Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

first ATF change - problems

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  homer 
#1 ·
i tried a diy first ATF change and ended up with probs.
jacked up the van, i got a 10mm Hex socket and put it on my rachet and moved it anti clockwise, it did not budge. i applied so much force that it ripped the hex shape. So i am left with damaged drain plug.
i will take it to my local garage tomorrow and ask them to fix it.
i will probably get a drain plug from toyota dealership before i goto the garage.
First project bombed...,
dunno if i could have done it differently or any better.

#3 ·
junkone said:
dunno if i could have done it differently or any better.
Very sorry to hear. That plug (your earlier pic) had a good bit of crud/rust on it, so probably nothing you could have done "better." The shop you bring it to should be able to give you suggestions. If you plan on doing drain/fills every 1-2 years that may be enough to keep the plug from getting too crudded up to turn.

#10 ·
It is possible that the first hex key was not the right size - one size too small, or a nearly identical but not correct inch key for a metric hex, or just a lower-quality key which was undersize.

bmwpower said:
You made the mistake of applying more force when at first it didn't budge. Get a torch on it for a several seconds, then try to loosen it.
junkone said:
you mean heat it up?
Yes, I assume that was the intent. Heating is a well-proven method to loosen stubborn threaded fasteners... although I would be cautious around an engine or transmission, especially if there are leaks of flammable fluids (such as lubricating oil).

Another approach: if it doesn't come out with reasonable force on the first attempt, soak it with penetrating oil and leave it for a day. Impact wrenches work, too, if used with care.

#11 ·
Maybe the 10mm hex was not in all the way into the drain plug on the first attempt? I give my allen key a light tap with a hammer to make sure it is all the way in. I can see if it was only half way in that it may have stripped a bit. The guy that got it off maybe drove the hex or key all the way down (inside the plug) to get more "bite" on the drain plug.

#12 ·
robo5 said:
Maybe the 10mm hex was not in all the way into the drain plug on the first attempt? I give my allen key a light tap with a hammer to make sure it is all the way in. I can see if it was only half way in that it may have stripped a bit. The guy that got it off maybe drove the hex or key all the way down (inside the plug) to get more "bite" on the drain plug.
That makes a lot of sense. One problem with any fastener that has a socket (rather than an external hex) is that the socket (or cavity) gets crud in it (rust or dirt in this case) which inhibits full insertion of the tool.

#14 ·
It is a 10mm hex. I have a cheap set of allen keys that work well. The only problem with my above statement is. If there is some debris or matter in the cavity of the plug you are compressing it into the plug thus not getting all the mechanical avantage on the plug itself. This plug is exposed to the elements.

#15 ·
With any wrench or key, I check for excessively sloppy fit before applying any significant force... but I suspect Rob has it figured out and in this case the key (of the right size and perhaps perfectly good fit) just wasn't seated in far enough. I have had this problem with hex socket-head plugs and bolts, Torx fasteners, and both Philips ("star"n or as my wife calls them "X head") and Robertson (square socket head) screws.

#17 ·
Seized bolts and nuts are often damaged by brute force applied (see following reply post #17) to them . This is why impact wrench are so good with seized fastener. Drain plug arent any different.

Next time , make sure that the closed end spanner is fully inserted and hammer it in the counterclockwise direction, should not take more than 2 or 3 good shot and I bet that you will not damage any nuts, plug or bolts in the future.

EDIT: refer to following reply post #17 for clarification
BY: topspy/Mod-Squad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.