Lubricating sliding door track - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Lubricating sliding door track

2007 sienna
what kind of lubrbrication i could use for sliding door tracks and how much should there be?
Can i use general all purpose grease?

my sliding door track has almost no lube and when operating has annoying sound from roller & track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Re: Lubricating sliding door track

I lube our's a few times a year. I use only silicone spray. Anything petroleum based, like WD-40 and many types of grease, can rot out plastic components. This includes the plastic sheathing that protects the drive cables for the sliding doors.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM

I'll also add that a couple of times a year I wipe out both the upper and lower tracks with a towel with de-greaser on it. 409 or Simple Green work great. I do this because I've noticed that the tracks, especially the lower ones, tend to collect a fair amount of dirt and crud.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Buggy
I'll also add that a couple of times a year I wipe out both the upper and lower tracks with a towel with de-greaser on it. 409 or Simple Green work great. I do this because I've noticed that the tracks, especially the lower ones, tend to collect a fair amount of dirt and crud.
So remove all grease and only use silicon spray couple times year? any recommendation on silicon spray?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javastring
So remove all grease and only use silicon spray couple times year? any recommendation on silicon spray?
You'll probably not find much grease in there to begin with. But yes, I wipe out the upper and lower tracks, especially after winter, 2 or 3 times a year. Then I lube the areas where the rollers make contact with the tracks. I also lube the cable on my power slider as well.

6 years in to it, our sliders operate as smooth as butter...and the power slider is still going strong. And with 2 kids...man as that power slider gotten more than it's share of work outs!

You can find silicone lube anywhere...Wal-Mart, Advanced Auto Parts, AutoZone, etc., etc. $2-$4 a can...at the most.

EDIT: merged text/posts per request
BY: topspy/Mod-Squad
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM

I used Lucas synthetic heavy duty grease. It comes in a big tube. I lubed everything with my finger including the tracks, doors, etc.
Like Butta!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWagN
I used Lucas synthetic heavy duty grease... I lubed everything with my finger including the tracks, doors, etc.
I hope this works out, but there is no chance that I would consider doing this, knowing that dust will turn that grease into high-drag sludge very soon... your conditions may vary.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 AM

I dont think it should. Its made for construction tractors/equiptment, farm equiptment, RV's, etc which should see alot more dirt than my van should ever see. That being said, if I am wrong, I will repost the results later. At worst, it wouldnt be any harder to take off then the factory grease I just removed with a rag and degreaser.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Took it to Florida, its been through a ton of car washes, rain, dusty roads, and the synthetic is still there, no dirt, and they are super slick sliders now. You have to make sure you dont slam the doors now.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 PM

Any one use White Lithium Grease?

positive/negatives
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarks
Any one use White Lithium Grease?

positive/negatives
You are better off using silicone spray.

2004 Sienna LE 7 in White 177K miles w/ alloys, power sliding door, homelink, trip computer, DVD, DRL mod.
1995 Odyssey LX in White 260K miles.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 PM

I agree with the no-grease there. I prefer by far a light lubricant ( spray on ) for stuff like that

Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 PM

I use a silicon spray and it seems to work well. I would also consider a lubricant made for the sliding tracks on RVs and campers - it claims not to gunk up as well.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM

What is the official word from Toyota regarding the lubrication/grease for the sliding doors? I use silicone spray for all the rubber parts whenever I crawl under to do an oil change (CV boots, etc.) I use another type of grease for my S2000 convertible top (I think it's similar to white lithium grease) to grease all the rubber parts related to the doors seals/convertible seals. I also use white lithium grease for door hinges and metal contact points. So what's the verdict for my van's sliding doors?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM

I recommend you got get a lubricant spray.

Find the best car seat covers here.

Tags
door, lubricating, sliding, track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page