Sienna Power Sliding Door PROBLEMS - THE THREAD
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sienna Power Sliding Door PROBLEMS - THE THREAD

Sienna Power Sliding Door PROBLEMS - THE THREAD

There seem to be many threads about issues with the power sliding doors (that apparently only appear once the vehicle is out of warranty...) So, in the interests of bringing everything into one place on this, I thought I'd kick off this thread.

I think the main thing that most people want to know is once their power doors give out, how they can physically disable/remove the power door system so that they can actually open their door. This is what I would most like to know - I can't imagine that you need to open up the whole door to cut a few cables! Is there no one here who has done this before?

To help the discussion, I have attached excerpts from the 2004 Sienna service manual, as well as a relevant TSB on the subject.

Anyone out there with pictures, first hand experience, please reply! Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Sienna Power Sliding Door PROBLEMS - THE THREAD

We had our driver's side rear door jamb open this spring, in bitterly cold weather, requiring me to cut the cable (at exposed ends) to get the door to shut. I later took the door apart to remove the motor. The "spool" on the original motor grenaded itself, shattering the housing and permiting the cable to fray and kink.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. new motor assembley at about $800.00 (cost)
    2. new spool assembly at just under $400.00 (cost)

The spool assembly on the new motor appears to be have been beefed up in comparison to the old unit. Great to know that the original part could have used this originally....

The replacement can be a DIY, with some mechanical savvy and a copy of the TSB. For the present time, we just the use the door as a manual door.

It is really discouraging to be a beta tester for Toyota technology, with no warranty coverage or service campaign support provided. Don't get me started on being 2.5 months out of warranty, but under on mileage, for the front door check, extended service campaign...
    2012 Toyota Sienna Limited: Blizzard White over Grey with all OEM packages
    Sold: 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited: Stratosphere Mica over Grey with all OEM packages
    2013 Honda Accord EX-L NAV V6: Modern Steel Metallic over Grey

Thanks so much for the input of your experiences!

What do you mean you cut the "exposed ends" of the cable?

The only place that I can see a visible cable is at the back of the door near the window, it runs along the track that the door slides into. Is this the one you cut? Thanks in advance!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by spender
    What do you mean you cut the "exposed ends" of the cable?

The only place that I can see a visible cable is at the back of the door near the window, it runs along the track that the door slides into. Is this the one you cut? Thanks in advance!
    The cable has stationary anchors at both ends of the track in the body. It runs along the track, into the door and around the spool, and back out of the door again to the other anchor. The front anchor point is visible only with the door open; I found that getting at the rear one required popping the vent window latching mechanism off to allow the window to swing open wider. In power operation, the door essentially pulls itself along the cable.

Both ends of the cable are reasonably easily detached from the body without damage (to the cable or any other part), but if the cable is jammed in the spool (as both osteome's and mine were) that would leave two loose cable ends floating around, with a total length of the length of the track. Since the cable was frayed and obviously unusable anyway, I just clipped it with cutters where it went in and out of the door, as well as removing the cut-off parts from the vehicle at the anchor points.

This is very helpful! The KBB on my van is now about $10,000 (and it's an XLE), so I don't see myself spending $2,000+ on a repair like this. I'll be going "in" tomorrow, and will take and post pictures as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    I found that getting at the rear one required popping the vent window latching mechanism off to allow the window to swing open wider. In power operation, the door essentially pulls itself along the cable.
    I am getting set to do this on the weekend, and have noticed that there appears to be a plastic cover near the back of the van sliding door channel - I assume that this comes off to get access to the wire - is it screwed on or does it snap off?

Supporting Member

I am getting set to do this on the weekend, and have noticed that there appears to be a plastic cover near the back of the van sliding door channel - I assume that this comes off to get access to the wire - is it screwed on or does it snap off?
    I had forgotten about the Slide Rail End Moulding. The manual's component diagram seems to show a bolt at its rear end, but think that's just a misleading drawing; the one I have attached is an extract from the installation instructions (for the driver's side), showing the clips. I don't clearly remember removing this piece, but I think it was a prying exercise requiring some care to get the right place (and I didn't have the manual page at the time).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian_bp
    I found that getting at the rear one required popping the vent window latching mechanism off to allow the window to swing open wider. In power operation, the door essentially pulls itself along the cable.
    Send me a personal message and I can pass along the TSB with the instructions on how do the repair.
    Sold: 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited: Stratosphere Mica over Grey with all OEM packages

Is this the part to be removed? It's called the door motor in the TSB:

That is the part that can be removed. The spool hosuing on mine was shattered. The replacment motor has a beefed up housing. Thanks Toyota for having me test your original design!

Hi - I just had my drivers side door fail on my 2004 Sienna. I see that some of these messages mention that just the hub with the cable can be replaced. What are the correct part numbers for the door repair? I see 3 parts in the TSB are all needed or just the hub and cable?

Thank you,

I don't have the part numbers handy, but until recently you could only buy the whole motor. Now you can just buy the spool assembly, which is the part that typically detonates. It can be a little tricky to replace (don't let the wire unfurl as you place it on the motor...think replacing the idol head with the bag of sand in Raiders of the Lost Ark). The replacement spool assembly is beefier....so I am presuming that Toyota has identified this as a weak part. Glad I got to test the "prototype".

What did Toyota save, 5 bucks maybe, on the weaker design.....

We are looking at purchasing a replacement van in 2012...perhaps I will have to suck it up and look at the coffin sided Odyssey at that time.

I started having problems with the right side power door yesterday (3/10/10). For the first few times you could hear the door motor engage, then it would finally catch and the door would open. Now it just grinds and you must open the door manually. Is this what has occurred to others?
    2003 Midnight Blue Volvo S60 AWD
    2004 Phantom Gray Sienna XLE
    2004 Silver Dodge Stratus

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiennaOwner
    ...For the first few times you could hear the door motor engage, then it would finally catch and the door would open. Now it just grinds and you must open the door manually. Is this what has occurred to others?
    That's not my case. My cable jammed, so the door could not be moved even manually; this one sounds like it is slipping... still seems to be a cable problem.

Supporting Member

I have now equipped my Sienna with some wire cutters (and a small hacksaw).....just in case my power door(s) fail(s) while away from home and get jammed in an open position. :o

YMMV.
    Good Luck!! 8)
    2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
    . Pod-Style Running Boards
    . OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
    . 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
    . 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
    . Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
    . Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
    . Longer front wipers
    . Britax Frontier 90

17. Remove Advertisements