Toyo Celsius, Nokian WRG3, Continental TrueContact - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By steve80

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Toyo Celsius, Nokian WRG3, Continental TrueContact

Hey everyone! It's time to get some new tires for my 2015 XLE AWD. I have 33k miles on the original run-flats and I'm ready to commit to using non-RFTs for this next round. I live in the Boston area so we get a decent amount of snow most winters and we do head up to the mountains a few times a winter so the tire has to perform well in snow but I don't want to have an extra set of winter wheels. So I'm considering the Toyo Celsius and Nokian WRG3 as they are considered "all weather tires" (can handle winter better than an all season) or perhaps the Continental TrueContact (which is an "all season") because they do have good ratings for use in snow. Is anyone using any of these tires? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Re: Toyo Celsius, Nokian WRG3, Continental TrueContact

Three posts with the same question within 18 minutes is not going to generate more answers.
I just ticks people off.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipster View Post
Three posts with the same question within 18 minutes is not going to generate more answers.
I just ticks people off.
My bad. As you can tell from my post count I'm new here. I posted to the "3rd gen" category before realizing there was a "tire" category. Then after posting to the "tire" category I did a search (what I should have done in the first place) for "toyo celsius" and found the other post someone else had already made. Again, my apologies.

FWIW I'm still open to feedback related to my question if anyone has any input.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I've narrowed it down to the Nokian WRG3 SUV and the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Any opinions? Thanks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 AM
NNW

I run the wgr3's on my subaru for 3 seasons and then pull off for proper snow season to put the studded Nokkian hakkapalitas on. I have driven the wrgs in snow and summer 90f weather. They are amazing. A true all season for normal driving.

I'm at 15,000 miles on my sienna and have Nokkian Hakka R2's as winters. Once the oe run flats wear out I will probably go to wgr3's on the sienna for 3 season weather. They are good enough in the snow that unless you are going skiing every weekend in Colorado you can get away with them through the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNW View Post
I run the wgr3's on my subaru for 3 seasons and then pull off for proper snow season to put the studded Nokkian hakkapalitas on. I have driven the wrgs in snow and summer 90f weather. They are amazing. A true all season for normal driving.
This is great feedback - thanks! Have you noticed any reduction in MPG with the WRG3? The MPG on the AWD Sienna is so bad I'm hoping to not make it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNW View Post
I'm at 15,000 miles on my sienna and have Nokkian Hakka R2's as winters. Once the oe run flats wear out I will probably go to wgr3's on the sienna for 3 season weather. They are good enough in the snow that unless you are going skiing every weekend in Colorado you can get away with them through the winter.
Again, great input. Thanks!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:20 PM
NNW

To be honest, on the subaru it doesn't make a difference mileage wise. Doesn't matter if I'm running the studded Hakka 4's, the WGR3's or the summer orientated tires that came on it. It gets within 5 miles a tank irrespective of tires and driving style. Much better mileage than the Sienna unsurprisingly.

It's a legitimate question for the sienna though, I just don't have an answer sorry. I would still consider them. No experience with the other tyres but personally I would also take a look at the Continental since I know they have very good summer rubber compounds. I would be surprised if they didn't have good compounds for other conditions. I know for mountain bikes, continental have excellent compounds for wet slick conditions. Apples to oranges I know, but having the knowledge of what rubber compounds work in what conditions probably transfers within a company to different departments.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM

I just got a 2017 Limited AWD but I have put Toyo Celsius tires on two Subaru's on Cleveland and they are holding up great! there is a little more road noise but they work great on are bad roads and worse weather. I'll find out in about 20-25K miles if the Toyo's handle the weight of a Sienna.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

OP update: I'm sitting in the shop right now as my new Nokian WRG3 tires are going on. Local shop had a buy 3 get 1 free deal and at $800 installed with lifetime free rotations and 3 year warranty it seemed a great deal.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM

ive been driving on the continental truecontact tires for the past two years since moving off the stock yokohama runflats.

The ride has been noticibly more comfortable and i feel like im getting more treadlife out of these than the original rubber. I've been very pleased with these but my next set may be pirelli scorpions. those are far more quieter on my other toyota suv and i'd like to see how they fair on the van.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 PM

It appears you have already bought tires, but I do have the Continental True Contacts on our 2012 Sienna. I replied to a different post in the tire section with the same info below, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic through that section.

-----
In 2015 I put the 235 60 17 103T Continental True Contacts on our 2012 Sienna XLE. They have a 90k tread wear warranty. We now have 32k miles on them and they are done. Not really too happy with them. Also, the dry and wet traction on them are terrible. Above average acceleration from a dead stop and the True Contacts will hop on dry pavement and spin on wet. The OEM Firestones never did that, and they got 34k miles on a 55k mile tire.

I think the next set of tires will be truck tires. The Cooper AT/3's on my pickup truck, which is heavier than my wife's Sienna, still look brand new after 22k miles, and at the last inspection, they only wore 2/32" off the tread depth since new. The AT/3's come in the correct size so I'm thinking of trying them, but they are only 103 load range, same as OEM. My alternative is that Nitto makes a NT421Q suv/truck tire in a 106 load range. I think the Sienna needs higher load capacity tires, not sure what I will go with
------

From some research, I can buy several brands of LT225 75 17 truck tires available with a load index of 116 or 120. These are 30 inches tall instead of the OEM 28 inches tall, but I suspect they will fit, and they will last longer. Although I still have not called a dealer to find out if I can buy the 235 60 17 tires in 6 ply LT load ranges.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 AM

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has the Micheline LTX MS Defenders and our 4runner has the Nokian WRG3. We find the Nokians better in the snow, but they dont last as long as the Michelines. My previous LTX MS lasted 10 years with almost 80% tread left, no cracks, etc... Replaced them last January with the new Defenders.

When our runflat junk wears out on our Sienna, we will be getting either the Defenders or the WRG3s and adding a spare to the "trunk" like the other person did in the sticky.

2014 XLE AWD
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:05 AM

We just put on the WRG3's and wow what a difference... plus the tread actually has depth!
NNW likes this.

2014 XLE AWD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Just to chime in late on this. My wife and I are about to purchase a new vehicle, and the Sienna is one of three on the list (why I registered here.)
As for the tires, I am on my second set of the TrueContacts on our 2007 Odyssey EX-L. On this van previously, we had the ComforTred Touring, Defender, Firestone Winterforce, and some Falkens (I forget the model).

For us, the TrueContacts are worlds above the others. The tread-life is my only gripe. The overall grip in the light snow, down pouring rain, and dry is MUCH better than the Goodyear (comical wet grip), and a descent bit better than the Defenders. We only get about 40k miles out of a set, but for the added security of what is most important when hauling around the family (great traction in all weather) I don't mind replacing them more often. The Defenders were a joke in the slush. My ComforTred's that were worn down (had 48k on them) to the tread wear indicators had better control, response, and gripe than the Michelin's did when new.

For where you are, I think you went with the best option. If you are looking for a tire to use in a less severe snow climate, the TrueContacts and even the Altimax RT 43's are a very good option. I've had great success with those tires on other vehicles.

I hope you have many miles of safe use with those tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page