2011 sienna dead battery
NEWS

1. Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum General discussion forum for Toyota Sienna

Welcome to Toyota Sienna Forum - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Sienna.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Sienna Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 sienna dead battery

2011 sienna dead battery

anybody having issues with a dead battery or battery drainage on the 2011 sienna? mine has 900 miles and use it once a week and every week the battery is dead anyone have or had this problem. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Re: 2011 sienna dead battery

I don't have this problem, but then I don't even have a 2011. Some owners of second-generation Siennas (2004-2010) have had a problem with some parasitic electrical load killing the battery while parked... I suggest a search beyond the 3rd Generation part of the forum, since it could be a similar problem.

Supporting Member

A good battery that is fully charged should hold for a couple of weeks. Extreme cold or heat will shorten the period. I would let the dealer check the battery and charging system. My 2005 Avalon was 2 weeks old and the battery failed so it is possible you have a defective one.

Supporting Member

Drive it back to the dealer. I'm sure they'll replace the battery.
    This was definitely a problem with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd gen Sienna XLEs or Limiteds.
    2006 LE 8 Salsa Red
    87,xxx miles
    Michelin Defender Tires
    K&N Filter

Before taking it back to the dealership, make sure there aren't any accessories or devices plugged in that could be draining the battery. e.g. ipod devices or dvd players, etc...

thanks for all the input... i ll guess i have to bring to the dealer...

Talking to my dealer about the brake light bracket recall, the tech said they had someone bring a 2011 in for a dead battery. It was a deformed bracket keeping the brake lights on that killed the battery. So while not likely, might be something to check.
    2011 South Pacific Pearl SE

I'm sure you've thought of this...but children can sometimes leave interior lights on. We've had this happen a few times. Thankfully it's never killed the battery though.

our van often go's a couple weeks without moveing and it has never had a dead battery yet.

I have a 2011 Sienna LE that has a problem with constant dead battery issues also. It happens mostly in the winter after the van sits in my garage unused for a couple days or more. When I brought the van back to the dealer last winter, they simply gave me a new battery. I was sort of satisfied at the time thinking it could have been a bad battery. But now, a year later, it's happening again. I am extremely careful about not leaving anything on that would drain the battery. When I check my battery after the van sits idle for only 1 day using a battery tester I use to test trolling motor batteries on my boat, it shows it drained by about 1/3.
    The van is currently back at the dealer and I'm having problems with them diagnosing the problem properly. It's exhausting dealing with these idiots! They can't seem to understand how to properly test for this problem. I told them that I will not take the vehicle back until there is some corrective action taken either by them or Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by vanjohn9 View Post
    I have a 2011 Sienna LE that has a problem with constant dead battery issues also. It happens mostly in the winter after the van sits in my garage unused for a couple days or more. When I brought the van back to the dealer last winter, they simply gave me a new battery. I was sort of satisfied at the time thinking it could have been a bad battery. But now, a year later, it's happening again. I am extremely careful about not leaving anything on that would drain the battery. When I check my battery after the van sits idle for only 1 day using a battery tester I use to test trolling motor batteries on my boat, it shows it drained by about 1/3.
    The van is currently back at the dealer and I'm having problems with them diagnosing the problem properly. It's exhausting dealing with these idiots! They can't seem to understand how to properly test for this problem. I told them that I will not take the vehicle back until there is some corrective action taken either by them or Toyota.

** Have you heard back from the dealer yet? If not, have you notice any fan noise after turning the engine off?

We have a 2007 Sienna that have had some issues w/battery drainage, but only when we were parked and waiting for someone for more than 10 minutes. With all accessories off, all lights off, the battery was drained. The only conclusion I could come to was that the key was in the ignition on all these occasions. Why having the key in the ignition in the off position (trust me, I've verified this) would cause the battery to drain is beyond me and I'm about to conclude that this is by design to prevent auto theft (person leaves keys in car...thief attempts to smash and drive, but dead battery prevents drive away). Seems pretty unlikely this was a scenario Toyota engineers would consider.

Also, why the heck wouldn't Toyota put a timer on the interior lights to auto shut-off after a few minutes?? My 1999 Explorer has this feature and has saved me from dealing w/a dead battery numerous times. Duh!

I had a dead battery with my AWD Ltd. I had to go to the dealership twice to get it replaced. It seems ok now after replaced.

OEM batteries seem to be weak. When we first got out 2006, my initial vehicle check found that three of the six cells had low water. That told me that whoever did the initial fill was not doing it correctly.

For noise after turning the van off, see this thread http://www.siennachat.com/forum/89-2...en-parked.html
    Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
    Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3

I have a 2011 Sienna driven 7000 miles in 14 months. I have had dead battery issues about 5 times. I keep it in a garage and drive about 4 to 6 days a week. After a few months it wouldn't start. Assuming it was my fault, I charged the battery and it was good for a few more months. The next time it would not start I called my dealer. They said the battery was bad and replaced it. The same thing happened during the next 6 months. The dealer also tested for an electrical drain for 1 day, and replaced the second battery. So, 2 months after that it doesn't start. I drove Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, not Thursday and it's dead Friday morning! So back to the battery charger all weekend. My service guy (as helpful as can be) provides a loaner car and checks battery, charging, and runs the electrical drain for 2 days. Their conclusion: everything is fine, I just don't use it enough.

update: April 2013

I still notice my starter slowing at cold starting about once a month. So I hook up the battery charger. After 2 1/2 years I finally heard the infamous "humming" noise coming from underneath while it was parked in the garage at night (I've read it has to do with the gas vapor control system.) Some say these newer electronic demands wear down a battery. Anyway, I still check with the Toyota dealer occasionally for any new data regarding this battery issue, I always get a quick "no."

It's interesting though...I also have a 2008 Avalon, with a similar power plant, and it's original battery has never failed to start, even parked for 5 weeks during a vacation!!! It is driven about as much as our Sienna.
    Last edited by MasterDJ; 04-04-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: battery drain continues

17. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Sienna Forum
    Advertisements