question on oil change - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

question on oil change

I just did my first oil change on my 08. I inserted my 3/8 socket into the filter housing, but the whole assembly came off rather than just the small plug removed for draining. I did not bother with removing it and just put in a new filter.

How do I hold the filter housing stationary next time so just the plug comes out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Supporting Member

Re: question on oil change

Trust me this is a good question. BUT i do not have a correct answer for you.

The way i do it is. I use an 3/8's air gun to spin off the drain on the filter, then i can insert the drain attachment to drain the filter, then unscrew the filter cartridge.

The way you are doing it is messy. The proper way is still messy. The drain attachment is hard to press in(I bend in the tab's a bit to make it easyer to install)

toyota did this for what? the enviroment? OK Riddle me this batman. What did we save?

I would like to see what other people have to say about this?(keep it clean)

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 PM
jsm

Yup. At 'my' dealership I just asked them last week how they do it. Answer was, some guys take the drain out first, others don't bother. Either way is messy. If someone comes out with a conversion back to a spin-on filter, I'm buying now!

07 Sienna Limited AWD Arctic Frost Pearl

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 AM

If the small drain plug is tighter than the filter housing itself, I've found the best way of loosening it is to give the wrench attached to the 3/8" socket extension a series of short, hard raps with your fist. This "poor mans" impact wrench action has been successful for me in getting this small plug out without loosening the whole filter assembly.

2008 Sienna LE 2WD
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
bps

I'm also in line if there is ever a conversion kit to a regular spin filter.

I changed the oil for the first time last week as well and what a messy job that is! As well there are a lot of parts to keep track of.

I do all the maintenance on my vehicles and have since the 70's so I'm not new at this, but changing the oil is not straightforward, The oil pan had a plug and washer, the filter has an internal filter and 2 gaskets that need replacing, and there are 3 things that have to be torqued. We also need a fitting and a piece of garden hose. It also took a couple of trips to the store to find the correct fitting wrench for the oil filter housing. While not much spilled on the groung my hands certainly got drenched in oil at several of the removal steps, i also found the oil filter housing to have a fair bit of dirty oil in it after removing and had to spend time chaning that as well which is not all that simple and it's tough to get a rag into it. All in all it was a PITA!

I'm sure that next time it will be a bit simpler as i know what to expect but compared to changing oil in my chevy which is one bolt with no washer on the pan and a spin on/off filter which rarely leaks when removing. This was dirty and overly complex.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
jsm

I too do all my own maintenance since the 70's, and I'm not even going to try with this van for the same reason . PITA !

07 Sienna Limited AWD Arctic Frost Pearl
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Devoted Member

I know it's a PITA, that's why I have a guy I know called Amigo at the local corner lube place for $14 labor..I bring the filter element and mobil1 syn. he does the drain and fill. even gives me the old oil in 1 gal jugs which i gladly donate back to kragens auto parts.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Devoted Member

it's good to do it once or twice (the oil change offcourse) and know how incase you run in to some emergency repairs/swap out of liquids on a vacation somewhere. I always carry two 5 quart jugs of mobil1 syn and 2 filter elements with me in my autorepair bin.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

jeepers, it wasn't that hard or messy. Maybe 20 mins the first time, I assume it will be faster next time. It's interesting that the engine takes 6 quearts of oil and they add a cooler if you get the tow pack, wonder why that is. If someone made a custom relocation kit / cooler that would allow a spin on filter, I'd buy one.

My wife's 4runner has a spin on filter right on the top of the engine, it's a great location.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
wxm

It really isn't too bad at all. Messy first time when you take over from the dealers. Once you are in control, it quite simple. I come to think that the dealers purposely torque the small cap higher than the big housing so that they can just use 3/8" extension to take off the whole thing to save time. Given how much effort I had to put down with vise, ratchet etc, I suspect that they actually changed the small o-ring each time - can't be a good thing given the O-ring is not designed for long lasting... Torque it right, you will see it gets quite easier next time. I'd think twice to let the dealers to do it again (though someone had warned me a potential hassle with the warranty if I did oil change yourself.)

That's said, I agree with you guys about the purpose of this design change. Mr. T better has good reason to justify this. Unfortunately it remains unclear to me.

07 Sienna XLE
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Supporting Member

There is no legal requirement for Toyota to do the oil changes, or a professional mechanic either.

To protect your warranty rights, you only need to maintain proper records showing that the work was performed.....by anyone.
Just keep receipts for parts purchased and a log-book of dates/mileage/work performed/etc. Nowadays, with digital cameras, a few dated pics might be good too.

The only benefit of having someone else do the work is that if something goes wrong, you can blame that person.....and your wife/whomever doesn't get the satisfaction of doing the "I told you so" routine.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
. Pod-Style Running Boards
. OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
. 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
. 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
. Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
. Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

So is there a problem with removing the whole housing as a unit and not bothering to remove the center cap and replace the O-ring after the fact? It seems faster than messing with the draining tube.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

I really don't think it matters. I drain the housing before removing it, but even after doing this a few drops of oil always run down the outside of the housing while removing it. If I have to clean off the outside of the housing after doing it the "correct" way, what's really the point of draining the housing?

2008 Sienna LE 2WD
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM

The only time I had the housing spin off before the drain plug was after a free OC at my dealer. I think the dealer used an air gun on the drain plug and over torqued it. At least the torque on the drain plug was higher than the housing, which is why the housing spun off when I tried to remove the drain plug. I use a cheap torgue wrench when I do it myself and follow the recommend torque settings on the oil filter box. I never had an issue with the housing spinning off before the drain plug when it is torque correctly.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Supporting Member

The first time I did the oil change on my 07 Sienna, I bought a Puralator filter that included a plastic drain plug adapter. This adapter actually screws in rather than snap in. I was able to control the rate of the flow of oil from the housing. I saved this little adapter and use it on every oil change. No little hose needed once I place the drain pan right below it.

Tags
change, oil, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page