Picked up 2017 Sienna catalog from dealer - observations - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Picked up 2017 Sienna catalog from dealer - observations

1. we already know about the new engine and transmission
2. advertised gas mileage is 19 city/ 27 highway
3. can not tell from the pics if there is an ECO button. There is one on the Tacoma, which I believe uses the same engine
4. no Toyota Safety Sense, which I personally find disappointing
5. the Limited has 'power and stow' 3rd row seats
6. auto high beams at speeds above 21 mph. It does not indicate that this is only for the high-end models
7. For the limited, there is an option for dynamic radar cruise control, pre-collision system and Hill Start Assist Control. Those of us that can not afford the Limited are obviously not worth protecting
8. No change is colors
9. No noticeable changes in the exterior
10. No noticeable changes in the interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Re: Picked up 2017 Sienna catalog from dealer - observations

Great to see more power and better mileage, but I agree that the Sienna definitely needs Safety Sense across the board ... which the Highlander, Prius, and RAV4 are all having standard for 2017. The Sienna is a more expensive vehicle than the Prius and RAV4 and sells to a market (families) that care greatly about safety.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Supporting Member

5, 6 & 7 have been Limited, Limited Premium, or Limited Technology package items for some years now, so no changes here.

So it looks like just the engine & transmission, and a minor bump in fuel economy. Not much to get excited about....

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Devoted Member

The 2017 Sienna sales brochure for Canada is currently "hidden" on the Toyota Canada website: https://s3.amazonaws.com/toyota.site...17sienna_e.pdf

My opinion is that thirty more horsepower - increased from 266 to 296 - and an eight speed transmission are very significant improvements - especially for the heavier AWD and higher trim versions.

I've found our 2014 Limited to be a real "dog" when carrying six adult passengers - even without their luggage. The extra two transmission gears should make the frequent downshifting on uphill grades much smoother.

Edit: Whoa! I didn't notice that the 2017 Sienna V6 engine is "Atkinson-cycle" like a hybrid (i.e. Prius) as well as having direct injection.
rajin929 likes this.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html

Last edited by Geezer1; 08-07-2016 at 11:23 AM.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Devoted Member

Thanks for the updated info.
New powertrain sounds good.

Wow, toyota is really milking the current exterior design.

At least in the last gen., there was a refresh in the 06-10 years after 03-05.

11 SE- SILVER SKY METALLIC-Moonroof and Preferred Package

9" DVD monitor headrests [5000k HID] [LEDs][AVS window visors][Homelink compass mirror][Pioneer 6x9"][P.S. LED reflectors]
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post

My opinion is that thirty more horsepower - increased from 266 to 296 - and an eight speed transmission are very significant improvements - especially for the heavier AWD and higher trim versions.

I've found our 2014 Limited to be a real "dog" when carrying six adult passengers......
It *could* be significant if the engine is tuned to translate that improvement in peak hp (now quoted at 400 RPM higher than before...) to a requisite increase in low end torque. Otherwise, it's just bragging rights to play against the Chrysler Pacifica.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear you describe your Sienna as doggy. I was concerned that the move from a much lighter 2008 LE to the 2015 Limited Premium would leave that impression, but the 2015 is quite nice to drive, even when heavy. I'm sure the juggling of tranny ratios (5 spd vs 6 spd) certainly helped. And yet we are seeing 26 mpg on trips, which is a very pleasant surprise. Equal or better in most instances to what the old van got when it was young.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
I'm actually a bit surprised to hear you describe your Sienna as doggy. I was concerned that the move from a much lighter 2008 LE to the 2015 Limited Premium would leave that impression, but the 2015 is quite nice to drive, even when heavy. I'm sure the juggling of tranny ratios (5 spd vs 6 spd) certainly helped. And yet we are seeing 26 mpg on trips, which is a very pleasant surprise. Equal or better in most instances to what the old van got when it was young.

I might have been spoiled by 24 years of Lexus LS V8 sedans as daily drivers.

The weights of the factory installed accessories (shown on a drivers door pillar sticker) and the Curt trailer hitch pushes the curb weight of my FWD Sienna Limited to 4,575 pounds. 266 HP isn't much when the Sienna is carrying three adult couples that include three football player size males.

My last Lexus LS had a curb weight below 3,900 pounds and its engine was rated at 290 HP. Although it could carry only two adult couples, I couldn't tell much difference in how the car performed whether it was just me in the car or fully loaded with people.

Granted, it is nice that my parents, sister, brother-in-law, my wife and I can all ride in the Sienna when dining out instead of my sister and her husband taking a second vehicle. I can certainly live with the sluggishness of the Sienna when fully loaded but I sure would like more power for those situations.

A rental 2008 Sienna LE was what led me to want a Sienna ... drove it from Detroit to London, ON for a family reunion packed with cousins I met up with at the airport. Oh my! I must have had that van way over the maximum allowable weight limit with luggage piled to the ceiling behind the third row.

I would be perfectly happy if Toyota never changed the Sienna exterior design again as long as technology and comfort features were added with each model year. My main concern is that Toyota could "F-up" a significant Sienna redesign like it has on a few other models I used to like.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Devoted Member

A new powertrain without significant interior/exterior changes, means I can cross the Sienna off the shopping list this fall...

The current van is based on the chassis from 2004, it is overdue for a full refresh.

Holding my breath for something spectacular from Honda. I am not interested in the Pacifica unless they start increasing the incentives.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:12 AM
Supporting Member

Before your write off the 2017 van, take a drive. I agree (and my wife absolutely hated the 2011-2014) that the early years of the Gen-III were not impressive, but the 2015 refresh did a lot to bring it up to snuff. Unless Honda really hits it out of the park, you might just find that the additional 2017 patches keep it competitive.

I've already had one Chrysler Corp minivan. That's plenty for anyone's lifetime......
leonard1818 likes this.

post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM

Big disappointment for me. I wouldn't even consider the Odyssey if it wasn't for the leg room. The Odyssey second and third rows have significantly more.
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Big disappointment for me. I wouldn't even consider the Odyssey if it wasn't for the leg room. The Odyssey second and third rows have significantly more.
It will be interesting to see if Honda ups the horsepower of the 2017 Odyssey since the 2016 is already far behind the 2016 Sienna's 266 HP.

post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
It will be interesting to see if Honda ups the horsepower of the 2017 Odyssey since the 2016 is already far behind the 2016 Sienna's 266 HP.
As long as they get rid of VCM (which they won't). That's what keeps me from buying the Odyssey. That and their long history of bad transmissions. I like that the Sienna has a timing chain instead of belt too. Just wish they added leg room and it would be a no brainer.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
A new powertrain without significant interior/exterior changes, means I can cross the Sienna off the shopping list this fall...

The current van is based on the chassis from 2004, it is overdue for a full refresh.

Holding my breath for something spectacular from Honda. I am not interested in the Pacifica unless they start increasing the incentives.
Don't hold your breath... you'll be a blueishpurplecamper then!

I think part of adjusting to the van market was changing my standards. Things in the van market are different. Style (up until recently) has somewhat been an afterthought. Utility is weighted more and redesigns are very few and far between. I'm used to shopping the sporty-sedan segment... then the small crossover... then the large crossover... and now the van. They're all different and to expect the same level of style ,refinement, and pace across the various categories may leave you disappointed.

I don't have super-high hopes for the next Odyssey. I've heard rumors that they may try an AWD variant, but even then... I couldn't afford to wait.

Everyone is a bit different but what kinda sold me was actually the tried and true drive train of the sienna. The style is bleh anyway... but to be honest, I found the sienna much less offensive than the odyssey with it's odd angles and curves meshed together.

Now, it all depends on the vehicle and the purpose -- because for me, and for a sporty car, I may not have the same buying approach (conservative, buy the later model that has had bug fixes and a redesign).... But for my wife's daily driver and people-mover, this thing ticked all of the boxes. We bought in April and haven't looked back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
Before your write off the 2017 van, take a drive. I agree (and my wife absolutely hated the 2011-2014) that the early years of the Gen-III were not impressive, but the 2015 refresh did a lot to bring it up to snuff. Unless Honda really hits it out of the park, you might just find that the additional 2017 patches keep it competitive.

I've already had one Chrysler Corp minivan. That's plenty for anyone's lifetime......
Agreed. One of the reasons I bought new was for the mid-model refresh of the interior. I just think the '11-'14 looks a bit dated and "old person-ish" for my tastes. It's fine, really, and I wouldn't HATE it if I had it... but the redesign of the '15+ interior is very nice in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
As long as they get rid of VCM (which they won't). That's what keeps me from buying the Odyssey. That and their long history of bad transmissions. I like that the Sienna has a timing chain instead of belt too. Just wish they added leg room and it would be a no brainer.
VCM sucks. But what's worse is their interpretation of start/stop technology. Not only do I find it disruptive and not at all smooth to drive but I think there are safety implications there too... that minor delay that is built-in for the engine to reengage is the difference between a narrow miss and getting t-boned, potentially.

As mentioned above, I was tired of playing the waiting game. I'd been waiting for the new Pilot since 2014. Should have just bought a '15 Pilot when I had the chance but then I wouldn't be here, now would I
orion747 and tigmd99 like this.
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Devoted Member

I am the type of person who buys new and keeps it for 8+ years, which means I don't buy a new vehicle very often. So when I buy a vehicle, I want it to be a *new* vehicle.

It looks like the 2017 will be unchanged except for the powertrain. This means that the body style is on it's 7th year, and it will be rolling around on a chassis that was redesigned in 2004.

Sure the dash and a few other minor things were updated in 2015, but these should have been implemented when the current gen was released in 2011.

Bottom line is that there isn't much for me to get excited over the 2017 Sienna. If Honda doesn't release a winner, then I will replace the minivan with an SUV.
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:59 AM

I am very disappointed that Toyota Safety Sense is not available. It would be a great help for older drivers like us.
So we are keeping our 2006 Sienna LE (86.000 miles) and wait for 2018 or Gen 4. Our van runs great and has a flat floor without seat trollies. We get about 25 mpg with middle row seats removed. Removed them as soon as we bought it.
I'm not interested in a new engine and a tranny either. 3.3 engine has enough of power for me. I can keep it in the forth gear in a city traffic if I need more pickup.

Now I'm going to schedule timing belt, water pump, belts and hoses replaced and probably spark plugs and go on a long overdue road trip. Not sure about transmission fluid replacement. Didn't find any requirements for that in maintenance schedule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page