Power Side View Mirror Problem
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum – General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Side View Mirror Problem

Power Side View Mirror Problem

I have a 2007 Sienna XLE and recently the driver side power side view mirror make a loud noise every time I turn the car on. It sounds like a motor is running but nothing is moving. Closing and opening the mirror or adjusting it does not make the noise stop. The only way to get it to stop is to push the mirror forward or back. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: Power Side View Mirror Problem

So step one is to confirm that it really is the sound of a motor. I once had a continuous buzz from a mirror, and it turned out to be wasps!

Is it actually driving the mirror glass? If you push against the glass and 'jump' the gear set, does the mirror move to restore it's position?

If it is a motor, then it's getting power. But from where? First, try overriding it by working the dash switches. One might be stuck closed. Move the selector switch from left to right, and see if anything changes.

Second thought is that it might be a short in the wiring bundle that feeds into the door. Does opening or moving the door change anything? With the door open, grab and manipulate (gently) the rubber bellows that houses the wiring going from the body into the door and see if anything changes.
    '08 Sienna LE (FWD) in Slate Metallic, '02 and '14 Subaru Outback wagons
    Sienna:
    Enabled DRL & VIP RS3200 Security
    Curt 13256 2” receiver hitch & Air Lift 1000 rear spring bags
    Fog lights, mud guards, & door sill protectors
    Avery ‘Touring’ custom grey carpet 3 piece floor mat set
    Continental Extreme Winter on Sport Edition F7 rims, TMPS & ATEQ reset tool
    8yr/125k $0 deductible Platinum warranty

Positive that is some sort of motor/ gear or belt moving as the noise goes away when we turn the car off. It is only on the driver's side. The mirror has both the capability for the glass to be adjusted and for the whole mirror to close against the side of the window. Both of these functions still work.

The "motor" can be stopped if we physically push the mirror all the way open (past the normally stopping point) and then pull it all the way closed (although sometimes it takes several cycles to get this to work).

The sound is like a gear running but not catching on anything.

Someimes when we don't do anything it will also stop after awhile.

Supporting Member

Agree, it sounds like one of the motors is getting constant power, moves full travel, and is just sitting there grinding away. Before long it will overheat and die.

If you want to tackle this yourself, begin by downloading the shop manual for the van here: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805.0
    The power mirrors are in section 70, page 36. A few pages prior there is coverage on the electric mirror defroster as well. You will see from the power application table on page 39, that power and ground needs to be applied to pairs of wiring in order to move either the up/down or left/right motor. If you disconnect the harness from the switch, the mirror should get no power. If it still moves, then the problem is likely in the wiring harness between the body and the door - a short that is feeding power intended for maybe the power windows to the mirror. If all goes still, then the problem could be in the dash switch, although it seems strange that it doesn't affect the other mirror also.
    Sienna:

There probably are some internal switches that stop the power folding mechanism, which are malfunctioning. Unfortunately, the mirror is listed as a complete assembly on the Toyota website. I would take the mirror apart and see if it can be easily fixed.

I bought a 2006 XLE Limited with this same problem. A mechanic friend and I took apart the mirror but it is no way an easy fix. Toyota does not make spare parts or motors...only complete mirror assemblies. I bit the bullet and paid $522 with tax at my local dealer for the new mirror assembly. At least it came painted and came in the next day. FYI: these mirrors have two motors: one to tilt the mirror and one to fold the whole assembly in towards the window. I kept my old mirror in case I need it for parts, but I would part it out if someone needs it.

Supporting Member

Ouch! A real premium in price for the folding mirror over the basic motorized mirror. When my wife damaged one last Spring, I saw the basic whole unit on line for around $150. I ended up just changing the glass/heater for $45 and epoxied the motor assembly back into the case.
    Sienna:

I had the same problem with my 2007 limited. The motor would run but the mirror would not fold in. As a result the mirror was loose and would fold in while driving above 50 MPH. Lukily I had an extended warranty I did not have to eat the $585. cost. If I did not have the warranty I would have drilled a small hole and put a screw in to secure it.

I have the same problem with the power mirror of a Sienna limited 07 ...just wanted to know if you found a solution??

My drivers side mirror won't fold in\out when useing the switch on the dash and at high speeds the mirror just folds in against the car. How were you able to get the mirror apart?

The driver side mirror on my 2006 stop swinging in and out andI could hear the motor running. The other postings are correct that there are no Toyota replaceable mirror parts and that you are required to replace the whole unit for roughly $500.00. I didn’t feel like spending the $500 so I decided to take a look inside the unit. What I found was a plastic gear had snapped into two pieces. I didn’t have much luck looking on the Internet for a replacement gear (If someone has betterluck please pass the information along). So I Crazy glued the gear together. Then I took two stainless washers slightly smaller than the gear and crazy glued them to each side of the gear for reinforcement and reassembled the unit. So far so good.
    Now getting to this gear is a little bit of a challenge and requires a little time. Take the mirror assembly off the car. Visit the websitemuthco.com for instructions on how to remove the glass from the mirror. Once you get the glass to snap out you will need to remove the connector for the mirror heater and the two connectors for the turn signal. The turn signal connectors are hooked right to the glass so make sure you push down on where the connector connects to the glass while pulling up on the connector.
    The flat piece of the arm that connects to the door has the wire running through it. You will need to remove the rubber seal from the inside of the unit and remove the wire harness clamp. There are three screws that hold the mirror to the arm. You will need to remove all three screws. Now place a mark on the mirror that aligns with and one of the studs sticking out of the mirror. Also mark the stud. Pull as much wire as you can through the arm.
    Next take the screws out of the mirror motor unit that connect it to the mirror housing. There are two screws on the exterior housing,one where the mirror connected to the arm and another by the marker light. Remove the marker light cover and remove the bulb from the cover. There are three screws on the interior of the housing left,top, and right of the mirror cradle. Gently work the mirror motor unit out of the housing.
    Disconnect the wire harness that goes to the mirror cradle.There are two red wires that go to the mirror arm motor. I was unable to disconnect these wires. The top of the motor unit snaps onto the unit.Gently pry back the four snaps and lift the top of the motor housing off. This gets a little tricky because the wire harness for the entire mirror assembly runs through the unit. On the end of the motor shaft there may be a little rubber connector. Make sure you don’t lose it. Prior to removing the gear assembly, place aligning marks one on the screw stud that connects to the arm and a mark on the motor housing. Next there will be two screws that need to be removed from the white top cover of the gear housing. Remove the two screws and lift up. You will now be able to see the gear assembly.With a pair of needle nose priers pull out the gear assembly. Hopefully at this point you have found your problem. Reassembly in reverse order and make sure that you properly connect motor to the gear assembly with the little rubber connector and that you use your marks to line things up.
    Last edited by robertmoore0012; 09-23-2012 at 04:42 PM.

My LH mirror was also making noise and did not fold in but every thing else worked fine. I removed the mirror from the mirror unit by adjusting my mirror all the way up and out a bit. Then with a flat screw driver I carefully pried out on the bottom of the mirror until it came loose on the bottom mount. It then swung up and I was able to remove the mirror from the top side. Be carefull not to pull on the heater and turning signal wires. Since I do not see a need for the drivers review mirror to fold in I found the two wires that go into the top of the motor unit and cut one of them. The noise stopped. Before I cut the wire I played with the mirror position and controls until the mirror was not loose on the base. I then replaced the mirror in the reverse order I took it off. I pressed in carefully at the bottom to make sure the mirror was seated properly. All else is working find at least for now and no noise. Praise the Lord.

I have a 2006 XLE Limited, and am also having a problem with this... I just want it to stop making the noise. I took the bolts out of the bottom, disconnected the mirror from the van, but could not figure out which wire to cut. I tried to remove the motor from the mirror but could not figure out how to get it out without breaking something. I've found as most of you have, that if you push it out and back in it will eventually stop. Sometimes if I press the button to bring the mirrors in, it will stop after a few minutes. You'd think this would be Recall item. I've talked with many other owners of this year's van, with the same problem.

Our 2006 le sienna does the same thing. Thanks for the post on how to fix. It is so annoying on top of the stupid navigation system failing. Hubby will now know how to fix it with super glue. Not going to give Toyota another dime if I can help it.

I wonder if anyone tried to use an xle mirror with turn signals. To a LE version without.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements