Automatic Transmission Fluid - Page 3 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid

I thought there was no filter. Toyota typically uses just a mess piece of mesh screen in the bottom of the pan, to catch any large wear particles. That's not something that "clogs". My truck has a filter, and the ATF is actually drawn up through the filter, so that DOES need to get changed. Have you pulled your pan? I've never confirmed that there was any type of filter in the Sienna, but if there is, it's probably just the mesh screen that Toyota often uses.

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 and it has the mesh type strainer or "filter" that has been described. When I change my fluid I remove the pan and replace the filter and clean the pan and magnets as well.

Here are some pics of the major points. I cleaned the pan with varsol and a paint brush.

Here is a pic of the strainer and gasket.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...yfilterkit.jpg

Here is a pic of the strainer on the tranny once the pan is removed.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n.../strainer3.jpg

A pic of the dirty strainer
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...erwithdirt.jpg

Clean pan with gasket in place held by twist ties (makes it easy to install)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...nandgasket.jpg

Rear Differential drain plug
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...thallenkey.jpg

Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #33 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Good info! Thanks. Now maybe someone with a 2nd gen has dropped the pan and has some pics. Since that piece mounts to the valve body, I would think it's actually a filter - i.e. the fluid must go through it in order to get to the tranny from the pan. My understanding of later designs is that they just have the screen in the bottom of the pan. Anyone deny or confirm?

I might stop by the auto parts store and see what they list, and take a look at it. Might be dropping my pan next time.

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE

post #34 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:59 PM

OK, quit looking, I found it. Second gens do have the same thing, and they call it the "Valve Body Oil Strainer". Question is, what kind of media is in it? That would determine how important it is to replace, I think. Attached PDF shows the procedure for 2004-2007 model years. Looks like it's about the same as the '98.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tranny.pdf (152.8 KB, 396 views)

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE
post #35 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM

Thanks to all concerning the transmission filter question. At the beginning of this thread it was mentioned there was no filter and it raised a flag for me.

tm
post #36 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Hey Guys,

That strainer looks a little different from the first generation in the pdf file. I never bought a Toyota strainer since they didn't have them readily available in Canada. The first gen strainer had a cork gasket on the upper hole.

Good write up and pics for the draining procedure. My parts cost about $20 canadian at Napa for the gasket and strainer kit.

I used 4 quarts of Mobil 1 Universal ATF.

Regards, Jason.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #37 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Keep in mind that the '07 and newer Sienna specs Toyota Type WS ATF and I don't believe that there is an aftermarket fluid with that specification. I also heard that there is a service update that specs WS fluid for all '04+ Siennas, but I'm not positive on that one.

I thought the better shifting was a psychological improvement myself, but if others are saying the same thing, maybe not...

I did a drain and refill on my '07 at 15,000 miles and plan to continue on that schedule. I sure as heck don't trust it for 60,000, let alone the "lifetime" that Toyota specs it. The WS fluid goes for $8-$9 a quart and I put in a few ounces over four quarts in.

-Mike

2007 Sienna LE FWD 7-pass Pkg #3
1999 Camry LE V6
post #38 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Since I believe it's the same tranny, I'm sure it's just another marketing ploy, or at best they're tightening the specs a bit. Hopefully the synthetic guys will complete testing that says their oil meets that spec. I'll continue to put in what I have been. I'm out of warranty anyway.

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE
post #39 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Toyota ATF-WS (World Standard) is NOT compatible with Toyota T-IV or Dexron ATF.

I would NOT use WS unless that is what your manual says to use.

As far as I know the 2004 still requires T-IV fluid...
post #40 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM
tcp
Devoted Member

Same transmission doesn't mean the friction material on the disks isn't different. I would use what is spec'd...type 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajoe
Since I believe it's the same tranny, I'm sure it's just another marketing ploy, or at best they're tightening the specs a bit. Hopefully the synthetic guys will complete testing that says their oil meets that spec. I'll continue to put in what I have been. I'm out of warranty anyway.
post #41 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Well, my comment was based on the comment that they "back-spec'd" the new fluid for all vehicles '04+. I don't don't like when they try to force something on you by changing the specs. I use what was spec'd for my car when I bought it .... not what they decided to re-spec it to later.

-Joe
2005 Sienna LE
post #42 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM

why not remove return line after drain / refil and put car in drive w/ brake on to pump out the TC through the cooler lines?
post #43 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM

How would you get new fluid back into the TC and transmission, I would think putting it into Drive, you would push the old fluid out, however you would be putting the transmission back into park with NO fluid in the system. An Automatic Transmission requires fluid to operate, not just for lubrication? Sounds too risky?

The iffy quick shops remove the return line and route it through a pump that is pushing new fluid in as its pulling old fluid out. I also believe this is a bad idea because you will be forcing lots of little metal parts through all those small channels in the transmission?
post #44 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 PM

I assume you would drain using the plug, refit plug, fill with fresh fluid, start the flush and add fluid as the fluid is pumping out until it comes out clean. What's he big deal with that?
post #45 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM

The manual say , for a 2009 Sienna Limited, transmission fluid is synthetic and no to change before 100.000 miles

Tags
automatic, fluid, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page