2006 Sienna XLE Limited...POWER third row problems.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Sienna XLE Limited...POWER third row problems.

2006 Sienna XLE Limited...POWER third row problems.

Hey everyone. I used to post in the "old" forums when I bought my wife's Dark Blue Sienna XLE Ltd. in 2006. Glad to see that everyone made it to the new forums....myself included.

Our Sienna has 50,150 miles on it, but is just shy of being 3 years old...so, of course...the warranty has run out on "non powertrain" issues. Well the 60/40 power third seat is acting up. The "40" part works fine, but on the "60" side, you push the button...the seat raises out of the storage area and locks into place...but the seat back won't go up. We took it to the dealer and paid a $50 diagnostic fee and they told us that there is something wrong with the track and that it will need to be replaced. The cost? $849 + tax!! I think it sucks that it broke before the 36th month, but the mileage is what put us out of warranty. The car has made a couple of trips to Florida but we hardly put the seats up and down. I guess an extended warranty would have been the way to go....but that's life...huh? That seat should have lasted at least 5 years without acting up, and the worst part about it....you can't manually use the seat...or we would do it!

Anyway....we decided to trade it in on a new 2010 Salsa Red Sienna XLE Ltd and the dealer is giving us a fairly good deal. What do you think?

They are offering us a fully loaded 2010 Sienna XLE Ltd with Power everything..including back up camera, RSE, NAV, Bluetooth and pretty much every option that our current van has, for $35,000. They are throwing in Sirius radio. (I had a "brain" installed into our current model after purchase for around $500) They are giving us $18,500 for our trade (our vehicle is very clean), and since we are trading...the tax on the deal is only $1,250. Our payoff is $14,781...so after all is said and done, we are financing $33,000.

That is the same amount we financed when we traded our 2000 Lexus RX300 in on the 2006 Sienna XLE Ltd. BUT...we got 1.9$ financing for 60 months then....

NOW the best they can do is 5.9 for 63 months. The payment is about $612 monthly...and we were paying $579...with only 2 years to go. We are getting the new one for peace of mind, and to have a "new" vehicle. Since the payments are similar, it is not like we are going way out of our price range. Also, this is a simple interest loan, so we can refinance any time after the first year and pay off the existing loan without penalty.

HOWEVER....We are LOSING laser cruise (which is no longer an option) and HID headlights, as the new one will have neither. Also...we like the wheels on our 2006 model better.

What I guess I am getting around to asking is: Does anyone have the 2010 Ltd...and are they very happy with it? I realize it is basically the same car that I already have, but am hoping that they have made some minor adjustments for the better. I understand the headrests are now "active headrests" and will move forward in the event of a crash to secure the head of the passengers, so that safety feature will be good to have. Also, I am pretty sure they have addressed the issue with the rear tailgate, as we had the recall done on our 2006 model.

Sorry for the long post...but wanted to get all the information out and questions asked. Looking forward to your comments and tips.

Thanks,
    Haze

EDIT: added descriptive word to topic title for better search accuracy & classification
    BY: topspy/Mod-Squad 8)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: 2006 Sienna XLE Limited...third row problems.

That's interesting. I had a similar (not exact) with the 40 side where the 3rd row seat wouldn't come out of the storage area. I found out that if I pushed down on it, it came out. What I discovered was that the carpet that was over the latch obstructed it. Once I moved it out of the way, the problem went away.

You can still get the Laser Cruise and HID here in Colorado on 2010 models. In fact, they are in the same package. Personally, I would just pay the repair bill and be happy, but that's just me...

Nate

Supporting Member

Welcome to the new neighborhood!
    Sorry about the broken seat.

Well.....we all have our own individual priorities and budgets.

Personally, if I had "extra" money I might go with a new car. But.....
    It generally does not make good economic sense. In the long-run, it is usually less expensive to keep a car as long as possible....within reason....until the repair bills start piling-up regularly and it costs substantially more to fix it than it is worth and/or you don't have any viable alternatives, or there are some BIG improvements in a new model, or a truly debilitating component failure occurs that affects the primary usability factors, or an important safety feature is compromised.

$850 vs $33K
    Or, just "live with it" until something else "major" requires attention and then decide at that time what to do.
    How often do you really "need" to use the broken seat, or change its configuration

You might also try "complaining" to Toyota corporate. USA Customer Experience Center: +1-800-331-4331.

Do what's best for you.

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

Didn't want to start a new thread on this. Our Sienna (06 Ltd) has the same problem with the powered third row seat as the OP (although our options don't include buying a new one ).

We do have a 2006 Limited Fwd with Limited Package #3 (i.e. with powered, split 60/40, third row seat) with 55,000 miles on it. Same as OP, the "40" part works fine, but on the "60" side, you push the button...the seat raises out of the storage area and locks into place...but the seat back won't go up. Dealer estimate says $435 for the "60" seat sub frame, $347 for the "40" seat sub fram and $736 for labor (estimate was for both sides, although the "40" works just fine).

Has anybody else experienced this?

Why is it necessary to replace the sub frame, if only a switch (!!!!) is broken?

Is there a way to DIY anything in regard to this?

Is there a way to fix it cheap?
    2006 Toyota Sienna Limited (FWD), Arctic Frost Pearl, Limited Pkg. #3

Supporting Member

Sounds like they may have a problem with the seat sub frame?? Why do they want to replace both if only one is defective? IF there is an updated seat sub frame then I'm quessing there was a problem with the original set-up. See if the dealer can search for a TSB on this? Extended warranty?
    2004 CE
    AIR LIFT '1000'
    OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
    'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
    Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

I have *exactly* the same problem with almost the same price estimate - on my 2006 Sienna Limited. However - the price the dealer wants is only for the '60' side.

The funny thing is I don't use my power seats all that often. I can't believe this is an isolated incident - I'm also wondering what part could possibly be that expensive and break. I mean is this something that can be bent back into shape?

I was thinking of calling the Toyota customer support line to see if this was a common issue.

- V

Quote Originally Posted by Dino III
    Didn't want to start a new thread on this. Our Sienna (06 Ltd) has the same problem with the powered third row seat as the OP (although our options don't include buying a new one ).

We do have a 2006 Limited Fwd with Limited Package #3 (i.e. with powered, split 60/40, third row seat) with 55,000 miles on it. Same as OP, the "40" part works fine, but on the "60" side, you push the button...the seat raises out of the storage area and locks into place...but the seat back won't go up. Dealer estimate says $435 for the "60" seat sub frame, $347 for the "40" seat sub fram and $736 for labor (estimate was for both sides, although the "40" works just fine).

Has anybody else experienced this?

Why is it necessary to replace the sub frame, if only a switch (!!!!) is broken?

Is there a way to DIY anything in regard to this?

Is there a way to fix it cheap?

Supporting Member

If you are out of warranty and are a little bit mechanically inclined... I suggest you check out alldata.com Toyota's manuals are there (for the sienna) along with tsb's etc. It could give you an idea of what is wrong... The subscription is around $30 for the year...

cheers,

shineysideup

Supporting Member

At ALLDATAdiy.com, a subscription for a single vehicle is US$26.95 for one year, but the real deal is US$44.95 for five years, which is what I bought. I have two current vehicles for which I want technical information, and additional vehicles are only US$16.95 for one year and US$29.95 for five years.

While the ALLDATAdiy material is not as nicely presented as the genuine Toyota manuals (e.g. scans instead of native PDF documents), I think it is well worthwhile for anyone intending to work on their own vehicles... especially if they have more than one. I bought 5 years for each of our two most recent vehicles (the Sienna and a Ford Focus) - total, US$75.

I have not yet used the TSBs in ALLDATA, but if I had this sort of problem I would be checking them!

I'm reluctant to subscribe unless I know there is a section specifically on the 3rd row power-assisted deployment system. I actually downloaded the service manuals from a different site, and they only included the manual 3rd row seats.

I also checked the service bulletins - and there doesn't seem to be one on the 3rd row seats - so perhaps this isn't that wide of a problem - or there are so few Sienna limiteds that Toyota hasn't chosen to do anything about it.

I'm at my wits end just looking at it visually and looking at the digram for the manual 3rd row seat. If one of you guys has a subscription to alldata, could you take a peek to see if there are diagrams for the power-assist 3rd row (that's in the Sienna limited).

Thanks.

I would be very happy, if I would be able to get that information as well!!

From what I've been told, it is a switch, which is broken (or just non-functional), but it is the whole sub-frame, which needs to be replaced. Reason for this still missing... In essence this means, I will have to pay more than 1,000 US-$ for a 5-bucks piece of equipment to be broken!!! Is that true ?!?

If there is anything to be DIY-able about this, I REALLY would like to know!

Problem in my Limited still exists - I'm just hesitant to shell out this much money for that small piece to be broken.

Frank

What exactly did they tell you? Because if it's a tiny switch that needs a replacement electronic part - I have no problems soldering a new capacitor/transister/circuit element in.

I am assuming you and I have exactly the same problem. So to reiterate, it's my '60' portion of my 60/40 third row. The entire element comes out of the bay, but the seatback won't deploy (it stays folded) - and the unit beeps - and my 3rd Row Seat light is on in my dash.

Since I don't have a diagram of the motorized version of the 60/40 3rd row seat, I'm not sure what element I need to get at and where. I took a peek at the bottom - and I think all of that stuff on the bottom of the seat is for pulling the entire seat out of the bay. I suspect that the motor/electronic elements are in the seat back because I can hear a click in there when it's trying to unfold that portion.

I have started to pull the covering off the back of the seat back - you unscrew the screws on the plastic bag hanger, the pull very carefully on certain parts of the leather seat cover - it uses plastic tabs to hold it on - got to be careful not to break them. Next step is to remove the metal retaining rings that hold the seat cover together. In the Toyota manual it mentions to cut these off - and to replace them when reassembling with new rings. Problem is I don't have a bag of these rings to reattach them, so I might just use some pliers to get them off - and then back on again later.

Haven't got much farther than that. Would like to get more information before I proceed any further - because at this stage, I can pretty much reverse everything I did pretty easily.

Thoughts?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by venture
    I'm reluctant to subscribe unless I know there is a section specifically on the 3rd row power-assisted deployment system. I actually downloaded the service manuals from a different site, and they only included the manual 3rd row seats.

... If one of you guys has a subscription to alldata, could you take a peek to see if there are diagrams for the power-assist 3rd row (that's in the Sienna limited).
    I checked in ALLDATAdiy; the subscription is specific to year (2004) and drivetrain (2WD in my case), but not to trim level. For instance, my LE does not have a power hatch, but the provided information includes at least detailed component placement for items specific to the power hatch. Strangely, under "Seats" there is detailed information for the power driver's seat (which is typically only in LE trim and higher), but no mention of powered third-row seats. This may be a problem, but if the power third-row seats did not appear until after 2004, then my view of the material would not tell us anything useful.

Supporting Member

I forget what year, but POWER 3rd-row came after 2004....maybe 2006 or 2007ish

A quick glance at Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna ), shows 2006.
    Scroll approx 1/2-way down the page to the section that says [Model Year Changes].
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

What exactly did they tell you? Because if it's a tiny switch that needs a replacement electronic part - I have no problems soldering a new capacitor/transister/circuit element in.
    Sorry, I was just so baffled by the pricetag, that I didn't listen carefully enough. No more info though (at least yet).

I am assuming you and I have exactly the same problem. So to reiterate, it's my '60' portion of my 60/40 third row. The entire element comes out of the bay, but the seatback won't deploy (it stays folded) - and the unit beeps - and my 3rd Row Seat light is on in my dash.
    ...as is the very exact same problem (and symptoms) in my car...

Thoughts?
    Not really. But I amable to use a soldering iron as well, so if you are able to dig out some info, that would be very much appreciated.

Frank

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast