Automatic Transmission Fluid - Page 4 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid

I just changed my atf last night (posted in Maintenance area) and will post here as well - when I drained out my atf I got 4 1/2 quarts out.

So I'd recommend buying 5 quarts if you are going to change it.

Also, I'd recommend getting a new crush washer while you are at it. I've tightened the snot out of mine and it's still dripping.

Dave in WI

2006 Sienna LE
2005 Accord EX
2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
1975 Honda XL100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member

some 15,000 miles back I had done a transmission fluid flush using the more involved method of draining and filling the method that was posted in the previous forum, but what I did was I over filled the tranny and drove like 15,000 miles untill yesterday when I did the drain and fill using the above method and refilled only 4 quarts. When I drained the fluid I realised how much more fluid I had filled in there it was more or less close to 8 quarts......

now my question is did this over fill and then driving 15,000miles cuase any damage to my tranny?

thankx
javvy

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #48 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Supporting Member

The sienna trannys are tough. No worries. I have a tranny guy and his shop is NOT filled with siennas. I think you will be OK. Long term? IDK. At least you are changing the fluid!!

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #49 of 146 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Supporting Member

Thankx robo5...just needed some solace........hahahnow the van shift like butter...........am very happy to have found this forum....and looked at the tranny fluid thread and that inspired/educated me first to switich the fluid and second to put the right quantity..........I could feel the delayed engage of the clutch with all that extra fluid......

Sold 2005 rocking a 2015 XLE Premium Arctic Frost Pearl
Lolloyd's rubber mats all round
Other Ride - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #50 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:09 PM

I changed the tranny fluid of my 2004 Sienna CE with 68000kms myself. Thanks for this forum ( specially the members ), it's my first time to change a tranny fluid and found out that it's much easier than changing the oil because there's no filter to change. I used Mobil 3309 and very happy with the result. Before, when I'm driving at highway speed at around 65 mph, the engine rpm needle is at 2000, now, it is at 1900 and it downshifts quicker when driving uphill on cruise control. I will try the synthetic fluid next time.
post #51 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCORLTD
I changed the tranny fluid of my 2004 Sienna CE with 68000kms myself. Thanks for this forum ( specially the members ), it's my first time to change a tranny fluid and found out that it's much easier than changing the oil because there's no filter to change. I used Mobil 3309 and very happy with the result. Before, when I'm driving at highway speed at around 65 mph, the engine rpm needle is at 2000, now, it is at 1900 and it downshifts quicker when driving uphill on cruise control. I will try the synthetic fluid next time.
There is a Transmission Filter to change and after 68000 miles I would be changing it
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...ssion%20Filter

Fully Optioned 2006 Sienna Limited, Full LED Interior including footwells & consoles, 1st & 2nd Row Center Consoles, Full Weathertech Package, 2011 Big Brake Upgrade, Braided Stainless Brake Line Kit, Michelin Defenders, Raammat & Ensolite Insulation, Prestigious Society Navigation Override, Gen 5 Version 15.1 DVD, Motul 8100 5W30 Oil, HID 5000K Foglight Upgrade,Factory HID's Upgrade to Osram 5000K CBI's, 4G Amplifier with Antenna, Crossbars removed
post #52 of 146 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Currently draining the Trany Fluid from my 2007 Sienna. I have a new drain plug gasket, does any one know the correct torque value? I found a reference to a 2004 at 36ft/lbs and it looks identical to my transmission pan.

TM
post #53 of 146 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Just an FYI, Amsoil has a new low viscosity ATF that meets Toyota WS specs.
post #54 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
tcp
Devoted Member

I've been looking for a synthetic alternative to the toyota T-IV. The Mobile super 3309 doesn't seem to be synthetic from what I can see. Which synthetic do you plan on trying? I've attached the mobile 3309 data sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCORLTD
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IOCAENCVLMOMobil_Super_ATF_3309.pdf (36.7 KB, 50 views)
post #55 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Why don't you use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF It is an approved T-IV replacement

Fully Optioned 2006 Sienna Limited, Full LED Interior including footwells & consoles, 1st & 2nd Row Center Consoles, Full Weathertech Package, 2011 Big Brake Upgrade, Braided Stainless Brake Line Kit, Michelin Defenders, Raammat & Ensolite Insulation, Prestigious Society Navigation Override, Gen 5 Version 15.1 DVD, Motul 8100 5W30 Oil, HID 5000K Foglight Upgrade,Factory HID's Upgrade to Osram 5000K CBI's, 4G Amplifier with Antenna, Crossbars removed
post #56 of 146 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
tcp
Devoted Member

After reading some other sites (volvo, etc) that also use Aisin-Warner transmissions and peoples results with the mobil "universal" ATF, it seems to cause some problems with hard shifts and other issues. Seems that it is supposed to be compatible with the Dexron/Mercon as well as the slip-controlled lock up transmissions that require the JWS3309 type, but falls more towards working best in the Dexron/Mercon crowd. It also appears that the volvo spec'd fluids and toyota T-IV are really rebadged Mobil 3309 anyway and not synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart
Why don't you use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF It is an approved T-IV replacement
post #57 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM

What is the total trans fluid capacity on the 3.3L? I looked in my owner's manual but only found a spec for how much gets drained. I did a drain/filll yesterday so I'm wondering how much of the old stuff is still in there.

06 Sienna LE, 110K+ miles
post #58 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlins
What is the total trans fluid capacity on the 3.3L? I looked in my owner's manual but only found a spec for how much gets drained. I did a drain/filll yesterday so I'm wondering how much of the old stuff is still in there.
8 Quarts

50%

post #59 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM

This forum is a great wealth of knowledge. Thank you for sharing it.
I have a 2005 LE and for what I can understand Mobil 1 ATF can replace Toyota's original, however since we are replacing only 4 qts, can Mobil 1 syntethic be mixed with the remaining 4 qts left inside? Thanks in advance.

Ed

2005 Sienna LE
2011 Corolla LE
2006 Corolla CE
'Be nice to people on your way up... you'll need them on your way down...'
post #60 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

yes

Tags
automatic, fluid, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page