question on oil change - Page 2 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Re: question on oil change

With oil changes on these Siennas relatively more complex than normal, is it ever possible to take these autos to the many, many lube shops or do their techs end up scratching their heads and never finding the oil filter assembly?

Net/net, is do it yourself and the dealership our only options?

By the way, I noticed that my local dealer is now charging $38 for an oil change.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sienna2006bkl
By the way, I noticed that my local dealer is now charging $38 for an oil change.
I don't know if that price is perceived as high or low, but here the Toyota's dealer's price for an oil change is competitive with the oil-change places... and no matter what I have said about Toyota dealership service departments, they are still geniuses compared to the lube-shop crowd!
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroden
So is there a problem with removing the whole housing as a unit and not bothering to remove the center cap and replace the O-ring after the fact? It seems faster than messing with the draining tube.
Its not a problem to remove the whole assembly in one sequence but its messy. The center plug is only torqued at IIRC 10flbs, so the housing at IIRC ( 27flbs) should not spin.

The tube seems to be a problem for many of the members here, personnally I like it , but there is no need to mess and fight with a hose attached to it, why a hose , do you have a hose attached to the engine drain plug ?

All you have to do is to apply the plastic adaptor against the valve inside the filter housing and hit the plastic tube with a small hammer, the tube will go in without any trouble and yet let the oil drain in your oil change container voila, piece of cake

Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Just done my first oil change and tire rotation on my 09 LE. Thanks to the suggestions and warnings from this forum, I did not spill a drop of oil! It was not messy at all to me. Of course you might have gotten some used oil on your hands. Not if you wear gloves

Since I needed to rotate the tires, I jacked up the vehicle and put it on four jack stands so that four wheels were just 2-3 inches above floor. I found it very easy to work when front passenger side wheel was removed. Luckily I could easily remove the filter housing drain plug first, then inserted plastic adapter tube into the filter housing assembly. I have to admit that it was hard to push the plastic tube into it. But it is doable without a little hammer in my case.

I kind of enjoy changing the paper cartridge filter on my van now... One caveat always tighten the filter housing and filter drain plug to spec with a torque wrench (18/10 ft-lb). Otherwise you will end up getting the whole thing out together next time when you do your oil change.

I would warn those who want to take their vans to fast lube places. You may end up sipping their stale coffee for one hour before they can figure out how to replace your cartridge filters. Or even worse, they may overtighten your filter drain plugs or housing assembly. Or worst they may not bother to replace the filter at all. No worry you are guaranteed to be charged for the filter change.

2009 Toyota Sienna LE 'Blue Mirage'
2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM

I just did my first oil change on my 2010 Sienna XLE at approximately 2000 miles.
It was very early to do the oil change but since the car still in "break-in" mode and I got dealer gift card when I purchased the vehicle. I figured to do a oil change wont hurt.
Went to dealer to purchase OEM filter cartridge, drain plug gasket, and 5W30 engine oil.

Drain the oil from oil pan was easy.
I was surprised at how dark the oil was. I expected it to be dirty but not that dark.
Getting the filter housing drain plug out was easy as well. Fitting the plastic drain plug in took some force and couple tries. Boy, the plastic drain plug was a tight fit.
Next was the hard part. I had my old plastic oil filter wrench I used for my other car. It was a good/tight fit. However, the filter housing was so tight that the wrench will slip. After numerous try I gave up on removing the filter. So I refilled the oil and call it a day.

I will purchase AST Toy640 oil wrench for my next oil change and see if I can get the filter housing to budge.

I figure I can just place the oil wrench on and with moderate force remove the filter housing. But obviously it was not the case for me.

Any one has any tip on removing filter housing?
Thanks in advance

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji4ever
Thanks in advance
You could try using a pair of large channel lock pliers, but only use it to engage the 2 "wings" on the housing to turn it. Those wings are below the tiny grooves where the oil filter wrench suppose to grip.

You could also try that cap oil filter wrench again, but this time also grab those 2 wings with your other hand to help turn it while you use the wrench so you are not only relying on the wrench to turn the housing. Those 2 wings are exactly 180 degrees from one another.

As far as draining the oil in the housing, I had purchased a Purolator cartridge that comes with a screw on type drain plug. You just screw it into the threads of the cap in the housing and it slowly inserts itself as you turn clockwise to drain it. And, you can control the flow of the oil.

Hope this helps.

When you do get it off, only hand tighten the housing after you put a layer of oil on the new rubber ring.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji4ever
I just did my first oil change on my 2010 Sienna XLE at approximately 2000 miles.
It was very early to do the oil change but since the car still in "break-in" mode and I got dealer gift card when I purchased the vehicle. I figured to do a oil change wont hurt.
Went to dealer to purchase OEM filter cartridge, drain plug gasket, and 5W30 engine oil.

Drain the oil from oil pan was easy.
I was surprised at how dark the oil was. I expected it to be dirty but not that dark.
Getting the filter housing drain plug out was easy as well. Fitting the plastic drain plug in took some force and couple tries. Boy, the plastic drain plug was a tight fit.
Next was the hard part. I had my old plastic oil filter wrench I used for my other car. It was a good/tight fit. However, the filter housing was so tight that the wrench will slip. After numerous try I gave up on removing the filter. So I refilled the oil and call it a day.

I will purchase AST Toy640 oil wrench for my next oil change and see if I can get the filter housing to budge.

I figure I can just place the oil wrench on and with moderate force remove the filter housing. But obviously it was not the case for me.

Thanks in advance

Wait for your AST toy 64mm, it will come off like a charm ;-))

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh818
You could try using a pair of large channel lock pliers, but only use it to engage the 2 "wings" on the housing to turn it. Those wings are below the tiny grooves where the oil filter wrench suppose to grip.

You could also try that cap oil filter wrench again, but this time also grab those 2 wings with your other hand to help turn it while you use the wrench so you are not only relying on the wrench to turn the housing. Those 2 wings are exactly 180 degrees from one another.

As far as draining the oil in the housing, I had purchased a Purolator cartridge that comes with a screw on type drain plug. You just screw it into the threads of the cap in the housing and it slowly inserts itself as you turn clockwise to drain it. And, you can control the flow of the oil.

Hope this helps.

When you do get it off, only hand tighten the housing after you put a layer of oil on the new rubber ring.
Thanks for the advice. I will give the two pliers approach this weekend just to see if I can get it to loose up a little bit without taking it off.
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Wait for your AST toy 64mm, it will come off like a charm ;-))
Thank you for your advice.
I am thinking either AST toy 64mm or go to Autozone and purchase one of those 3-legged oil wrench and give it a shot just for testing purpose.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM

I wouldn't mess with it, the housing is made of plastic, taking a chunk out of it or cracking it seems possible to me. the three point of contact tool will not spread the force applied evenly around the housing. The AST 64mm is the tool and will be great to torque everything properly too. But hey its your housing , you can try what you want ;-))

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Supporting Member

I am with Homer on this one. The tool is a very tight fit and works great. I did try the 3 legged creature and also the 2 shoe type also. They are collecting dust now.

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I wouldn't mess with it, the housing is made of plastic, taking a chunk out of it or cracking it seems possible to me. the three point of contact tool will not spread the force applied evenly around the housing. The AST 64mm is the tool and will be great to torque everything properly too. But hey its your housing , you can try what you want ;-))
My housing for the oil filter cartridge is made out of aluminum, not plastic. My Sienna is 07 3.5L. Are we talking about the same thing?
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh818
Quote:
My housing for the oil filter cartridge is made out of aluminum, not plastic. My Sienna is 07 3.5L. Are we talking about the same thing?

Plastic on my sienna 09, plastic on my son's corolla 09

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Interesting...Toyota switched to plastic from aluminum for the oil filter housing.

Edit: I have included a picture of the oil fiter housing. This is the one on mine that is made out of aluminum...or some kind of aluminum alloy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OilFilterHousing.jpg (28.8 KB, 192 views)
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM

My 2008 has the aluminum housing also.

Tags
change, oil, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page