98-03 Sienna transmission problems? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

98-03 Sienna transmission problems?

Anyone ever had transmission issues?

I had the torque converter changed in mine about a yr ago,was wondering if anyone had any issues with theirs.

one day my brother drove my van in the snow and i guess he gave it excessive wheelspin and burnt out the torque converter,which caused the transmission fluid to drain out when he parked.

it cost me $700 to have this done.

Since then i've put almost 30,000 miles and didn't have any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM

Re: 98-03 Sienna transmission problems?

Just make sure you do something with the fluid from time to time. My 2002 has 173,000 miles. I have pulled the plug, which drains 3 quarts, and added back 3 quarts, eventually changing to synthetic fluid. I do it when I think of it, because it is so cheap.

So far no problems, knock on wood, and shifts smoothly.

Others recommend pulling pan and changing filter or screen or whatever it has in it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM

Recently we had a P0773 come up on ours indicating a fault with the shift solenoid E. I read a TSB online that this may be a fault with the computer, but we're going to change the solenoid anyway as it occurred a few months after I changed the filter (We also reset the code 3 times already to make sure it wasn't a fluke). I've read that the failure of this solenoid isn't that uncommon on this Aisin trans ranging from the Camry, Avalon, and Sienna as well.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM

Owners manual says 5 quarts for a transmission drain and fill. At least for my 2003 it does. I have a little trouble reading the dipstick because the fluid smears when I pull it.

May want to check your owners manual about whether it takes 3 quarts or 5.

here I found a notation in the service manual
http://minivanclub.org.ua/info/Sienn.../ax/preche.pdf
look at page 7
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Devoted Member

Garage

Remember that if you're draining and filling your transmission fluid, remove both the differential and the transmission-pan drain plugs. If you only remove the transmission-pan plug, you won't get 5 quarts out.

In fact, you'll find most of the ATF will flow out through your differential drain. Now, this may sound controversial, but if you drain with a warmed-up and running engine, you'll remove the most fluid. The drain and fill fluid capacity is 5 quarts. I use Chevron MD3 ATF.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
jc
Devoted Member

pjksr02,

I removed both drain plugs, but I only put in around 4 litres this time which included dropping the pan and replacing the strainer. Last time I over filled it to around 5 litres.

No shift difference with 1 litre less in the transmission.

Regards, JC,

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactwrench
Owners manual says 5 quarts for a transmission drain and fill. At least for my 2003 it does. I have a little trouble reading the dipstick because the fluid smears when I pull it.

May want to check your owners manual about whether it takes 3 quarts or 5.

here I found a notation in the service manual
http://minivanclub.org.ua/info/Sienn.../ax/preche.pdf
look at page 7
I do not stand corrected. When I remove the transmission drain plug, 3 quarts come out, and I have done it a lot of times.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM

I have a Toyota Sienna 2001 with around 265,000 miles that when I start it in the morning and put the gear in drive it woun't engage until a minute or so before it moves forward or reverse it doesn't matter.
Could it be I need a new Torque Converter. I changed the transmission filter and the oil, when removing the pan everything was clean no metal particel in the magnets where present.

Please help

Thanks

William
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Oops, posted this same thing two years ago, sorry. Edited it out.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 PM

Transmission now has 198,000 miles and running pretty much the same.

In June I had to go back to Texas for immigration rule changes in Mexico. I had some minor work done at the dealer, and the mechanic wrote up a recommended fluid change for transmission; brake system; and power steering, I think it was. Estimated $1000. I just had them do it like three years ago, or so, except the transmission because I take care of that.

I certainly complained to the service writer. He said, "Well, they said it is STARTING to get dirty. And, the transmission is only $250."

Yeah, a new car with 0 miles is starting to get dirty.

I drop 3 quarts every year or two, and add three quarts back, and that transmission fluid is NOT dirty. Also, I have replaced it enough times with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF that it is primarily synthetic, and they would replace it with cheap stuff. Made me pretty mad.

If I could find another mechanic who could usually get me in and out same day, and use new Toyota parts, not cheap short lived rebuilt parts, I would stop going to the dealer. Stuff like that destroys confidence.

A few years ago, they recommended I pay them like $40 to adjust the parking brake, which is self adjusting. They assumed most people don't use it, so it gets out of whack. I live in the moutains and use it almost every time except in my own car port, which is the only place around which is perfectly level. When I stop on the hills, I first press the parking brake firmly, BEFORE I put it in park.

They didn't even check it; they just wrote it up hoping a gullible old fool wouldn't notice.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 AM
jc
Devoted Member

Irlandes,

Don't get bent out of shape. That's why we call them stealerships.

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM

HI Guys, i have toyota sienna 2004 model. 2 days ago i went to my friend house with my car.At that time there was no problem but at night the problem in my car is it goes backward only it doesnt go forward. If anyone give me answer it is good for me.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:55 PM

Just bought 2001 Sienna. Last two owners - no maintenance. Two questions: 1. Should I have transmission serviced, our will that loosen sludge and cause failure? 2. Timing belt and spark plugs, is there a way to check them, or should I replace? Any other suggestions? Oops that's 3. Vehicle runs fine.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 PM

On various message boards, I have seen arguments over automatic transmission flush "theory." Some believe that flushing an old transmission and adding new fluid will just loosen debris from a non-critical location and move it somewhere else. Additionally, new or different fluid can cause seals to expand or/or crack. Others think that removing old dirty fluid and debris is the best thing to preserve the transmission. To complicate the issue, there are 2 kinds of flushes:
1) Full fluid replacement without dropping the pan.
2) Partial replacement of the fluid by dropping the pan and replacing the filter and some fluid.
You could make a good argument for both cases. So you have to choose which one is best for you and your vehicle.(knowing the mileage)

Personally, I would go for a pan drop with filter replacement. If the filter has never been replaced, it could be very dirty and starve your transmission for fluid. This would cause slipping and eventually wear out the clutches.

As for the timing belt...
Many Toyota dealerships will place a sticker on the timing belt cover with the mileage when it is changed. Look and see if it has one. Additionally, maybe your closest dealer can tell you if it has a record of it being changed. If you have no information, you have to make a decision to spend $500 or risk losing your engine when/if the belt breaks. It is an interference engine.

And finally spark plugs...
Pull one or more of the front plugs and see how they look. The front 3 are easy. The back 3 can be tough. You can replace the 2 rightmost(facing the car) through the "hole" around the intake. The leftmost plug can be accessed from the left side of the intake manifold. If you search, you can find a procedure for doing it.

Last edited by RobertB; 09-03-2016 at 12:01 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:49 PM
iRt

Oldjarhead if you don't have a code reader you can get a basic one for $15 and I leave mine in the vehicle.

The only thing wrong with judging all the plugs based on the condition of one of the front ones is that the assumption is being made that plugs are all the same age. It's common for home mechanics (and crooked ones) to buy six and only end up doing the fronts.

As far as the timing belt... to me it depends on the mileage, the life expectancy of the vehicle and how much the vehicle cost. If the vehicle cost $800 there's no way I'd touch it. If it's got 197k it's either near 100k mi past where it should have been changed or coming up on a change, so if it cost $1200 -3000 I'd probably do it. There have been people who have reported over 200k mi on the original belt although I'd only tempt that if it was a $500 beater.

I've attached a pic of the timing belt sticker on my 2000 Sienna.

As far as regular maintenance, I'd clean the MAF sensor, replace the PCV valve and air cleaner and change the oil every 3000 mi with synthetic, Penzoil is $3 a qt this year at Napa after their rebates when it's on sale, I've got $48 in refunds from them this year. Other than that Napa's house brand with the discount you get from just signing up to their whatever club is about $5 a qt.

I have yet to do my trans fluid, I plan on just draining it into container I can measure and then replacing it with the same amount. To a degree you can inspect trans fluid by how it looks and smells. What you don't want is brown and burnt smelling, if it's red and clear the transmission is probably happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIMING BELT LABEL.jpg (314.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by iRt; 09-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Tags
9803, problems, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page