Timing Belt Change How-To - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Timing Belt Change How-To

This link used to be in the old forum. I know its a popular topic so I figured that I'd post the commonly referenced link. It is for a Camry, but the procedure is the same.
Timing Belt Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Supporting Member

Re: Timing Belt Change How-To

Nice! I'll use this post as a reference for my TB change tomorrow. I'll let everyone know my experience with the job.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:30 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Dloomis,

Any updates on the Timing belt change? Did you change the water pump as well or just the Timing belt?

I'm looking for that pdf on the metal bracket someone fabricated to help remove the lower pully bolt.

What special tools did you use/fabricate McGyver to get it done? I'm planning on doing mine this summer. I have 172,xxx kms (106,xxx miles) on mine original TB now.

Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Does anybody have a good set of instructions on making a bracket to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

I want to tackle this job myself this summer.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM

I remember that post from the old board.

However, I have one of these and it works great. It is under $70 and it works, no chance of breaking it and damaging something else:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sch64300.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Does anybody have a good set of instructions on making a bracket to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

I want to tackle this job myself this summer.

Regards, Jason.

1994 BMW 530i, 203K
1996 Honda Accord, 214K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 339K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 249K
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I used this --->http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ord=otc+toyota

I already had it and just ran bolts thru the holes on it to hold the crank pulley. You can see by the picture that it wouldn't be too difficult to fab one up out of some 1"x1/4" strap steel. Just make it long enough to wedge against the subframe because at least I couldn't hold it by hand while breaking the nut loose.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Thanks Rust Heap and kschachn.

kschachn, How does that pulley holding tool work? Does it attach to a breaker bar to work?

Do you need that and a separate breaker bar to get the bolt loose?

And lastly, does that tool work to re-tighten the pulley bolt when reinstalling the timing belt?

Are there any other special tools that are needed to remove any of the other bolts?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Yes, you use a standard 1/2" breaker bar to hold it steady. Get a big one, the larger it is the more leverage you get. Even a Harbor Freight bar should be fine.

You use the two bolts to attach it to the flywheel and then use a breaker bar to hold everything steady. It holds the flywheel steady for both removal and installation.

You'll need a 10mm socket-type allen wrench to get one of the the guide pulleys off, if you are changing those at the same time (I would recommend it).

If you're also putting in a new water pump then you'll need another tool to remove the camshaft pulleys. Here too there are commercial tools or you could use something homemade if you are handy.

1994 BMW 530i, 203K
1996 Honda Accord, 214K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 339K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 249K
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I know I'm opening myself up for criticism but here goes. . .

I did change the water pump, I didn't have faith it would last to almost 200,000 miles. I did NOT remove the cam gears to do this. For those that don't know, there is a plate that goes behind the cam gears but hangs down and blocks the removal of the water pump. I reached up behind it and found no supporting structure where it blocks the water pump. I just cut that part out with a 3" cutting wheel. It may sound hack, but it worked for me. YMMV
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm making a trip to the good ole USA at the end of the month. The land of more affordable auto parts.

I want to tackle the changing of my timing belt on my Sienna.

What special service tools should I purchase to do the job with minimal cursing and swearing once I have everything apart? Will the pulley slide off easily once the bolt is removed or is something special needed as well to remove the pulley once the bolt is off?

I found an interesting link on youtube for a home made pulley tool for a 4 cyl camry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2XuD1edio

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking at doing the water pump as well at the same time.

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM

To Anyone Changing Their TB,

A good impact wrench is worth its weight in gold for removing the crank pulley bolt. I just changed my tb out about two weeks ago, and I had trouble getting the bolt loose. I borrowed a Matco impact from a friend of mine and did nothing but rattle. I debating on buying the pulley holding tool, but decided to buy a bigger gun first and see if that did the trick. It made more sense to spend a little more for a tool I'll use over and over again than buying a tool I would use only once or twice. Here is the impact that I bought.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I had to turn the pressure up to about 125psi to break it loose but it did the trick. Wouldn't have guessed that the HD wrench would outdo a Matco, but it did. Hope this helps.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Rdnk454,

One more question, did you drain all the coolant when you removed the water pump? Or did you just remove the pump and let the coolant which was up at the water pump spill out?

Regards, Jason.

Air Lift 1000's
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Supporting Member

While impact wrenches are often used just to speed up the work, there are some jobs for which they fundamentally work a lot better.

I have rented an electric impact wrench to remove the crank pulley on one of our vehicles (didn't have an air compressor), and I eventually bought one when they got cheap, but I would be prepared to rent again if a particularly demanding job was too much for the tool I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk454
Wouldn't have guessed that the HD wrench would outdo a Matco, but it did.
The Home Depot tool is of the Husky brand. I had never heard of Matco and didn't know that the Husky brand included air tools, so I guess I wouldn't have an expectation either way.

The Matco impact wrench lineup has a dozen or so 1/2" drive models, with rated torque from half that of the Husky (a compact/lightweight model) to much higher (1,000 lb-ft versus 650 lb-ft for the Husky). I think just the brand is too much of a generalization for a useful comparison.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM

I drained as much coolant as I could via the drain on the Radiator, then let the rest spill out into a basin when I pulled the water pump off. Not the best way to do it, to be sure.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Supporting Member

Just FYI...
[Matco] is a competitor to the probably more widely known [Snap-On] brand of professional automotive repair/service tools. They have their own regional distributors/sales & service force that drive around in service vans and go directly to shops.....similar to [Snap-On].

I see both in my area from time-to-time.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
. Pod-Style Running Boards
. OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
. 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
. 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
. Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
. Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

Tags
belt, change, howto, timing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page