2006 Sienna tune-up
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2006 Sienna tune-up

2006 Sienna tune-up

So, I have decided to do a major tune-up on my van. I have 133,000 miles on it and haven't really done to much to it. Here is what I have done so far.

- New front brakes / rotors
    - PCV valve
    - Spark plugs (I didn't take anything apart for the rear plugs. If you want to know how, let me know)
    - Coolant flush
    - Transmission oil change
    - Oil / Filter change
    - Cabin filter
    - Air filter
    - Rear shocks

Is there anything else that I should be doing? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

jc
    Devoted Member

Re: 2006 Sienna tune-up

Have you replaced the timing belt? The 2006 is the last year for the 3.3 L engine and timing belt.

I would also do the following:
    (1) Drain the power steering fluid and replace that (can suck the fluid from the reservoir and replace.
    (2) Clean the brake booster vacuum line with seafoam
    (3) Clean the throttle body, throttle plate, and Idle Air Control valve.

Regards, JC.
    1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
    Air Lift 1000's
    Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
    264,xxx kms

Thanks. I didn't even think about those things, but will get them done also.

Do you have to change the shocks? I am really interested in your spark plug change methods without taking apart windshield plugs.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thanwu View Post
    Do you have to change the shocks? I am really interested in your spark plug change methods without taking apart windshield plugs.

thanks!
    I don't know how often you have to change the shocks. My rear tires started to cup, so my mechanic suggested changing them to see if that corrected the issue. They have also never been done, so it's not a bad idea to just do them.

Here is the video for changing the rear spark plugs. I will tell you that it is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done. It took me about an hour to get them all done and I never had to take anything apart. The only thing that was in the way was the PCV valve, but I was changing that anyway.

If your doing a drain and fill on the transmission fluid via the drain plug you only drained ~40% of the total. You will need to repeat that process a few more times to get most of it out.

Assume 9.5qt total capacity
    1st drain gets about 3.5 qts of old fluid, ~63% of old fluid (~6 qts) remains in the tranny
    2nd drain gets 3.5 qts but only ~2.2 qts is old fluid leaving ~40% old fluid in the tranny.
    3rd drain..... you get the picture of diminishing returns doing a drain and fill via the tranny drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by vckraft25 View Post
    I don't know how often you have to change the shocks. My rear tires started to cup, so my mechanic suggested changing them to see if that corrected the issue. They have also never been done, so it's not a bad idea to just do them.
    We changed our at 90k. The fronts are standard coilover struts so unless you hav a strut compressor, better to get a shop to do it. The rears you can probably do yourself. Fyi we had KYB installed ... a bit stiffer than stock but the car handles reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by vckraft25 View Post
    Here is the video for changing the rear spark plugs. I will tell you that it is a VERY tight fit, but it can be done. It took me about an hour to get them all done and I never had to take anything apart. The only thing that was in the way was the PCV valve, but I was changing that anyway.
    Did you do this with a 3MZFE engine? If so, did you disconnect the top engine mount bracket on the drivers side to allow more engine movement?

If you're doing a drain and fill on the transmission fluid via the drain plug you only drained ~40% of the total. You will need to repeat that process a few more times to get most of it out.
    You might want to consider a full flush via the cooling exit line from the radiator. It's very easy to do, requires a total of 12 qts of the (very inexpensive) Type IV tranny fluid. DIYs in other threads about this ...

9. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements