Possible bad a front wheel bearings?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible bad a front wheel bearings?

Possible bad a front wheel bearings?

So I have a 2009 Sienna XLE with 70,000 miles. I've been having this humming sound lately and it increases with speed. Humming is coming from driver side front. I can hear it at 20-30 mph and I can feel a slight vibration with the humming sound after 70 mph. Humming noise is louder when making a right turn. I decided to rotate my tires to see if it was a bad tire but the sound still persist. During the tire rotation, I checked and there is no play at all. Also inspected the axle and there is no tear or leak. So if there is no play, does it rule out the bearings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Possible bad a front wheel bearings?

If I were to guess, I would say yes to the bearing.

Turning right puts more weight on the drivers side. Does turning left reduce the sound?

Does putting the car in neutral at 20-30 reduce the sound?

I agree. The front passenger side wheel bearing of my 06 XLE were broke at less than 10k miles. It should be the wheel bearing if you hear the noise consistently without turning.

Quote Originally Posted by posguy View Post
    If I were to guess, I would say yes to the bearing.

Turning right puts more weight on the drivers side. Does turning left reduce the sound?

Does putting the car in neutral at 20-30 reduce the sound?

Turning left seems quieter that turning right. I haven't put the car in neutral at 20-30 but if I let off the gas, the noise is still there. And yes, the noise is there regardless of me turning or not. I made an appointment to get it looked at. This one shop that I called quoted $50 for labor/side. Does this price seem low? I have quotes from $200-500 per side. Dealer wanted $1,500 for both side and they only change in pair.

Mine cost around $1000.00 and paid under warranty. It was 5 years ago.

Just got back from the shop. Turns out it was not the bearing. The mechanic test drove the van, then put the van on a lift and listen to both bearings and the axle shaft bearing with a stethoscope. He even let me listen to it and all three area was quiet. He suggested getting new tires or balance the tires. Tires has about 50% tread left but has little dry cracks. Also, he stated that the noise most likely came from the loose plastics underneath the bumper. There were 4-5 missing clips/screws and that could cause the plastic to sag n when wind hits it, it can cause noise. No charge for his diagnostic but I gave him $20 for being honest. Most shop would of replace the bearings and gave me a bill.

Which shop was this? Treasure this mechanic, take his cell no for future. Not many honest mechs left.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Shop is in Milwaukee WI. Yes, I will be going to him for any future repair. Dealers wanted $125 just to look at it. Another bigger chain repair shop wanted $95 and a small repair shop wanted $60 just to look at it. This guy spent about 30min of his time driving, listening and telling me about the cost he would charge if the parts was bad. $50 for labor on the bearing and $80 for the axle bearing. Other shop wanted 3X as much.

Movan, what ended up being the problem? I have the exact same scenario as you except it's opposite so I'm thinking the passenger front hub bearing is the culprit. I think your mechanic wasn't checking the bearings right because he had no weight on them. Please let me know. I don't want my wife and kids broke down! Thanks in advance.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements