Next source: Sears
Sears auto centres here are no longer run by Sears; they are run by Kal Tire (a major chain), selling what appears to be the normal Kal Tire wheel and tire line, but Sears-branded batteries.
The book claims that Group 35 was standard for 1998-2003 and 2004-2005, with 24F standard for 2006 and optional in earlier years. There is no listing 2007-up; it is a 2007 book!
For 24F replacement they list:
- "Custom fit": 624FMF or 634RMF
- "Premium AG line": 7AG78DT or 7AG75DT
- corresponds to Deka "Ultimate" line with Advanced Generation feature
- AGM: 9A78DT
- corresponds to Deka "Intimidator" line of absorbed glass mat type batteries
- the usual (e.g. Optima) practice is to spec a group 35, but this a bigger group 34/78
- "Value line": 778DT
The book is anonymous, and gives Sears item 37725 as a cross reference for the 624FMF, and model numbers matching its own under Deka in the cross-reference table. It does appear that these batteries are being supplied by East Penn, and using their usual Deka product numbers.
Actual in-stock products:
- DieHard Gold with Deka custom fit numbers and "Series" 6000,
- DieHard WeatherHandler with same style numbers and "Series" 5000
For the Sienna: DieHard Gold: 624FMF; 24C-650 CCA, 820 CA; $114.99
This 624FMF is same dimensions as the 624MF - just reversed. Since a real BCI Group 24F battery is longer than a 24 or 24R, it appears to me that they are just selling the 24R under the 24F label as a global fit for all sizes of this height and width and any length with the "reversed" terminal post placement.
No Sears numbers are posted on the shelf or on product, so I have no way to compare this with the Consumer's Report listing.
The guy behind the counter says they sell lots of 24F, and says that 24F is supposed to be just reversed 24. I'll buy the first point (why can't I find our 24F size at WalMart or Costco?), but the size cheating I don't accept.
Variants of group 24
BCI GroupL (mm)W (mm)H (mm)
- all are the same width
- 24F is longer (and has reversed posts)
- 24R just has reversed posts
- 24H is higher, and
- 24T is really tall
I'll admit this is not an authoritative list, since every BCI size list comes via some company which has reproduced it, and may have distorted the content.
I want my big 24F! At least a 24R (masquerading as a 24F) is bigger than a group 35.