Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Top of the resonator rusted out?

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ybkm 
#1 ·
I had an exhaust leak, and also the dreaded P0420 code. Took it to my mechanic, he said the top of the resonator (the mid muffler) was rusted out at the TOP?? Never heard of that before. All exhaust leaks I have seen were rusted on the bottom of the pipe or muffler. He quoted me $303 to replace the pipe ahead of the resonator, the resonator, and the pipe behind that resonator. I was not interested in spending that kind of money. I stopped at a small exhaust shop, they put on a new resonator for $90. In and out in 30 minutes. It has a one year warranty. We will see how long it lasts. This van has 89,700 miles on it, so I have to get the 90k timing belt & water pump service done (quoted $710 by my mechanic) - so I did not want to put $1k in that van right now. This van is mostly a short tripper, so I was not surprised by the exhaust leak, but to have it on the top of the resonator surprised me. I reset the P0420 code with my Scan Gauge, so I hope that code goes away. That code seems to be common with Sienna's and Toyota's in general. Anyone want to guess how long that resonator will last? I could not walk away from 1/3 the price.

#2 ·
What year is your Sienna? Ive replaced my flex pipe and exhaust three years ago on my 98. I just had to replace my flex pipe two weeks ago (I found repair piece that went right up to before the cat). I found that part by searching on ebay from fast line muffler for $141 Canadian. If its not OEM then it will only last a few years (2 to 3).

$300 is not a bad price for the repair including labour.

Regards, JC.

#3 ·
2003 Sienna CE - 89,700 miles, many short trips. As far as I know the entire exhaust was stock until this resonator was replaced. At least it is quieter now. I have to say my 1996 Chevy Astro has a stock exhaust, that is about the only think that I have NOT fixed/replaced/swore at!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.