2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
jc
Devoted Member

Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcp View Post
seriously? for less than the cost of a quarter of a tank of gas( the difference between the dealer's fluid and the "compatible" one), you are going to fool around with a fluid that is "compatible" with pretty much every manufacturer's vehicle, yet not precisely made for any of them. I can't understand that. You drive how many miles every year and spend how much money on fuel, but are looking to save $20 on the fluid that will keep your transmission functioning well for many miles? It is just a disconnect for me. If you need WS fluid, buy WS fluid. If you need T-IV fluid, you can buy it at the dealer or use Mobil's JWS 3309 fluid, which is exactly what your transmission needs.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._ATF_3309.aspx
TCP - Max life will do the job. Have you ever checked this same topic on BITOG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycds View Post
I own a 1st gen/1998 Sienna with 193K miles. The check engine light indicated a P0770 solenoid problem and a transmission mechanic recommended a new trans after a relatively brief assessment 5-10 minutes. $2600 - ouch.

Will draining and changing the AT fluid help with this?
If so, the owner's manual says to use Dexron II or III. Is there a particular brand for type 1 engines?

If not, any opinions on putting in a new transmission on a reliable vehicle with so many miles already on it?

Thanks for all the feedback, photos, and info provided here.
I would try the drain and fill first. It won't hurt and is a lot cheaper than just spending $2500. Use Valvoline max life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhamrc View Post
Joe:
What do you mean there is no filter in the 2005 Sienna LE automatic transmission ?
There isn't a filter, it's referred to as a strainer.

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Hi everyone. I have an 04 sienna w/ 189k on it. Starting to feel a slight bit of shift delay in the lower gears, maybe 2-3. It almost acts more like a modulator problem than a fluid problem. Like when your coasting then resume with the pedal it has to shift. Its so faint my wife who drives it daily can't feel it. Anyway, I pulled the dipstick this weekend and the fluid is a Lil dark. Not bad at all for what Im assuming is 189k mile fluid. I want to change it but I'm kinda skeptic with that many miles on the odometer.
I would ask my dealer but Im stationed in Germany. They are still great guys at the local dealer. But I have a hard time communicating with them. I can ask them what they think about changing it. But what I can't differentiate is the difference in "should I change my trxn fluid?" Or "will you change my trxn fluid?" The basics he will get is that I want the fluid changed. What I really want is a second opinion. Anyone got any feedback they wanna share?
post #138 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Change your fluid. It can only make things better. Not sure what you can get in Germany, but I think Toyota Type IV should be available.

Regards, JC.

Air Lift 1000's

post #139 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sienna '04 XLE AWD with about 100K miles (163K KM) on it. Checking the Transmission fluid dip stick for oil color, it was found to be very dark, almost black. I have not noticed any abnormal thing in shifting but concerned with the color.

I understand it uses WS type oil (still need to confirm from the dip stick embossing) but not sure if the healthy color should actually be a dark reddish shade rather than the black I see.

The vehicle history I got from the Dealer (from Toyota database) mentions twice something about "Trans" oil/fluid change. 1st @ 45K miles and 2nd @ 83K miles.

I am not sure if this reference for "trans" means Transmission or Transfer case.

Appreciate if somebody in forum can suggest what is best to be done at this time?

Thanks
post #140 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM

The mileage you have on your 04 XLE AWD is the same as my 06 XLE FWD. I did the transmission fluid change twice roughly the same mileages as your vehicle. But both time my transmission fluid was pink (close to original color). I don't know if the previous owner might tow a lot with the vehicle. I would change it out if I did see mine turning black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamsul_arefeen View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a Sienna '04 XLE AWD with about 100K miles (163K KM) on it. Checking the Transmission fluid dip stick for oil color, it was found to be very dark, almost black. I have not noticed any abnormal thing in shifting but concerned with the color.

I understand it uses WS type oil (still need to confirm from the dip stick embossing) but not sure if the healthy color should actually be a dark reddish shade rather than the black I see.

The vehicle history I got from the Dealer (from Toyota database) mentions twice something about "Trans" oil/fluid change. 1st @ 45K miles and 2nd @ 83K miles.

I am not sure if this reference for "trans" means Transmission or Transfer case.

Appreciate if somebody in forum can suggest what is best to be done at this time?

Thanks
post #141 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamsul_arefeen View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
The correct fluid for your 04 is T-IV
post #142 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 AM

Why do we have to do the drain and fill when the engine is hot? Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to drain when it is cold, measure quantity, and refill with the same temperature fluid that is "cold"?

Also- what is the correct fluid type for a 2005 sienna awd?

Thanks in advance.
post #143 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansilv View Post
Why do we have to do the drain and fill when the engine is hot? Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to drain when it is cold, measure quantity, and refill with the same temperature fluid that is "cold"?

Also- what is the correct fluid type for a 2005 sienna awd?

Thanks in advance.
The 05 also uses Type T-IV.

Air Lift 1000's
post #144 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycds View Post
I own a 1st gen/1998 Sienna with 193K miles. The check engine light indicated a P0770 solenoid problem and a transmission mechanic recommended a new trans after a relatively brief assessment 5-10 minutes. $2600 - ouch.

Will draining and changing the AT fluid help with this?
If so, the owner's manual says to use Dexron II or III. Is there a particular brand for type 1 engines?

If not, any opinions on putting in a new transmission on a reliable vehicle with so many miles already on it?

Thanks for all the feedback, photos, and info provided here.
Toomanycds,
I'm getting the same P0770 error on my 1999 sienna. Did the drain and fill AT fluid help? My smog is due in a few weeks and with this problem it won't pass. Any feedback/comment is appreciated.

dchow
post #145 of 146 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:38 PM

tonystewart, a couple of questions!

1. Have you done any more oil analyses since starting the thread?

2. Do you still stick to one drain / fill every 24k miles?
post #146 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 PM

I have a 2005 XLE Limited AWD and it has 200,000 + KM and only changed the ATF once done by the dealer. My question is has any one ever changed the oil via the dip stick with a suction pump like used on inboard and outboard boat motors ? Not sure if it would work but it sure as heck works well on my boat motors and very simple.
thanks, Pete

Tags
automatic, fluid, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page