question on oil change - Page 3 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Re: question on oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh818
Interesting...Toyota switched to plastic from aluminum for the oil filter housing.

Edit: I have included a picture of the oil fiter housing. This is the one on mine that is made out of aluminum...or some kind of aluminum alloy.

Hey you know what ? I owe you an apology, now that I look at it I realised that my son's corolla is made of plastic not my van I've done the first oil change on the van a few months ago and my memory didNt serve me well in this case , once again sorry if I mislead some of you here, however the ast 64mm IS the tool and work fine on both cars , and also on my Goldwing filter :-)

Sienna CE 2009 Canadian version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Supporting Member

No problem, Homer.

It is shocking to me that they use plastic on the Corolla. I can see after so many years, that housing is going to crack and leak like the radiators.

I am really concerned about that oil line in the Sienna where they used a rubber hose for a section instead of all metal. Toyota still has not owned up to the fact that this is a design flaw and all the oil could potentially leak out if there is a pin hole in the hose.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Supporting Member

With plastic parts routinely used in hot coolant service (radiators, but also other housings) and as valve covers, I'm not so sure that an appropriate plastic is a big concern for the filter housing... and at least it is readily replaced.

As for the VVTi oil line - oil hoses are always rubber; what do people think is used to connect to all those oil coolers on race cars and heavy trucks?

Back to the 2GR-FE oil filter housing - thanks for the photo!

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bp
With plastic parts routinely used in hot coolant service (radiators, but also other housings) and as valve covers, I'm not so sure that an appropriate plastic is a big concern for the filter housing... and at least it is readily replaced.

As for the VVTi oil line - oil hoses are always rubber; what do people think is used to connect to all those oil coolers on race cars and heavy trucks?

Back to the 2GR-FE oil filter housing - thanks for the photo!
I guess I don't mind Toyota using cheaper materials for parts as long as it is easy to get to and replace using common tools. Replacing that VVTi oil line looks quite challenging. The power steering compressor will need to be moved out of the way just to have clearance for your hand to turn a bolt. At least the oil filter housing is in plain view and not require you to remove a lower control arm just to unscrew it.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Another in the camp of hating to do oil changes on the Sienna. What were they smoking when they introduced the cartridge filter? PITA. I want my canister retrofit kit!

Any source for the ASTTOY640 in Canada? Can't seem to find 'em here.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member

switich to highmilage oil so you dont have to change the filter that often......use 0w40 grade mobil 1 synthetic oil an you will good for 15000miles just like the luxry cars........besides the van I now own a Mercedes and they also have the same kind of filter set up where you need some sort of assembly to install the filter and mind you the filter housing is right above the belts .......so try figuring changing the filter w/o spilling oil on the belts..........just a way by the car manufacturers in the guise of go green to discourage us DIYers from doing our own shit........to hell with them dont give up my fellow DIYers just stick to your gun and get it done............and the only other way would be the above that I suggested.......

javvy......

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanji4ever
I just did my first oil change on my 2010 Sienna XLE at approximately 2000 miles.
It was very early to do the oil change but since the car still in "break-in" mode and I got dealer gift card when I purchased the vehicle. I figured to do a oil change wont hurt.
Went to dealer to purchase OEM filter cartridge, drain plug gasket, and 5W30 engine oil.

Drain the oil from oil pan was easy.
I was surprised at how dark the oil was. I expected it to be dirty but not that dark.
Getting the filter housing drain plug out was easy as well. Fitting the plastic drain plug in took some force and couple tries. Boy, the plastic drain plug was a tight fit.
Next was the hard part. I had my old plastic oil filter wrench I used for my other car. It was a good/tight fit. However, the filter housing was so tight that the wrench will slip. After numerous try I gave up on removing the filter. So I refilled the oil and call it a day.

I will purchase AST Toy640 oil wrench for my next oil change and see if I can get the filter housing to budge.

I figure I can just place the oil wrench on and with moderate force remove the filter housing. But obviously it was not the case for me.

Any one has any tip on removing filter housing?
Thanks in advance

Wait for your AST toy 64mm, it will come off like a charm ;-))
Just did a real oil change last weekend with AST toy wrench.
It was a tight fit and used a 23mm socket wrench.
oil housing came off with ease.

Thank Homer and others for the advice.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Supporting Member

After a few oil changes I have done the following and I am glad that I did. I took the center piece out of the filter container and I used some RED loc-tight on the threads and screwed it back into place. Now when I change my oil I simply use the 3/8 socket driver to remove the whole container.

To me this is much easier and faster than messing with the stupid center drain piece.

2015 Sienna XLE
2016 RAV4 XLE
2013 RAV4 XLE
2011 GMC Sierra SLT

2008 Sienna XLE Sold at 165K
1999 Sienna CE Sold at 147K
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM

I did mine and it leaked. I caught it real quick, but I'm very disappointed that Toyota makes it too difficult to just change your oil. I take it to the Toyota dealer and pay 60 bucks (Mobil 1). They say they do get vans towed in once and while with oil leaks after an oil change. Usually it's from Walmart and the engine is burned up. I'll not buy another Sienna if they keep this same design or any other Toyota with the same design.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 PM

Oil drain plug torque?

Anybody know the torque spec for oil drain plug on 2009 sienna?
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka
I did mine and it leaked. I caught it real quick, but I'm very disappointed that Toyota makes it too difficult to just change your oil. I take it to the Toyota dealer and pay 60 bucks (Mobil 1). They say they do get vans towed in once and while with oil leaks after an oil change. Usually it's from Walmart and the engine is burned up. I'll not buy another Sienna if they keep this same design or any other Toyota with the same design.
I have not changed the oil on what is - I assume - a Sienna with the 2GR-FE (3.5L) engine; however, the process is apparently not unreasonable, since almost everybody does it without having a leak. I certainly wouldn't change manufacturers because of an issue like this.

I really have to wonder about a driver who ignores the warning resulting from a lack of oil and drives the vehicle to destruction.

By the way, for $60 including the oil and filter, if I found it difficult to do I would just pay to have it done at the dealership (although I would check their work, since I don't trust them). The oil and filter alone are a very large part of that cost.
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
jc
Devoted Member

wrencher,

I use 29-31 ft lbs as the torque spec on the bolt. That was before I bought the fumoto quick drain valve.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

Here are two pictures of it installed on my van.

No more drain washers.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...motovalve2.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...ovalveside.jpg

Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:08 PM

JC
That looks like a great set up my only concern what if a rock or something hits it or even if you would drive to far up to a parking curb? It is hard to tell from the pictures if it is vulnerable. Did or do you have any concerns ? Thanks

2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
Activated DRL's
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
tcp
Devoted Member

been running the fumoto on my 2005 since I bought it and have one on my other vehicle as well. Never caught anything on it and they work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity
JC
That looks like a great set up my only concern what if a rock or something hits it or even if you would drive to far up to a parking curb? It is hard to tell from the pictures if it is vulnerable. Did or do you have any concerns ? Thanks
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Steelcity,

The valve only comes down about an extra 1/2 inch. Not like It's a Jeep YJ or something like that. The exhaust pipes hang lower than the drain bolt. It makes changing oil much easier and there is no damage to the drain pan threads since you don't need to take it off. Oil takes a little longer to come out, but that's not a major issue.

The other good thing that is if you get another Toyota, you can use the valve on that vehicle. Fits all Toyota's!

Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....

Tags
change, oil, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page