Replacing 6.5" front door speakers in 2001 Sienna XLE w/JBL audio system
Hi, this is my first post. If it's too long, please let me know and I'll cut it down. Thanks.
The speakers began to sound like those cars sitting next to you at the intersection where the stereo is turned up too loud and the body of the car is vibrating.
So I checked on the web and found out that the original speakers were 6.5" speakers rated at 30 W, 2.3 ohms. Amazon had a sale on Infinity Reference 6022i for $50 so I bought them. The local Circuit City was going out of business so I bought their wiring harness adapters for the speakers. The adapters convert Toyota's special connector (two equal size female spades placed perpendicular to each other) to two separate spades, one narrower than the other. I would have probably just crimped/soldered on my own spades except that I didn't have the narrow ones, and the clearance price on the adapter was only $3.90. The original spade connectors appear to be fairly easily removed from their plastic housing and could probably be easily reused, although they'd then be uninsulated if that matters.
Following the Toyota repair manual for the right door, I attempted to remove the window and lock switch assembly and the courtesy light. The switch assembly was tough and I didn't even bother with the light. Everything else about removing the door panel was relatively easy. I unplugged the courtesy light after the panel was off.
On the other door, I first took off the panel, then reached around from behind and unplugged the courtesy light. I then removed the switch assembly by pushing back on the metal clip at the front of the assembly with my finger. It popped out easily, then I unplugged the wires on the back before removing the switches.
The orig. speaker was mounted onto the door via a 1/4" or so thick plastic adapter. I unscrewed the 3 screws holding the adapter to the door, with the speaker still attached. The adapter also has a little awning built in to protect the speaker from rain dripping inside the door.
The upstream connector for the speaker's wires is located a few inches below the window opening. You have to peel the clear plastic sheet away a little to get at the connector. The connector itself has a built-in fastener that secures it to a hole in the door. You need to remove the connector from the hole in order to completely remove the speaker.
After you get the speaker out, you need to remove the 4 phillips screws that hold the speaker onto the plastic adapter. The stock speaker is also stuck to the adapter with a small amount of black foam glue, so you'll need to peel that away as you remove the speaker.
The Infinity speakers came with a strip of adhesive backed foam which is meant to fit into the channel along the back each speaker. However, if you put it there, it won't touch the plastic adapter. So I test fitted the speaker to the adapter and mounted the foam strip on the outside of the channel so that it helped to fill the gap between the speaker and adapter.
The Infinity speakers come with 2 pairs of their own adapters, one thin steel set and a thicker plastic set. The holes in the steel ones didn't line up with the van's adapters. The plastic ones had holes that would line up with the van's adapters, but then interfere with the speakers themselves due to the fact that the heads of the screws would be right where the speaker would sit on the adapters.
The speakers own oval holes were the closest fit for the mounting screws. However, I had to modify them slightly by clipping off the outside part so that they became open ended slots. The bolt circle diameter of the original speaker (the imaginary circle running through the middle of each hole) was just a few mm. larger that what the oval holes could accommodate, so I couldn't mount the speakers without the modification.
After that, I removed the original speaker wires from the old speaker, plugged in the wiring adapters, and plugged the adapters into the speakers. Mounted the speakers to the plastic adapters. Threaded the wires back up to where they connect to the wiring harness of the van and plugged them in. Screwed the plastic adapter into the door, then turned on the stereo to test.
Once I verified that it sounded OK, I replaced the rest of the door.
One more note: the tweeters on the new speakers have a push button switch. I'm not exactly sure what they're supposed to do but they're labeled as 0 db and +3 db so I just left them in the 0 db position.