2005 Sienna XLE Limited: Parking Sensors (sonar) go off while driving
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Sienna XLE Limited: Parking Sensors (sonar) go off while driving

2005 Sienna XLE Limited: Parking Sensors (sonar) go off while driving

My 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited has parking sensors ( they call them sonar) that beep and display red dots when your are getting to close to somthing. They now just start beeping while driving down the road randomly. Is anyone else haveing or had this problem? How was it resolved?.....THX MIKE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: 2005 Sienna XLE Limited: Parking Sensors (sonar) go off while driving

I have an '04 sienna. Started having the same problem the last couple weeks. It's the drivers side sensor for me. Have to do some investigating! Quite annoying!

cheers,

shineysideup

Quote Originally Posted by MTCrist
    My 2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited has parking sensors ( they call them sonar) that beep and display red dots when your are getting to close to somthing. They now just start beeping while driving down the road randomly. Is anyone else haveing or had this problem? How was it resolved?
    Is it just one sensor tripping or is the whole system resetting?
    Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
    Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3

jm

I have a 2006 Sienna XLE. Fighting this problem for months. All sensors go off at random, while driving at any speed. placed one sensor, no help. must be contoller or problems with wiring harness?

any input apprecited. Toyota is not helpful.

jon

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by jm
    I have a 2006 Sienna XLE. Fighting this problem for months. All sensors go off at random, while driving at any speed. placed one sensor, no help. must be contoller or problems with wiring harness?

any input apprecited. Toyota is not helpful.

jon
    I was going to replace the one sensor... but the center sensor started acting up the other day. I'm glad that there is a on/off switch! Just saw a complete rear sonar sensor kit at Crappy Tire for a $100. If I decide to "fix" this it will likely be in an budget minded manor such as this. Could all the sensor's go bad at once? I suppose...

jm

I removed the navigation unit and radio to fix another problem. Guess what, the sonar was going crazy. Everytime I touched something, moved something, touch a wire, it went off. I am more inclined to think that it it the computer unit or some interface back there, or that the whole system is just junk. I would not waste money on replacing another sensor....

Good Luck and let me know if you find anything. I am going to remove the computer and check all the connections to the wire harness in the next day or so. I will let you know if this accomplishes anything besides wasting time.

thanks for your reply.

jon

this just started happening as well in my 2004 XLE Limited with 97k

does anyone have any other ideas to help trouble shoot this?
    08 Tundra Crewmax
    04 Sienna XLE

if it is just one sonar sensor, it may mean that it is disconnected. I have a disconnected one and whne I have the sonar on, the disconnected one beeps to remind me it is disconnected.

I have a 2006 and the whole sonar system resets randomly while driving.

I have been experiencing this same problem for over a year now, when the sonar system is enabled it may occasionally reset itself (i.e. beep and show all sensors lighting up at once). Took it to one Toyota dealership and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. After that I investigated a little bit more myself and found that the problem seems to be with the button itself or underlying switch and that if I lightly touch the button when it is enabled I could set it off. It seems like the button itself may be overly sensitive or broken somehow.

Took it to a second dealership who saw the problem and said they were going to replace the switch. They did the work, but the problem is still occurring. I am honestly not sure that they did anything at all as the button still feels loose and overly sensitive and I expected it to feel more solid.

They said they are going to investigate the problem further, but has anyone actually found a resolution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

John

Hello - first time poster here!

My 2004 sienna was having this exact issue. It's my wife's car and she always keeps the sonar/parking assist on all times. She said it was turning off and on randomly. I witnessed it, and noticed when I push the button in and hold it in when driving, it did not have the problem.

So I just told her to drive with her finger on the button the whole time....

Just kidding.

Today I removed the DVD unit, then removed the console with the AC display/controls that has the button.
    with the console on a table, I removed the four screws and pried open the unit. I then had to disconnect two cable connectors.
    Finally, after many screws, and two more cable connectors - I had the electronic board with the switch ready to test.
    (Be careful with the connectors, and keep the console face down the whole time or the buttons will fall out!)

So testing the button with my meter (SW501 labeled on the board), with three of six solder points in the back being activated or connected when the button should be 'on' - I can wiggle the button from the other side and get intermittent connection. - this points to the button.

My plan is to buy a new button, but I will have to find it via some electronic supplier like digi-key.
    But for now, I just laid solder along the back three connectors (shorting the button on).

SO far, so good after reassembly and test drive. I shot one or two pics during the fix, and it my fix holds - I will post them.

Hope this helps someone.

Hello. I have the same problem with my 2004 Toyota Sienna parking sensors. Am wondering if your fix action repaired the problem. Thanks!

Hello. I have the same problem with my 2004 Toyota Sienna parking sensors. Am wondering if your fix action repaired the problem. Thanks!

I also have a 2005 Sienna XLE Limited. My sonar goes off, but only when in reverse. One long steady beeeeeeeeeeeeep until I put it into drive. It happens more on sunny days, but not exclusively. is there a lens or something to go over the sensors on the outside of the car?

My 2005 Sienna XLE Limited is having similar problems, though my sonar goes into a steady beeeeeeeeeeep when I put the vehicle in reverse. It ends as soon as it is out of Reverse. I thought it might be a lense or something on the sensors on the exterior, but can't find any information on this. I am not handy with cars. Any insight or suggestions that a girl like me can really do?

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements