Toyota Sienna Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III - 2" - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Toyota Sienna Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III - 2"

Does anyone here have the Toyota Sienna Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III - 2" hitch for their Sienna? This looks to be a very low profile yet still reasonably priced hitched. But it's fairly new so not many reviews yet on eTrailer.com. So if you have one, I'd like to hear the good, bad, and the ugly on this product. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Devoted Member

Re: Toyota Sienna Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III - 2"

I think one person on this forum reported installing one - try searching as some people don't use these forums often.

There is no bad or ugly about Draw-Tite hitches. I've had several. I remember that it's not necessary to remove the bumper cover like it is when installing the similar but much more expensive hidden Torklift hitch on a Sienna.

I would have bought this Draw-Tite hitch if it had been available when I bought and installed my Curt hitch from etrailer in 2014. I buy a LOT from etrailer.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

You're right. Took a bit of searching, but I found the thread (the person who replied to the original question bought and installed this new 2" hitch):

2015: Which Class II hitch (1.25") manufacturer has the best ground clearance?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 AM

I just put it on my 2014 a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to hook up my wiring yet so no trailer pulls as of right now. I've loaded my Thule 4 bike carrier without any issues though. Install was pretty straight forward too and I love the low profile. I picked up my Sienna used and it looks like the previous owner had a hitch installed and removed but they didn't put the splash shield back on so I didn't have any cutting or anything to do. I was able to install the hitch without taking my bumper off, I just had to bend a few tabs a bit to spoon the hitch up into place. Total install took about 20 minutes by myself because I didn't have to mess with the air shield. It's my wife's daily driver and I'm at work but I'll try to snap up a couple of pictures later on this evening if you need.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM

Found one picture that I forgot I took haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8906_1487170157024.jpg (275.6 KB, 90 views)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and the picture! I really like the clean look of this hitch versus the older models that really hang down a lot. I'm also a bit fearful that the older, lower, style will scrape the ground when I back out of my driveway.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Supporting Member

I was able to install the hitch without taking my bumper off, I just had to bend a few tabs a bit to spoon the hitch up into place.

I love it! I've watched the video for the torklift install a few times with exactly that idea in mind, but they also have an extra brace that goes in the center. There doesn't look to be enough clearance for getting your hands/tools/brackets in there to accomplish this last piece of the installation without removing the bumper.

Call me lazy, but I just don't want to have to remove the bumper to get this job done. I've removed bumpers before on prior cars (it was a must for any hitch installed on the Odyssey), and it's just a hassle I'd rather avoid having to deal with.

I see that there are tabs off of both the bumper and well pan that you have to skirt along with the exhaust (after hanger removal). Were you able to get it up there without damaging any of these? I do want to reinstall the skirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg max-frame drawtite.JPG (45.3 KB, 72 views)

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX

Last edited by fibber2; 02-16-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typos...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Supporting Member

So next up would be a wiring interface module. I really prefer a 'buffered' type when possible, so that a trailer wiring issue won't propagate into the vehicle. In addition to the signals from the running/brake/directionals, this type of module requires a 12v feed from the battery, and uses virtually no power from the vehicles lighting system. If something shorts out, you only blow the fuse on the feed, and your van lights stay on.

A ready available single point trailer hitch extension connector with a power feed was provided on my Subaru, but I doubt Toyota is as generous. At least they weren't on my Gen-II. So step one is likely to do as Geezer did and run a fresh line to the back. Pro's & con's of the different brand interface modules? If I want to run a line out permanently, any good tips on existing rubber body plugs? I hate drilling....

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber2 View Post
I was able to install the hitch without taking my bumper off, I just had to bend a few tabs a bit to spoon the hitch up into place.

I love it! I've watched the video for the torklift install a few times with exactly that idea in mine, but they also have an extra brace that goes in the center. There doesn't look to be enough clearance for getting your hands/tools/brackets in there to accomplish this last piece of the installation without removing the bumper.

Call me lazy, but I just don't want to have to remove the bumper to get this job done. I've removed bumpers before on prior cars (it was a must for any hitch installed on the Odyssey), and it's just a hassle I'd rather avoid having to deal with.

I see that there are tabs off of both the bumper and well pan that you have to skirt along with the exhaust (after hanger removal). Were you able to get it up there without damaging any of these? I do want to reinstall the skirt.

I like the Draw-Tite version because I didn't have to deal with that extra set of center bolts like the Torklift does. As far as the tabs go, the metal well pan tabs just tilt towards the ground and the bumper tabs are flexible enough that they just move out of the way without breaking. I didn't want to move the metal well pan tabs too much because I didn't want them to break off but I moved each one down once, then back up. I can't promise that yours won't fall off but mine are still secure so just do that at your own risk. I don't have the splash guard to put back on but all tabs are still in tact if I decide to pick one up to put back on.

Side note - May sound obvious but I did this on a warm day and the van was sitting in the driveway for a few hours so I believe that may have had a little to do with how flexible the bumper was instead of being cold and more brittle.

Last edited by spryan81; 02-16-2017 at 08:39 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Supporting Member

....I did this on a warm day....

I was sort of laughing to myself earlier this morning while thinking about any kind of installation involving plastics. The snow should melt by May if all goes well!

But it sounds great. Dispensing with the center attach is brilliant. That greatly eases the installation requirements. I think I'm sold, and glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Torklift. I feel bad for the little guy that had the bright idea, but at little more than I paid for my last 'hanging down below' hitch, this one gets my vote.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Devoted Member

Fibber, I ran the wires for my trailer harness and rear fog light through one of the two rearward rubber grommets I see in the photo you posted - I don't remember which one. I may have sliced the grommet slightly with a utility knife to make a slot for the wires to fit through.

I doubt if there is much difference between the plug-and-play trailer harness available for the Sienna except that (I think) the ones for the 2015-up may have different connectors for the newer style Sienna tail lights. The one I have is from Curt and was easy to install - truly plug and play.

I ran the power wire for the trailer light harness underneath my Sienna per the instructions that came with it. Doing that was quick and it was easy to cable tie the wires to protected areas under the van. I've never had a problem with a trailer light power wires running under a vehicle but some people seem to hate the idea maybe thinking that the wire is more prone to being damaged than it really is.

When I installed the rear fog light, I found that it was unexpectedly easy to run wires from the back of the Sienna through the interior to a dashboard switch and then into the engine compartment through a grommet above the gas pedal. It was easy to push/hide the wires under the bottom edge of the driver side trim panel by the third row seat and underneath the two driver side door thresholds. The thresholds pull off easily. I had to remove the driver side kick panel to get the wires behind it. So ... if you don't want to lay on your back under your Sienna to run the trailer light power wire, you might like running the power wire through the interior. I think where some people have run into problems (e.g. fires!) from running power wires through interiors have been when they ran them under carpets and didn't protect the wires from abrasion.

Toyota/Lexus sells trailer light harnesses in Europe for many vehicles that are also sold in the U.S. but for which trailer light harnesses are not sold. All the installation instructions on the European Toyota and Lexus "techinfo" websites I've seen show running trailer light wires through interiors and then through firewalls into engine compartments.

If you are concerned about breaking the plastic tabs on the bumper cover due to the cold weather, try heating them up first with a hair drier ... but please don't stand in the snow or a puddle while doing that! Kidding ... don't want to lose you.

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Ha, I just ordered this hitch from etrailer.com on Tuesday; they shipped Wednesday; it'll arrive in Salt Lake on Monday. They seem like a company who really has their act together.

I went with the T-one harness from etrailer. A few people had complaints about parasitic drains with the Curtis. Probably little to no difference in reality.

Sounds like I wait for a warm sunny day to do this for a few reasons and butt the van into the sunshine for a few hours. Thanks for the tip on that!

2014 Limited AWD starting into a camper conversion.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 PM
Supporting Member

... but please don't stand in the snow or a puddle while doing that!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzZAP!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Parasitic drain can be fixed by adding a relay. You get your power from the front, like in the instructions, but you use the relay to switch it off when the car isn't running. For the relay trigger, you just tap into any switched circuit. For example, the power outlet in the back, which might even be near where you want to install the "electronics box" for the trailer lights.

The only danger here is that if you blow the circuit for the back power outlet, you'll lose your trailer lights. But this would be true no matter which circuit you use for a trigger. You can also lose the trailer lights for other reasons like you forgot to plug in the trailer lights, or the fuse for the "electronics box" blows, or...

Just check that your trailer lights work every time you set out to pull the trailer, which you should be doing anyway.

Last edited by Jeff2; 02-17-2017 at 08:57 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrasclimber View Post
I went with the T-one harness from etrailer. A few people had complaints about parasitic drains with the Curtis. Probably little to no difference in reality.

I assume you meant "Curt". I just read a number of reviews of the Curt harness on etrailer.com. Most of the people that had difficulty didn't seem to follow the instructions or understand how to route wires the most direct ways. And some even complained about having to connect the power wire from the trailer light harness to the battery. Apparently they wanted to go back to the old days before converter boxes where it was a struggle to get adequate power directly from the vehicle tail lights to the trailer lights and even a minor amount of corrosion on connectors meant dim or no trailer lights..

It's interesting how people rationalize departing from the instructions such as when they say that connecting the trailer harness power wire to a 12V port in the back of the Sienna is "good enough" for their current need due to their current trailer having LED lights. Sad that people don't think long term including for subsequent vehicle owners and do it right the first time.

Adding an extra relay as Jeff suggested seems like overkill. A properly grounded trailer light harness shouldn't draw any current at all when the vehicle lights are off. The converter box that is part of all modern trailer light harnesses is really just a set of relays. There are a number of components in modern vehicles that draw power when vehicles are parked - one that came up recently on Lexus and Toyota forums was the fuel system self check that runs five hours after engines are shut off and which is quite noisy on some models.

I apologize for the rant. At least I've made a nice living the past 40+ year goading supposedly highly educated/trained people into following instructions in technical manuals!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page