Sliding Door Recall status? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Sliding Door Recall status?

Hey all -

We're looking to buy either a CPO or leftover 2015/2016 SE (prefer red but would take white). With the current sliding door recall, there is a Stop Sale on leftover 2016s and Toyota will not honor an otherwise-OK vehicle as CPO with an open recall (nor will they classify it as CPO if I buy it now and have the recall addressed once the fix is available). I've tried negotiating with dealers on this point (basically trying to get them to throw in an equivalent-length VSA at no cost since the only reason I want a CPO is the warranty), but none want to play ball.

So, for those out there with an affected 3rd gen (which I believe to be everyone except '17 owners), has anyone seen ANY progress on this? The recall opened mid-November 2016 and some info I've found online said letters would go out to owners in January. Just wondering if anyone received a letter and if it gave any sort of timeline to when a 'fix' is thought to be available. We're not in an absolute hurry, but the wife is due with Baby #3 in late April and I'd like to know whether we should just pull the trigger on a used unit now or wait.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 02-21-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 AM

Re: Sliding Door Recall status?

I've not seen any progress on this. I received the recall letter where Toyota recommends that owners disable the power sliding doors (there is a switch on the dash to do this) until there is a fix for the problem.

I personally bought an extended warranty even though my 2013 was a Toyota Certified used car. The warranty protection provided as a Toyota Certified used car is, unfortunately, quite limited.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

I got the letter in January and have heard nary a peep since. In light of the fact that there is a switch on the dash that reduces Toyota's liability related to injuries, I doubt they'll be in too big of a hurry to do anything about it. I'm hoping to hear from them while I still own the van.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck66 View Post
I got the letter in January and have heard nary a peep since. In light of the fact that there is a switch on the dash that reduces Toyota's liability related to injuries, I doubt they'll be in too big of a hurry to do anything about it. I'm hoping to hear from them while I still own the van.
I disagree...

In light of the Takata airbag issues, and this being a potentially huge opening for law suites, I am pretty sure Toyota is working hard to develop a lasting resolution to this problem.

These things take time.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, to tie a bow on this (sorta), we ended up buying a 15 SE (white) from a private party. We got what I'm pretty sure is a great price, enough cheaper than the dealer to warrant the (minor) risks that come with buying this way. Still debating whether to pull the trigger on a VSA, but that's one less thing to be worrying about as we prep for the new family addition.

Mike
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Supporting Member

Good to hear you found what you wanted!

You have until the 3 year or 36k mile point to decide on a Platinum extended warranty. I paid $1400 for the 8 yr, 125k mile, $0 deductible and am already nearly $1k ahead. You wouldn't think that a 2015 Limited with under 40k miles would need expensive work, but it happens. Two electrical items (HVAC panel with a bad switch and the drivers door courtesy light switch), and a leaking strut came to over $2,300.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:26 PM
abs

Whiteboyslo, I'm in the same situation as you were. It's really frustrating as dealers do have 2016 inventory but can not sell those units. Meanwhile, there are 750k Siennas on the road included in the recall. As mentioned, there is an easy work around to disable the electric doors until a fix is implemented. I can wait until a fix is available or buy used, like you did. Ironically, the 2017 vehicles seem to have a "fix" for the auto closing doors . . . I wonder if the upgraded mechanism in the 2017s could simply be installed in the prior year vehicles . . .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
Whiteboyslo, I'm in the same situation as you were. It's really frustrating as dealers do have 2016 inventory but can not sell those units. Meanwhile, there are 750k Siennas on the road included in the recall. As mentioned, there is an easy work around to disable the electric doors until a fix is implemented. I can wait until a fix is available or buy used, like you did. Ironically, the 2017 vehicles seem to have a "fix" for the auto closing doors . . . I wonder if the upgraded mechanism in the 2017s could simply be installed in the prior year vehicles . . .
Does anyone one know if they actually made a change to the 2017's? I got one in January and while I'm not all that concerned I'm wondering if Toyota made a change or is simply using some legal loop hole to leave the 2017's off the recall.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Any news on this? I would love to buy a 2015 CPO.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalker View Post
Any news on this? I would love to buy a 2015 CPO.
Just checked. No updates at present.

I would double check with your local Toyota dealership to see if the STOP SALE has been removed for the CPO.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:02 PM

Cars.com shows only 64 2015 CPO Siennas in the entire USA, so it appears to still be on:
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...ion&yrId=56007
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:59 PM

We just bought used 2016 Sienna but the Dealer de-fused the power sliding door. Toyota dealership wouldn't turn it back on for liability reasons. I tried to put the fuses back in but it still doesn't work (I am aware there is ON/OFF button for the pwr doors) Any suggestions how to make the power sliding door work again? Unplug the battery maybe? Thanks
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Devoted Member

I wonder if the dealer turned it off with Techstream via the diagnostic port.

Edit: Yes, turning off the power sliding doors is listed as a customizable feature that can be done by Toyota dealers: http://www.tsienna.net/customizable_features-422.html

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html

Last edited by Geezer1; 05-19-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolnar View Post
We just bought used 2016 Sienna but the Dealer de-fused the power sliding door. Toyota dealership wouldn't turn it back on for liability reasons. I tried to put the fuses back in but it still doesn't work (I am aware there is ON/OFF button for the pwr doors) Any suggestions how to make the power sliding door work again? Unplug the battery maybe? Thanks
considering it is a safety issue why would you want to?
if you were to re-enable the sliders and something happened, the dealership has proof that they disabled the sliders and you would be liable for any damages...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStage View Post
considering it is a safety issue why would you want to?
Because the main condition under which the problem has occurred seems very rare. The last time I had a car door that would not open due to being covered with ice was in 1975! Even if a sliding door was to open while a Sienna was moving due to this issue, it's not as if a belted occupant is going to be sucked out of the vehicle like airline passengers have been sucked out through gaping holes blown out in aircraft fuselage.

Maybe it's already been provided on this forum but there is a link to the press release about this recall: http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...call-nov22.htm

2014 Sienna Limited, 2012 Prius v - both Blizzard Pearl with Advanced Technology Package
E-Code rear fog light installation: http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-m...14-sienna.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page