What does "pre-wired" mean in reference to the Tow Prep Package? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

What does "pre-wired" mean in reference to the Tow Prep Package?

I just bought a 2013 Sienna L, and it has the Tow Prep Package for $220. I understand that the package includes mechanical components like a larger radiator, transmission cooler, etc, but I've also been told by my dealer that it is is "pre-wired". According to them, that means there is a wiring harness already installed in the rear underside, accessible by taking off the undercover, the large grey piece just in front of the rear bumper.
However, a local Trucking Thunder dealer says that "pre-wired" means nothing, and that they will probably thus have to run wires from the rear up the battery in the front, etc.
So my question is what does "pre-wired" really mean? Does it mean that there is an existing harness as described by the dealer that a separate towing harness can be plugged into? Or does the installer have to run wires up front, hook to the battery, etc.
I plan on hauling a Coleman pop-up camper with a 7 prong plug and electric brakes, as I did before with my Previa, but I'm not worried about the 7 plug. I just want to know if there really is something installed in the rear that will save the time and hassle of running new wires.
BTW, it appears that the tow prep package is the same for the 3rd generation Siennas, from 2011-2013.
Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Re: What does "pre-wired" mean in reference to the Tow Prep Package?

I just wired my 2012 today. It was not "pre-wired" in any sense.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Supporting Member

The Toyota dealer's description of pre-wiring is reasonable. The other shop may be referring to the need to run wires for the brake controller and trailer battery charging, even in vehicles that are pre-wired for trailer lights.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the Sienna has never been available with pre-wiring, in any year or version, with or without the mechanical towing prep package. Other Toyota models are, particularly trucks.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik m. View Post
I just wired my 2012 today. It was not "pre-wired" in any sense.
Toyota's "Tow Package" is very deceiving as it doesn't involve a hitch or wiring. Just wired mine in under 2 hours, wire tapped into brakes/signals, installed brake controller & 7 wire plug.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM

I got my 2011 Sienna with the "towing package". The previous owner had added the hitch itself, but had not wired the lights. On the right side where the jack is, I have two plugs ready to go, but the wires are very small leading me to believe they are designed to carry current for the LED tail, turn, and stop lights. I'm afraid if I splice into them to attach my trailer light wires, I will blow all the circuits because the trailer bulbs are incandescent. I really don't want to purchase the whole wiring package because I think I already have all the T-connectors installed. What more do I need to do to get my trailer lights working?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Hey Janward12,
Did you get you wiring issue figured out? I am having the exact same concerns - small wires for LED tail lights may not support the incandescent trailer lights.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM

I can't speak for a 2013, but my '04 had a 4 pin connector hiding inside the rear bumper. I too wanted a 7 pin, so I had to install a couple of lines through the vehicle to run a 12v charge line and brake controller. In the event that you don't have the 4 pin connector, online sources (such as etrailer.com,) have a wiring harness kit that comes with a signal booster to provide power for the trailer lights. It still requires a 12v source to recieve that power, might as well install that while you're running your charge and brake lines.

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 160,XXX miles
Michelin Defender Tires
Gen III front brake upgrade with cross drilled rotors
Thule roof and bike rack
Firestone airbags
Valley hitch, prodigy P2 brake controler,12V charge line
GROM USB, RCA aux and Bluetooth adapter
Magnovox ceiling mount DVD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dogg View Post
I can't speak for a 2013, but my '04 had a 4 pin connector hiding inside the rear bumper.
That's good, but I don't think that was part of the 2004 towing preparation package; someone likely installed the trailer light wiring kit as well.

Tags
package, prep, prep package, prewired, reference, tow, towing package, wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page