2017 ECT PWR mode / S - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

2017 ECT PWR mode / S

Hi, maybe my first post here but I'm not new to Siennas. I've rented the first gen for months at a time, owned two 2nd gens and now few third gens.

I had a problem with my 2015 so I was trying to replace it with a new 2016. Alas, none left.

This was because during my test drive of the 2017s, I felt the transmission stayed in the low gears too long and when the accelerator was pressed moderately but not aggressively, the engine felt like it lost 30HP and rather than gained 30hp. When fully pressed, I could feel the power of the new engine. On the highway, it was very quiet as it stayed in the higher gears of the new 8 spd transmission. I drove a demo 2016 back to back with the 2017 a few times.

So I bought a 2017 Limited Awd and I thought I could learn to live with what was less than satisfying engine/transmission combo. I know it was touted in a few reviews as preferred over the 2016's. I just didn't see it in my style of driving. I hoped the transmission will learn my driving style. I experimented with the S position and perhaps it changed the shifting pattern but I wasn't sure yet. In the previous Siennas, I felt it only limited the top gear and changed nothing. This was a bit different. I still was bothered by the feeling that it lacked power as the engine revved towards 4000 rpm feeling like a 4 cylinder.

I knew the new engine was this Dual VVT-I but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. And the dealer agreed that the 2016 was the better driver and Toyota needed to tweak the transmission shifting a bit more.

I've not finished a tank of gas with this van yet but along the way, as I scrolled through the little screen in front of the steering wheel, I saw an option to turn on ECT PWR. With it on, the Eco light went out.

Suddenly the van felt like it gained a lot of power, the transmission shifting seems different but for me the more noticeable factor was a sense of power. No where in the manual does it say anything about how it affects the engine. Only it would be helpful in mountainous terrain, etc. I like what I found and it was very exciting for me but it was hard to find info on it.

I'll report back as I experiment with it some more.

From the 2017 manual pdf file pages 234-237:
Use when high levels of response and feeling are desirable, such as
when driving in mountainous regions or when overtaking.

�� Vehicles with monochrome display

Press the “DISP” switch to display
the “ECT PWR” and press and
hold the “DISP” switch.

When power mode is on, the “ECT
PWR” indicator will come on.

�� Vehicles with color display
Press the 4-way switches left or
right to select settings display.

Press the 4-way switches
upwards or downwards until
“ECT PWR” appears.

Press the center button to
change to “ON”.
The “ECT PWR” indicator will be
displayed.

Each pressing of the switch turns
power mode on and off.

Finally the S mode:
S mode
●When the shift range is 7 or lower, holding the shift lever toward “+” sets the
shift range to 8.
●To prevent excessive engine speed, a function was adopted that automatically
selects a higher shift range before the engine speed becomes too high.
●To protect the automatic transaxle, a function is adopted that automatically
selects a higher shift range when the fluid temperature is high.

Last edited by Jae P; 01-03-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: adding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Devoted Member

Re: 2017 ECT PWR mode / S

If it's like the PWR mode on Lexus vehicles, it provides exactly the same performance as the "normal" mode but without having to mash the gas pedal with as much force.

I'd like the Sienna to have an ECT Snow mode like Lexus vehicles. It provides 2nd gear starts and dramatically alters the shift pattern to further reduce wheel spin. It is the feature I miss most in Winter.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 AM

I love the ect pwr mode, it bypasses eco and gives you normal old school less civilized 296hp whenever you want it on the fly with your thumb. Also you can turn off both VSC and traction control put the shifter in S mode and have a full on 4WD and shift gears manually or leave it in a lower range, it's a super dynamic modern setup.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:17 PM

I have a 2017 Ltd AWD, I noticed that in the etune settings there is an option to turn off the eco mode, does anyone no if that actually turns off the eco setting on the power train or just disables the eco light on the dash?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 PM

Disabling the ECO, just turns off the light, nothing else. It's in the manual.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 PM

So does turning it on help the lag I am experiencing getting up to speed off the line? Feels sluggish before power kicks in around 35 miles per hour.
Would you leave it in this mode?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Yes it does improve throttle response, unfortunately, it defaults back to ECO every time you turn the key off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Devoted Member

I had the opportunity to drive a rental 2017 XLE last week. Sure the PWR ECT mode helps big time, the van felt much more responsive in terms of power. I remember having this feature on my 1992 Camry ( I still have this car ) the 8 speed does help and even with my lead foot, gas mileage is better. I saw images of the 2018 hoping they at least have an hybrid or even a plugin hybrid coming out soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:32 PM

For 2017 owners with sluggish transmission, check out this link:
http://www.consumerreports.org/toyota/2017-toyota-highlander-sienna-transmissions-updated-to-shift-smoother/

I got this software update a few weeks ago and it made an immediate noticeable difference. Dealership never heard of it so be sure to reference the update number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page