Windshield Cracking - Page 2 - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Re: Windshield Cracking

I do have same problem in 2011 which I bought 6/2011. How can I access to TIS with number "T-TT-0030-10"? I remember I bought the extended warranty(total 7 years) as well, but can't find the extended warranty document. Although less than a year since bought a vehicle, the warranty doesn't cover this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:13 PM

We got our Sienna 2012 in April and yesterday I found a similar crack on the right bottom side of the windshield which appears to have started just below the wiper on that side. Went to work in the morning, did not see that. As I was leaving from the parking lot in the afternoon, noticed that crack maybe up to about a quarter of the height of the glass. Any response from Toyota yet?
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 AM

We own a 2011 Toyota Sienna and noticed a crack on our windshield coming up from the base by the wipers (passenger side). The crack definitely was not there the night before because I was cleaning inside the car and didn't see it. In the morning, I discovered a crack greater than 24" long. This seems to be a common problem with Sienna as there are so many similar cases. Any suggestion and advice would be great as replacement for these type of windshields is expensive. Thanks.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 AM

Call Toyota Corporate and get a case open and mention all of the forum posts about the problem. Mentioning the Tech Tip listed above will not hurt either. If several of you do the same thing then someone will take notice.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Supporting Member

What [MetalCooper] says is correct. The Tech Tip existed because Toyota was getting reports of cracked Sienna windshields while sitting on dealer lots. They issued the Tech Tip to get data and determine frequency of occurrence. Passing on owner data can only add to the sense of urgency to develop a repair procedure. There is no guarantee that it will fall under the warranty, but it may.

Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM

I do have same problem in my Sienna 2011 today. I noticed a crack on our windshield coming up from the base by the wipers (driver side). I will bring it to the dealer this weekend.

It sounds like many 2011 have this problem. How do I report this problem to Corp Toyota. Do they have a Website or Phone number to call fom the US? Thanks.
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Toyota Customer Service 1-800-331-4331
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM

we have a 2010 sienna le. windshield cracked at middle bottom. no sign of external dammage.
we need to think about a multi-lawsuit if toyota does not honor waranty.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM

This might not be the right forum but I bought a 2013 Toyota Corolla and just about 3 weeks, there was a hairline crack on the bottom of the driver's side windshield. It did not have any signs of impact from the outside and the crack is getting longer and longer by the day. Brought it to Toyota dealership and same BS. It happens even after letting me know that 1 foot around the windshield there would be flexing and a slight pressure could crack the windshield. Inferior quality windshield is the culprit and they just don't want to admit it. Now, I'm looking for ways to have them replace it it without me shouldering the cost. Any other blogs that deals with the same problem for corolla's?
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagontrading22 View Post
This might not be the right forum but I bought a 2013 Toyota Corolla and just about 3 weeks, there was a hairline crack on the bottom of the driver's side windshield. It did not have any signs of impact from the outside and the crack is getting longer and longer by the day. Brought it to Toyota dealership and same BS. It happens even after letting me know that 1 foot around the windshield there would be flexing and a slight pressure could crack the windshield. Inferior quality windshield is the culprit and they just don't want to admit it. Now, I'm looking for ways to have them replace it it without me shouldering the cost. Any other blogs that deals with the same problem for corolla's?
If there are no signs of the crack being caused by a rock or other projectile then it is on them to replace it. If the crack started below the cowl then it is without question on them to replace it. Talk to the service manager, if that does not get you anywhere open a case with Toyota corporate. Make them show you the impact site.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
2013 Sienna Ltd -
Salsa Red Pearl w/Bisque Interior, BSM, RES - let the customization begin!!!
2010 Prius II - Current MPG 52.4
2009 Highlander Sport 4wd

ROCK THE RED - Let's Go Caps!!!
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to visually see stress on the glass by using a pair of polarized sunglasses in bright sunlight on a clear day (no clouds). If you have any give it a try and let us know what you see. You may need to try different angles of the car window relative to the sun.

Try steep angle relative to the sun, and try having the sun pass through the window. (I've never actually done it, just read about it.)

If you have the equipment take a photo of it as well.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM

We just had the same issue on our 2012 Sienna. We've had the van for about 9 months with no problems, and then this crack which starts by the wipers came up out of nowhere. We'll be calling Toyota tomorrow to see what they will do about it.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 AM

Angry Re: Windshield Cracking

I'm on windshield #2, and now need #3. We got an '11 in May '11' and noticed a crack in Sept '11. I took a printout of the forum complaints to the dealer and he replaced it as a "courtesy". This Sunday, we were driving in rainy, colder weather and heard that cracking sound again and my wife and I both immediately lookes at the windshield and saw the crack coming from the bottom blackened area by the wipers, about 2 inches away from the original crack. I called the dealer back and was told we are no longer covered. I'm reallllllly trying to continue liking Toyota, but this is disheartening. We also have an '09 Camry and had a similar problem in the winter of '10, when I was warming the car and scraping ice off the windshield and when I got in to go saw the crack happen and immediately spread horizontally. I'm having much better luck with the used '04 Saturn Vue I brought about almost 2 years ago to use as my daily commuter. It's a plain base-model 4cyl 5-speed stick, and has me doing the "oh what a feeling jump from the early '80s Toyota commercials.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM

I have a 2011 LE I bought in August 2011. We noticed our crack in November 2011. The crack starts somewhere near the middle of the passenger side wiper and makes a perfect rainbow-arch while traveling towards the driver's side wiper before ending somewhere near the middle of the driver's wiper. The max height of the crack at the middle is about three inches. It's very much out of the way and we barely notice it, but an issue nonetheless.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Supporting Member

As a general update, checking today there is no active TSB or Tech Tip on TIS for Sienna windshield cracks. In fact, there is nothing across all Toyota models.

Current: 11 Sienna Limited (Silver), 13 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB DRW (White)
Former: 09 Avalanche LTZ, 06 Sienna Limited, 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT, 00 Chevrolet Silverado, 00 GMC Envoy, 88 Chevrolet K1500, 86 Chevrolet Corvette, 82 Plymouth TC3

Tags
cracking, windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page