to remove snow tires or not - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

to remove snow tires or not

I am from Ottawa, in the Great White North. We are taking a road trip to the Outter Banks in NC leaving this weekend. I am debating on leaving my Blizzaks on my 2011 LE, or taking them off and putting the all seasons back on. The all seasons are the original tires with ~15000 miles. I don't tend to have a heavy foot. I like to cruise at 65 mph / 110 kms. What would you do? I am really on the fence. I'd hate to hit something nasty and extend the drive more than the 15 hours is already is.

On another note, does anyone have any ideas on things to do with little people when we are there? We are stopping in Scranton PA at a train museum, and visiting Kitty Hawk when we are there, but other than that, the week is open. We have 2 families with 5 kids in total, with the oldest being 5. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Cheers,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Re: to remove snow tires or not

My condolences to the adult occupants of your vehicles.

Can't help you with your tire choice, I have never been forced to install true "snow" tires, so can't comment on their suitability for your trip.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Supporting Member

The plus side of leaving the snow's on - you are ready for anything that you might encounter along the way. There's a winter storm sweeping across from the Michigan area that will produce rain/snow/ice from Richmond to Montreal over the next 24 hrs. If you are going down I-81 you probably know all about Lake Effect snow and how quickly it can materialize! I spent 4 years in Potsdam, so know what that drive can be like in winter. Pulaski, anyone? (inside joke - like the snow capital of the NE)

The downside is that this winter most roads have been clear and dry 99.5% of the time, and you'll be burning off the best miles of those tires - probably for nothing. Add to that slightly reduced gas mileage & increased noise. After tomorrow, there doesn't appear to be any major weathermakers out there for days to come. We'll be in the 50's and sunny for the first week in March. Heck, I might ditch my snows early this year.

Going to Steamtown? Haven't been there in years, but I love that place!

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

I just checked the weather for the whole drive down and back, and the temperatures are way above freezing... I am really torn, because like you said, anything north of Syracuse on the 81 can flip in a heartbeat....I guess I'll wait until Friday night, check the weather again and make a call then. thanks for the input guys!

Yeah, we are hoping to hit Streamtown. My little guys are 5 and 3 with a 2 year old daughter. They all love the trains. It should be around the 6 hour mark, so a really good place to let them stretch out and then hit the road for a couple more hours. Well, at least that is how I have it in my head. It never works out like that, but I can dream, can't I?

Tags
remove, snow, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page