2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

Can the "stock" roof rack on a 2011 Sienna XLE be used to tie down a piece of furniture for a long haul? Are there places where I can loop rope or place hooks? Can the built-in rails support the maximum weight without the crosspieces?

I'm debating about a "try before you buy" rental of a 2011 Sienna from the Toyota dealer for a week-long family trip. I want to take some inherited furniture, a couple of recliners and an armoire, to a relative that can use them. I believe I can "stack" the two recliners in the back with the third-row down. That leaves the 120 lb. armoire...

I'm hesitant to purchase any additional parts, as I don't know how soon we'll be getting a new Sienna (the wife is still attached to her well-loved Camry) and since rarely haul anything that won't fit inside a car.

All info and advice apprecaited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Re: 2011 Sienna Roof Rack: Can I Haul This...?

Since the roof rails handle all of the load on the crossbars, they must be able to handle it without the crossbars; on the other hand, I don't remember what the tops of the rails are like, and whether they would be suitable to directly apply load (the crossbars insert into slots on the inboard side of the rails). I can't imagine there being good tie-down points without the crossbars - there certainly are not on the second generation Sienna. A bigger concern would be that the furniture is unlikely to sit well directly on the curved rails, even if the spacing between them happens to suit the furniture.

An alternative to buying Sienna crossbars would be to get generic aftermarket towers/feet and crossbars/load bars of whatever model fits the 2011 Sienna, from Thule (foot model 450 or 450R) or Yakima. They will work on other vehicles, perhaps one that you actually have or will get, in case the Sienna is not purchased; they would also have better resale appeal than Sienna-specific parts. Warning: these are not cheap (hundreds of dollars for a set).

Personally, I would rather tow a small trailer, but I realize that's not an option with a rented Sienna (which would not have a hitch or trailer wiring).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I searched Craigslist looking for used Thule or Yakima parts. I came across a posting of someone offering a weekly rental of the Thule 450 feet and bars for $25, including installation and removal. It will be about a half hour drive out of the way, but getting the right parts to tie the armoire down would be a good thing!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell
I came across a posting of someone offering a weekly rental of the Thule 450 feet and bars for $25, including installation and removal.
I had no idea that stuff could be rented; sounds like a great deal to me.

Tags
2011, haul, rack, roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page