sienna LE with 166K miles. From shopping on the www, I think I found a good deal at Rock Auto for a new Denso compressor for $180. I also sprung for a new Denso condenser and Dryer. As a confirmed DIY'er, I spend a lot of time on YouTube, where I ran across some guys charging the R134a systems with "Dust Spray" (compressed air). This is also known as R152a. "They" say this stuff cools as good as the old R12 from "back in the day", and its compatible with the PAG 46 oil already in the system. So.....I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on the "weird" A/C refrigerant?
TIM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:24 PM
iRt

Re: A/C Work On Gen 1

I had never heard of this but just did a quick search. The thread here http://www.rx7club.com/1st-gen-archi...-997918/page4/ sounds very hopeful. There's some info on calculating the amount there.

When I do my cars, I always replace the orifice valve because they are only a buck or two and the old ones are usually pretty clogged up. I use an evacuator and I've never done it without one, I'm not sure of the results one would get without creating a vacuum before you add refrigerant.

Thanks for posting this, I just learned something. The last time I did an ac charge, about 3 yeas ago, the R134a cost something like $15 a can.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
1SG

Having just completed my A/C work with R134a, it cost me about $9/can at Walmart. But I do plan to move forward with re-evacuating and re-charging my system with Duster Freon, R152a. I understand that most producers of duster canned air have added something foul smelling in the mix to deter idiots from inhaling it. But, I also understand that you can order duster without the anti-inhalant additive from Ebay, which is what I need to do, as I want "straight" Freon in my car. I have read the rx7 blog that you mentioned....very interesting, to say the least. I have read that the R152a is compatible with PAG46, so if this stuff cools better than R12 with less head pressure (i.e., better gas mileage), why wouldn't I want to be the first kid on my block to try it. I will post my results when this grand experiment is completed. TIM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Did you use a website with step-by-step instructions? I would love to do my own DIY stuff on my 273,000 mile 2001 XLE, but I have zero experience when it comes to anything besides brakes and car audio. Any information you can share would be awesome.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
1SG

Okay, sports fans - the Duster Freon Experiment is over. Results - SUCCESS. I ordered cans of Gust Easy Duster from dustwithgust.com (I used my Amazon prime account) because this product does not contain the "huffing irritant" (which, if leaked into the cabin would smell really bad, I would imagine). It is 100% 1,1 difluoroethane CAS# 75-37-6. I also had to order a side entry can tap valve, Mastercool 85530. I put a vacuum on the system for 1/2 hour and then charged it with 3 cans of Gust. I am happy to report a 5 degree drop in the air temp at the louvers and a compressor head pressure drop of about 20 psi. In the south Florida heat, 5* is noticeable. I highly recommend duster spray freon to replace R134A.
TIM.
iRt likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 AM
iRt

I had to do some research to tell what the %#@! you were talking about... I've attached some pics (hope I got it right).

Do you use the Mastercool tool around the top of the can after you take the spray nozzle off the can... or just around the whole can?

I'm guessing that you're not adding any ester oil/PAG (whatever oil this vehicle uses) and that's ok because it remains even though the R134a leaks out?

Real interesting... you'll have to use it for awhile to see how it goes, in case there's anything weird that isn't revealing itself now (I guess it's called the test of time) and it would be nice if you could check back after a few months and post if it's still good.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GUST Easy Air Duster.jpg (143.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Mastercool 85530.jpg (115.5 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
1SG

You got everything correct.....the parts; the procedures. I have not had to add PAG46 oil, but they make an in-line container to add oil to the low side. I tap the duster can toward the bottom of the can for rigidity. So far, this freon is performing very well in our south Florida summer. Also, to add to my cooling-ness, I will be tinting my front 2 windows next week with some of that newer carbon ceramic film from Llumar or Intersolar.....probably about a 30% or 35% VLT rating. I'll hit ya back in a couple months.
TIM.
iRt likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
1SG

UPDATE: Well, it's been about 5 months since I outfitted my 98 Sienna with 3 cans of Keyboard Duster 'Freon'. I have suffered through another south Florida summer of ungodly heat.

Happy to report no leaks or issues with this Freon. My A/C was nice and cold all summer long. It continue to highly recommend this stuff, as long as you pull a good 1/2 hour vacuum on your system.

Best of luck to all!

TIM.
iRt likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 PM
iRt

Thanks for posting the update - neat experiment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page