2015 Sienna LTD AWD Spare Tire - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 2015 Sienna LTD AWD Spare Tire

I have seen many post come and go. I have yet to hear back from my local dealers, BAYSIDE TOYOTA in MD and SPRINGFIELD TOYOTA in VA, as to the spare I should get for my car.

SO annoying.

I keep seeing the word offset when the discussion turns to spare tires for this AWD vehicle.

Had the dealerships not kept the RFT a hidden feature I would have gone with a HONDA or NISSAN instead of this hassle over a lousy spare.

BTW, I got 24,400miles off the RFT that came with the car and put michelin Premiums with a 65,000 tread warranty and NITROGEN gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 03:18 PM

Re: 2015 Sienna LTD AWD Spare Tire

Here is a post all about runflats and options. Post 153 has pictures of an option.

spare donut wheel and tire Sienna AWD (tested)

Siennas are very popular, especially the AWD. You would have no problems finding someone to buy this vehicle from you.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 PM
Supporting Member

As long as the nitrogen is free, go for it. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Once diffusion does it's natural thing, you get about the same net content (water and oxygen leave first, nitrogen stays behind).

Not sure what new you are expecting to learn about the space saver spare options available to you. Your van came with 235/55-RF18 tires, and upper line FWD vans with the same size conventional tire come with T155/80-R17 101M. It is smaller, but so would be a deflated run-flat compared to the other 3 inflated tires. Emergency, limited use only.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxyz View Post
Here is a post all about runflats and options. Post 153 has pictures of an option.

Siennas are very popular, especially the AWD. You would have no problems finding someone to buy this vehicle from you.
thank you all. I have been trying to post to this site for a few hours and the login keeps kicking me out and finally got in. I cut and paste my response from 4 hours ago but will answer and play ketchup:

"Yes I saw that but is everyone rushing out to spend $400 on a spare that goes to a Mercedes; if I am reading this right?

I wrote this company a while back and have not heard from them either.

Is finding a lousy spare for this vehicle this much of a PITA to accomodate Sienna owners?

So I am just seeking current information on this situation before another trip in a week. This is pretty efft up fromToyota.

I just want to know either where to buy a space saver spare or ANY spare that will not take up loads of space in the car.

Nitrogen has been used in aviation tires for decades for a good reason. They use Nitrogen at COSTCO in their tire department for the same reason, otherwise, why bother using NITROGEN at all.

The new information I am seeking is any NEW information that has come along since like a minute ago ok.

The beat goes on and that post with the lovely pictures was posted around thanksgiving of last year.

I will ask this community if there are updates, readily available vendors, a good place to buy an approved spare other than EBAY or other resources to deal with this POST RUN FLAT TIRE headache-thank you very much

that's why I am here trying to find answers.

Last edited by vdotmatrix; 08-01-2016 at 12:28 AM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
Nitrogen has been used in aviation tires for decades for a good reason. They use Nitrogen at COSTCO in their tire department for the same reason, otherwise, why bother using NITROGEN at all.
Why bother using nitrogen at all? To begin with, if you live on Planet Earth, nitrogen is a part of life. It's unlikely you'll escape it....

OK, one more time on this Nitrogen thing….

Q: Why did Aviation adopt Nitrogen fill?

A: An aircraft descending from 40k ft to sea level can experience a 150’ F temperature excursion in a very short duration, way too fast for the tires to catch up. That could put them at up to 15 lbs low when the wheels touch down. Anything the industry can do to help stabilize the pressures greatly reduces tire wear or loss. It’s unlikely your car experiences these rapid changes.

Aviation Best Practices Fun Facts: They reduce the impact of initial water, do repetitive pump-&-purge to remove oxygen & water vapor, and use PURE nitrogen from a LN2 source.

Q: Is nitrogen more stable over temperature than oxygen? First order answer is NO. Remember the Ideal Gas Law from freshman chemistry? As long as they remain a gas over the temperatures considered, they expand and contract at essentially the same rate. The outlier is water… It changes phase and thus pressure contribution. You know that latex stuff they slop on your bead to make mounting and sealing easier? It’s mostly water that gets left in your tire. It contributes a partial pressure when the tire is hot, condenses to liquid when cool, and could freeze on a winter night. Fortunately, water leaves the system quickly via diffusion. But until it diffuses out, your tire pressure could be unstable. Have you ever seen liquid water in a dismounted tire? Highly unlikely…

Now what do you get at Costco?

How much gas goes into your tire? Technically about 3.4 atmospheres. The first atmosphere is the room air that fills the empty space when the tire is placed on the rim. It contains about 78% nitrogen. You then fill to 36 psi (14.7 psi / atm), or about 2.4 atm. So almost a third of your fill is room air.

Does Costco give you 100% nitrogen? Some tire stores, when nitrogen was first introduced, had real liquid nitrogen tanks out back, filled by an Air Products (or other supplier) truck. Today, most use Nitrogen Concentrators. These are similar to the Oxygen Concentrators used at home by heart failure patients, only with the osmosis filter & pump system running in reverse. They deliver about 95% nitrogen. Does Costco do a multi-step pump and purge prior to filling to remove the air?

My math says you have a net initial fill of around 92% nitrogen in your tire from Costco. Yes, that’s better than 79%, but it’s not magical. Your tire is a natural sieve. The first stuff to leak out is the smaller molecules: water, oxygen & carbon dioxide. What do you have in your tire a month later, three months later? Both tires are probably approaching 95 – 98% nitrogen purity on their own. Even if you topped off every few weeks with house air. It’s unlikely you will experience ANY functional difference three months or so into your new tires.

The one thing I would advise – If you have a home compressor, make sure you drain the condensed water out occasionally. Water is far more your enemy than oxygen for a number of reasons.
Smiley1977 and tigmd99 like this.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

OMG, I am just looking for spare tire INFO and do not need to relive undergraduate chemistry here on a car forum. But I am sure people appreciate this INFO. Thanks for responding.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 AM

"Offset" is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the centerline of the tire, and affects the stress on the spindle and the bearing loads.

A 2004 invoice showing the Toyota part numbers from the local dealer is attached. The size remained the same at least through the 2012 model year, see post #5 from this thread: 2014 Sienna Limited AWD - Want Donut Spare

The calculated radius of the spare is a little smaller than the full size tire, but the loaded rolling radius should be close, since the spare is inflated to 60 psi.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: png sienna_spare.png (186.9 KB, 20 views)
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Supporting Member

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the chemistry lesson! Amazing that so many are sucked in by the Nitrogen nonsense. But I guess if I were selling tires at a sharp discount, I'd be looking for a gig that restored some of that profitability too. You should read some of the tire industry hype on this subject (mfgrs to dealers ads). I love this one:

Put "Nitrogen in Tires" with the simple touch of your finger and
generate an "Average Profit Margin" of 1000% to 3000% on each service!

But I digress...

So here is something interesting that might help you. Check ebay listing for Sienna Spares. My van (18" wheels) came with a 155/80-R17 spare, which we know is a bit small. This listing shows a spare in size 165/80-17, (2014 Sienna?) which would be a bit larger. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-20...-/252478299636

Or this one which is actually oversized : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-20...-/252478294601

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

i Finally heard back from the FREAKIN Dealership.

I am on my own.

They cannot suggest or provide a spare for the car. He said it nees a steel wheel. The other thing he said was that a FWD and AWD wheel lugs were in slightly configurations so they wouldnt fit. has this been anyone's experience?

So I will need to explore suggestions from Fibber on EBAY....thanks again!!!

Last edited by vdotmatrix; 08-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

so do you have get an adapter for this ebay tire?
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Supporting Member

Different lug nuts? I don't believe that....

What is true: Space saver spares are on steel wheels. Steel wheels typically use a conical seat, while Toyota alloys use a flat washer. But the flat washer lugs have a small conical taper at their ends to accommodate a temp spare! See your owners manual for details. As your alloy wheels for the AWD are EXACTLY the same as the alloy wheels for my FWD van, I highly doubt they would supply different lug nuts.

If these space saver spares came from a Gen-III Sienna, they should have the right bolt pattern and offset. No adapters need. But it's on YOU to push the seller to identify exactly where these came from.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warubozu View Post
"Offset" is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the centerline of the tire, and affects the stress on the spindle and the bearing loads.

A 2004 invoice showing the Toyota part numbers from the local dealer is attached. The size remained the same at least through the 2012 model year, see post #5 from this thread: 2014 Sienna Limited AWD - Want Donut Spare

The calculated radius of the spare is a little smaller than the full size tire, but the loaded rolling radius should be close, since the spare is inflated to 60 psi.

Hope this helps
thank you
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
Different lug nuts? I don't believe that....

What is true: Space saver spares are on steel wheels. Steel wheels typically use a conical seat, while Toyota alloys use a flat washer. But the flat washer lugs have a small conical taper at their ends to accommodate a temp spare! See your owners manual for details. As your alloy wheels for the AWD are EXACTLY the same as the alloy wheels for my FWD van, I highly doubt they would supply different lug nuts.

If these space saver spares came from a Gen-III Sienna, they should have the right bolt pattern and offset. No adapters need. But it's on YOU to push the seller to identify exactly where these came from.
I think I meant to say lug pattern for the 2015. I hope it is not the case. The wife saw the space save tire. But I think you need to have THAT tire, the wheel and the adapter to make that all work PLUS a small compressor-PITA.

So then, the EBAY link for the 18" donut may work...but dang...specs and application and S/H. I will have to go LOCAL here and see what they will want.... If there is NO DIFFERENCE in lug pattern, then I will bite the bullet to just buy a lousy spare that I will probably never use.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:14 AM
Supporting Member

All these vans use the 5 x 114.5 mm lug nut pattern. It been that way for years....

No adapters needed if you stay with the Toyota approved wheel. Now if you were to go with a Mercedes wheel, all bets are off....

Everyone should be carrying a $20 12v pump to go with their spare tires! In order to meet the load spec, they must be inflated to 60 psi. How many people drop their spares every few months to top them off? When they are needed most, I'll bet 90% of them are likely so deflated that using them is dangerous!
vdotmatrix likes this.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

i went to a different toyota dealership today. AND to NTB...still very disappointing.

The parts department told me that the 2015 AWD LTD vehicle as not DESIGNED to run regular tires ( whatever that could mean). He showed me toyota parts and the FWD wheels are 17" and the AWD version are 18". that's why he said I could not use the spare from the FWD. He also said he was bound by liability with the amount of info he could recommend. A new wheel will cost $500. I guess that is not including the rubber. They make this so hard like they are trying to discourage someo one from ditching the runflats but that ship has already sailed.

He gave me a number to speak with the toyota tire representative in the morning.

I read somewhere more gloom and doom about if you do get a flat that your AAA premium service would not tow you to get fixed.....or something like that I read....but I called AAA and they said that was simply not true. They tow BMW all the time with blown runflats.

The issue from the last post is staying with a Toyoto approved wheel.....that could only mean a regular full sized 18" wheel because there are no spares for my vehicle. More soon.

Tags
run flat spare, run flat tires, spares

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page