Timing Belt Change How-To - Page 2 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

Re: Timing Belt Change How-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspy
Just FYI...
[Matco] is a competitor to the probably more widely known [Snap-On] brand of professional automotive repair/service tools. They have their own regional distributors/sales & service force that drive around in service vans and go directly to shops.....similar to [Snap-On].
Thanks, that explains why rdnk454 was surprised by the performance comparison. I think it's important to note that companies like this (Snap-On, anyway) succeed at least as much due to their convenience, service, and readily available financing for trades people as due to the quality or performance of their tools. That's a factor in addition to the potential apples-and-oranges nature of comparing specific models from different manufacturer's lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspy
I see both in my area from time-to-time.
I have not seen Matco, but we do have Snap-On and Mac, operating in the same style. It seems from their web site that Matco is at least trying to expand in Canada. Apparently some dealers of this type will come to your home if they are assured of a sale; it is also possible to catch up with a dealer at a customer's shop, and Mac has a regular store here. Of course, now there is on-line ordering.

Okay, we have some more ways to get an impact wrench... back to the timing belt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Guys,

What about tips on removing the crankshaft pulley after the bolt is removed? I've read about some guys damaging the pulley by using a gear puller.

Is there an easy way of removing the pulley once the bolt is off?
I don't want to have to buy another SST (special service tool) in order to just remove the pulley.

I did buy the pulley holder from SJ discount tools. Can that be used with a breaker bar to slide the pulley out once the bolt is out? There are two bolts that are holding the pulley, so it seems like it's an option.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

My pulley came off by hand without too much trouble. The repair manual suggests using a pry bar behind the pulley to work it off if necessary. I used a puller with two bolts that went into the threaded holes on the pulley and that gave me something to pull on by hand. If its tight, spray it with some lube and tap it with a rubber mallet to try and loosen it up. It should come off without too much trouble.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Thanks Rdnk454.

I guess I will try by hand and if that doesn't work I'll resort to the pry bar and if not will go out and buy a pulley remover.

That will be in around 10 days. I have to change the timing belt on my wife's 97 civic first.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
jc
Devoted Member

Hey guys,

I will be attemping the timing belt this week. Just finished the timing belt on the 97 Civic. I thought the 4 CYL would be easier, but man some parts were a real PITA to remove. Very little clearance for some of the bolts and a seized idler pulley.

I will let everyone know of the details involved and tips to make life easier for the next amibitious person.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:01 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Hey everyone,

I was able to get the crankshaft pulley off using and air gun (ingersol Rand) and the pulley holder from SJ discount tools. Took more than 5 mins of soaking the bolt with WD 40 & penetrating fluid to get the sucker loose. When you use a gun make sure that you only use the socket (22mm) and no extension bars when using the gun. It will come up you just have to work on it to get it loose.

Now my big PITA is to get the power steering belt off. The manual says to loosen the nuts to the pulley and there is a second nut which is behind the opening hole. There is no Bleeping way that any normal guy can remove that nut....

Is it better to just loosen the nut on the center of the pulley to get the pulley off first and then once the pulley is off to loosen that nut that's impossible to get at?

Please help.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM

Jason,

Here is a picture of the pump during my timing belt change. All I had to do was loosen the bolt on the pump and let it swivel to take the tension off of the power steering belt so I could remove it. I did not have to remove the pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1944.JPG (230.6 KB, 329 views)
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM

Try one impact from harbor freight, they are at low cost. Im planning to buy one
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 PM
jc
Devoted Member

rdnk454,

Thanks for the pic. Unfortunately, That didn't work for me. What I had to do was to jam a small pry bar into one of the holes on the pulley and use a 17mm closed end wrench on the pulley bolt and lie on my back and push it up to break the bolt lose. I haven't got the Timing belt re-installed yet.

I had another issue when removing the engine mount. One of those long bolts broke in the mount, It wouldn't come out. I thought I was screwed. When I leaned on the bracket it popped off. I was able to get the middle engine mount off and then I went to my buddies shop where he took out the seized bolt by heating it up.

Then I was off to the stealership to pay $17 for a new bolt, luckily they had them in stock.

Then I got the belt off. All of the writing on the belt was completely gone (at 197,600 km or 122,000 miles). Belt was in good shape. Next was the water pump removal. Another member suggested just grinding away part of the third timing belt cover. Saves on removing the cam pulleys and putting the third timing belt cover off

It Sounded easy enough. But after I did that and smoothed out the rough edge, I started to notice that now part of the cover that is supposed to keep water and dirt out can't do that cause it's gone.

I almost had a $hit fit. Stupid me. So off I run to Canadian tire and buy some "red high temp gasket maker". I don't want water getting into that housing. So I came back home and applied the gasket maker. I used my inspection mirror to see that everything was covered. I will wait until tomorrow to check that out and then continue to reinstall the belt.

I will keep you posted along with my other tips.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 AM
jc
Devoted Member

Everyone,

The lesson here is, do not alter the third timing belt cover. Now I have to find a rubber sealant to plug into those spots on the engine to keep water and dust out. I'm not chancing that the Red sealant will do it alone..... Better to safe than sorry.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Help please,

I finally got almost everything back together minus the cowl. I hooked everything up, added new coolant, new spark plugs got that darn Power sterring belt on (had to reuse the original one since the new one appears to be smaller).

I threaded the timing belt at least 10 times to get to two top crankshaft timing marks and the lower crankshaft mark perfectly aligned. Then I hand cranked the engine at least 5 or 7 720 degree revolutions.

Everything was still in alignment.

Now when I turned it on it sounded horrible. I thought I BLEEPED it UP..... Got my code reader out and saw codes

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0110 Intake Air Temperature Circuit Malfunction

Did I disconnect something and not reconnect it? The only thing I know that is not reconnected is the wiper motor harness on the cowl.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Can't say for sure, but sounds like you may missed some wiring or got some crossed.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Rdnk454,

I found the problem! The PCV valve wasn't reinstalled and at first I didn't have the cable connected to the air cleaner box. I had to double check everything.
The engine sounded like a huge shreik. I thought I frigged it all up.

I fired it back up after installing the PCV valve and she roared to life..... I will do the road test tomorrow. Also going to bleed the brakes since I have the cowl off and I get to use my Motive brake bleeder.

PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Thanks again for the speedy replies.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM

JC,
I have not changed my own timing belt.....had that done at the dealership....about $500 for the belt and water pump installed.
However.......here is a link to pictures of much of what I have done with my 2003.....slightly different as it has the VVT.
I have pictures that show my brake fluid bleeding........at each wheel with a cheap "one man bleeder".
Master cylinder is kind of hard to get a motive power bleeder onto....
Bleeding the brake fluid at each wheel is a very good move....
http://rides.webshots.com/album/5765...navtype=search
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Wiswind,

Yes the motive needs to have the cowl removed in order to bleed the brakes. Got them done except I snapped the bleeder valve nut off when trying to loosen it!!! $$$$HIT. No fluid came out, so I bled the other three lines. The first line on the rear was very dirt, I'm guessing there was a lot of stuff in the master cylinder. When I bled the other two lines it was clean by that time. Flushed about 1 and a half litres of DOT 3 through the system.

I looked at your pics on webshots, did you do all that work with the rear manifold as well?

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's

Tags
belt, change, howto, timing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page