Transfer Case/Tranny Leak - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Transfer Case/Tranny Leak

On my 2006 Sienna (63K miles), I [thought I] had a bad oil leak in the rear of the engine. Symptoms were a burnt oil smell in the cabin, as well as smoke coming from the back of the engine compartment. I removed the engine cover to look for evidence of where a leak could be coming from, but didn't see anything.

I searched here and found the recall for the '07-'08 oil line, but that doesn't apply to my 3.3L engine. Without having seen the rear of the engine, I figured it must be the rear valve cover leaking onto the exhaust manifold.

The van is used for around town errands but also for several long (200+ mile) trips per year. Oil is changed every 4K miles or so.

I figured I would remove the windshield cowl and tear into the problem once the weather turned milder. Since the oil level was not significantly decreasing, I put off having the dealer fix it right away. My wife's been driving the van for the past several weeks, and the oil level has not dropped significantly.

Stranger yet, the oil leak symptoms (smoke and burning smell) have disappeared. Have I been saved by Toyota engine sludge filling the leaking spot? Or should I take the engine compartment apart just to see what's going on?

[edited to show diagnosis and resolution of problem, title changed]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Re: Engine Oil Leak Disappears?

Do you always do your own oil changes? I'm wondering if you had some oil spilled on the block or exhaust and that was what you were smelling.

I would keep an eye on it and see if the level is really going down.

Regards, JC.

1998 Sienna XLE Silver Spruce Metallic
Air Lift 1000's
Bridgestone Ecopia Summer/Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter
284,xxx kms - Sold... soon to be retired from Siennachat....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I have been doing my own changes, but it's not the oil that's leaking, as it turns out. I put the car up on jack stands to change the oil, and immediately noticed that the fluid leaking was ATF, from the passenger side driveshaft seal. That passes right above the exhaust manifold, which was covered in fluid. So now it's an entirely different issue. Luckily it's easy to see, so hopefully should be easy to fix.

What's the standard drivetrain warranty? 60,000 or 72,000 miles?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 PM
jc
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercat
Spencercat,

I'm not sure about the warranty. I think it's 60,000. I bought my 98 in 2006 well past the warranty period.

Regards, JC.

Air Lift 1000's
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:01 PM

I was thinking the standard warranty is 3yr/36,000 miles

2008 Sienna LE 2WD Blue Mirage
Mods Airlift 1000 air bags
Toyota Sienna door sill protectors
Kenwood Dnx 6160 dvd/nav w 14' monitor
Chrome exhaust tip (he he)
Activated DRL's
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercat
I have been doing my own changes, but it's not the oil that's leaking, as it turns out. I put the car up on jack stands to change the oil, and immediately noticed that the fluid leaking was ATF, from the passenger side driveshaft seal. That passes right above the exhaust manifold, which was covered in fluid. So now it's an entirely different issue. Luckily it's easy to see, so hopefully should be easy to fix.

IIRC, powertrain warranty is 5 years/60k miles.
Even if you've passed 60k miles, call Toyota. Many manufacturers will honor warranties even if the vehicle is past the warranty miles.

2006 LE 8 Salsa Red
114,xxx miles
Michelin Defender Tires
K&N Filter
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Dealer wants $1200 to repair what's outlined in TSB-0138-10. Frankly given the amount of work involved I'm surprised they didn't quote more.

I called Toyota and am waiting their response whether they will pay for the repair.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
jc
Devoted Member

How much fluid is leaking from the Tranny? $1200 buys a lot of Type IV fluid. Maybe you can add some tranny stop leak and see if that reduces leaking.

Did the dealer say what is the actual issue is?

If it were up to me, I'd just keep an eye on it and not get it fixed for now. How much longer are you going to keep the Van?

Regards, JC.

Air Lift 1000's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM

spencercat,

The leak may be gone now but it may come back as soon as it gets colder again. I used to have a leaky transmission solenoid pack that would only leak when it was cold. My guess is the colder temperatures allow more contraction of the metal or rubber seals which lets it leak through. Hopefully you can convince Toyota that this leak didn't just develop overnight and that it started within the warranty period.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

JC, others, thanks for your comments. From what I understand reading the TSB as well as other info on the web, this leak can become catastrophic (i.e., it can dump all your fluid fairly suddenly). Others have lost the transfer case and tranny all at once from this problem. So the problem could go from a $1200 one to a $3000 one.

In my case, it leaks onto the exhaust manifold making for smoke and smell. I use the car often for long trips, so the possible damage caused by losing the fluid means it's something that needs to get taken care of.

Good news is that Toyota has stepped up and agreed to reimburse for the full service amount, so I'll be scheduling an appointment on Monday! 8)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 PM

Re: Transfer Case/Tranny Leak

Thanks for this great post. A week ago, I bought a 2006 Sienna AWD Limited. I got a 3 month 3000 mile powertrain warranty. Two days ago, I crawled underneath it to find whatever was leaking onto the exhaust that smelled likel burning gear oil. It is clearly leaking from the transfer case. Yesterday, I took it back to the dealer and told them about the leak and the TSB.

I am looking forward to the dealer handling this repair at its cost and getting our minivan back.

Tags
case or tranny, leak, transfer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page