You cannot purchase a used gen 3 (11-16) sienna. - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

You cannot purchase a used gen 3 (11-16) sienna.

My 2011 was totaled by a drunk driver a few weeks ago. Fortunately, the van did what it was supposed to do and protected, for the most part, 4 of my kids and my wife from everything but minor bumps and bruises. Sadly I had to look for another deal on a van. I was fortunate enough when I bought the 2011 that I walked in at the right moment as a never sold corporate owned sienna was just given to the dealer to sell. 40k miles and immaculate condition, as if new.

So I started my hunt for another sienna. The local dealer told me right up front that although they had 5-6 pre-owned sienna's on the lot, that they could not sell 2011-2016 sienna because of an "stop sale" order due to safety recall on the power slider doors that toyota did not have a fix for yet. Recall letters are to go out in early January 2017.

I called another dealer nearby, same story.

I called about 10 other dealers in the Bay area and LA but they all said that it only affected certain vins and that they had vans they could sell.

I believed the majority of the dealers were correct so I started looking at a few of these dealers.

Well I found a dealer with a great deal on a 2014 with only 11k miles about 200 miles from my house.

I spoke with the Internet sales guy, and confirmed with him that the van I wanted was not an affected vin and I could buy it. So I drove down after work, spent the night and met at the dealership the following morning.

I spent an hour looking, driving, and negotiating a great deal on the low mileage van. The "closer" of the dealership tag team went to draw up the paperwork and a few minus later came back and said

"I cant believe it, but we can't sell you that van or any other used sienna from 2011-very early 2016 model" Toyota has put a stop sale on all the vans, not just specific vins or trim lines.

I was supper pissed as I asked him to verify what I was hearing locally before I had spent time, fuel and hotel expense to get down there and buy.

The sales manager also had no idea either.

Anyway, he asked if I wanted to look at a new 2016 as they still had a few, and I said that unless he could get an XLE down to within reasonable range of the used XLE I was looking at I wasn't interested.

Well, they happened to have a corporate "demo" XLE with 324 miles on the odometer that was listed as new, they came off the MSRP almost 10k! And I walked out with a basically new van for a used van price.

So happy ending, but Toyota have a ton of used vans that they can't sell for the foreseeable future. They told me, as did the other two dealers that it was illegal for them to sell the used vans and that no Toyota dealer can sell them until future notice.

That is a huge deal is it not? How is there so many dealers lacking in knowing this? Some dealers I guess were going so far as taking the pre-owned inventory off of their websites.

I looked it up, and best I can tell is the power sliders are opening at random times, even while in motion. Best I can tell the NHTSB has not issued a mandatory recall as of yet.

I seriously thought it was just a ploy by a few dealers to force buyers toward purchasing new, but after I saw this dealer take a loss on this van basically as a way to make up for all the hassle I went through to try and purchase the one I originally wanted, I don't think it is a sales game.

Anyone else in California had the same experience in the last couple of weeks?

I will say I am pretty pleased with my purchase, and feel pretty fortunate to have had walked into this purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

Re: You cannot purchase a used gen 3 (11-16) sienna.

Sounds like you got the 'deal of the month'. Nice!

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage

Congrats on an awesome deal! My guess is some dealers are unaware because mini vans aren't on the popular side of their line up?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 PM

I just bought a used '15 from a Toyota dealership. It wasn't certified, and I asked why and the salesman told me it was because of the outstanding recall you mentioned. I live in Utah, and they sell a ton of minivans, so they should have known if there really was an order to stop selling them. My guess is that California has some stricter regulations that prevented the dealer from selling that may not be applicable in other states. I bought it knowing about the recall so I hope they come out with a fix soon!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Must be a California law. I just did a quick web search on my local (Ohio) dealer's website and saw 2013 Sienna's for sale (the year I bought this summer). The prices were higher than what I paid and the miles were higher than mine, so I guess I got a good deal at the time. :-)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM

I just ran into something similar here in NC. I just picked up a 2014 but before I could actually sign any of the sale paperwork, I had to sign a notice acknowledging the open recall for the door. According to how the law is written here, they were able to sell the van in NC because it wasn't listed as a critical safety recall like the airbags would have been. They can sell vehicles to wholesale with open recalls but they cannot sell to an individual consumer in NC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 AM

I don't know about the recall but I do know I can start my 2013 up and drive down the road with the sliding door wide open. No warning alert. Maybe that's what it's about. Anyway, good deal on the new one you got.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM

There must be something to this, at least in Arizona.

The dealership I bought my (new) 2016 Sienna from about a year ago had dozens of used late model Siennas on hand when I bought mine.

I just went to the dealerships web site and looked for the Sienna's they offer.
The only ones they show are all new 2017 vehicles. Not one 2011 thru 2016, new or used is offered.

The thing I find strange is the recall, as I understand it, deals with power side doors yet, there are (believe it or not) several models (like mine) that don't have POWER side operated doors.

Very strange.

Had this happened when I bought my Sienna I would be driving a Honda Odyssey today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page