How to reset tire pressure light 2006 LE?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to reset tire pressure light 2006 LE?

How to reset tire pressure light 2006 LE?

OK, I give up.

My tire pressure warning light comes on when the weather gets colder. I can't seem to reset it.

The manual says to park the vehicle, turn it off, apply the parking brake, turn the key to ON, and hold the reset button till the light goes off. This does not work.

Last time this happened I was able to reset it by randomly trying different things (engine running/not, parking prake on/off, etc.) but I tried so many things, I'm not sure what worked.

It's a 2006 LE with traction & stability control, no tpms sensors in the tires.

How do I reset it?
    Dave in WI

2006 Sienna LE
    2005 Accord EX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1975 Honda XL100

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: How to reset tire pressure light 2006 LE?

How can the system be reset if the vehicle (and its ECUs) is off?

To reset, the van should be parked. Then you press the button for several seconds, and the pressure light should blink three times.

From the manual (which doesn't mention the blink):

Vehicles without vehicle stability control system—Adjust tire inflation pressure. If
    warning light remains, contact Toyota dealer.

Vehicles with vehicle stability control system—Adjust tire inflation pressure and turn off
    warning light by pushing reset switch for a few seconds. If warning light remains,
    contact Toyota dealer.

If this doesn't work, then you will need to answer whether the light comes on solid, or whether it blinks for a minute first.

Also:

Supporting Member

Being an indirect system, it's the wheel speed sensors (adjusted for by other inputs like the steering angle sensor) that are being compared to determine if a tire is low. When sitting still, there is no tire pressure input (no actual pressure sensors), no wheel speed sensor activity, etc. If you cannot get the system to null out even under these conditions, something else is wrong. May just be time to take it in.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

Super Moderator

Don't forget to actually fill extra air in the tires!

In cold weather the pressure goes down and you need to add extra. Try to fill the tires when it's average to slightly colder than usual for the time of year. (And yes, you have to check/adjust it every month or two as the temperature changes.)

Not always as simple as resetting - at least not with my 2006 Sienna Limited AWD with run-flat tires. About a year ago, the tire pressure monitoring light (TPML) kept turning on after resetting. Went on for several months making adjustments to tire pressure, then resetting the TPML again - always came back on after driving 8-10 miles. Finally reached the conclusion that something was wrong because I couldn't believe that less than a half psi difference could activate the warning.

Brought it into the local dealership - went to the Express Service counter where I was scolded for not checking my tire pressure and told that they made the adjustments and I could go on my way - no charge. Sure enough, the light stayed off - strange thing though, also noticed a few days later that the driver seat adjustment memory function no longer worked. About 2 months later, my wife was nearly killed on a trip when the tire tread tore off the sidewalls on the driver side front tire - was just lucky in being able to safely slow to a stop from highway speed with only 3 tires. The TPML never came on, even with the tire ripped to shreds. Towed the minivan to the same dealership where the service techs replaced the destroyed tire and two additional tires ($300.00 total) because they were also damaged. A note on the bill indicated that the TPML was re-activated.

With the new tires, the TPML was on once again, with tire pressure set to factory specs in all 4 wheels. Re-setting the TPML according to the manual instructions turned off the light, which came back on again after 8-10 miles of driving as before. Interestingly, the driver side seat adjustment memory function was working again too.

Recently replaced a dead battery - at the dealership's Express Service counter. The TMPL was off when I picked it up - and the driver side memory was also not working. The TPML has also stayed off for two weeks now. My conclusion: the dealership shut off the circuit controlling the light, which happens to also power the driver seat adjustment memory buttons. I am quite sure this is not a safe condition, but the best I can do is to check the tire pressure every time the Sienna is used and stop to check tire pressure during long trips.

Anybody had similar experience and/or some suggestions on how to fix this?

Supporting Member

Interesting story! Too bad I don't believe a word of it. A Toyota dealer disabling a safety device rather than look for the root cause? Never!

Seriously, it sounds crazy enough to be true. I did some searching thru the only two electrical diagram sets that I have access to: 2004 (which doesn't seem to include the memory seat function) and the 2008 (by which time the TPMS system went to a transmitter system and has all new hardware and a separate computation unit. So while I got some ideas about power feeds, no smoking gun. It doesn't look like something obvious that they disconnected. However, Techstream (the computer interface) can query and switch quite a number of systems thru the body ECU. Perhaps there is a connection that they toggled.

Frankly, I'd make an appt with the service manager, sit down in the office, and go over all the details with him. They own you an answer. But given the liability they created, you still might not get them to fess up. You might end up having to open a case with National, as I sure your wife no longer trusts the van. Hell, if they really did this to you, you might end up as the new owner of the dealership!
    Last edited by fibber2; 02-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

8. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements