PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 13
PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

I searched but can't find any topic about this. I don't like all the doors of my new Sienna unlocking when I shift to park so I reprogrammed it. Here is a brief tutorial for programming Toyota door locks…


Automatic Door Unlocking – Linked To Shift Lever (Automatic Transmission Models Only)
This Will Program All The Doors To Unlock Whenever The Shift Lever Placed In PARK.
Set The Parking Brake
Make Sure All Doors Are Closed
Place The Ignition Switch In The “ON” position
Place The Transmission Gear Selection In The “P” position (PARK)
Within 10 Seconds Of Turning The Ignition To The “ON” Position, Press And Hold The Driver’s Side Power Door Lock Switch In The Unlock Position (Rear Of The Switch) For 5 Seconds
All Doors Will Lock And Unlock To Indicate That The Programming Was Successful.
To Cancel The Programming, Repeat The Steps.



Automatic Door Unlocking-Linked To The Driver’s Door
This will program all the doors to automatically unlock whenever the driver’s door is opened within 10 seconds after the ignition is turned from “ON” to the “ACCESSORY” or “OFF” position.
Set the Parking Brake
Make sure all doors are closed
Place the ignition switch in the “ON” position
Automatic Transmission Models Only- place the transmission gear selector in the “N” position (NEUTRAL)
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the unlock position (rear of the switch) for 5 seconds
All doors will lock and unlock to indicate that the programming was successful.
To cancel the programming, repeat the steps.



Automatic Door Locking – Linked To Vehicle Speed
This Will Program All The Doors To Lock Whenever The Vehicle Reaches A Speed Of About 12 mph.
Set the Parking Brake
Make sure all doors are closed
Place the ignition switch in the “ON” position
Automatic Transmission Models Only- place the transmission gear selector in the “N” position (NEUTRAL)
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the “ON” position, press and hold the driver’s side power door lock switch in the unlock position (front of the switch) for 5 seconds and then release
All doors will lock and unlock to indicate that the programming was successful.
To cancel the programming, repeat the steps.
siena2011 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
jvk
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 37
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

This is interesting... door functions can also be configured via menu options on the clock setup.
jvk is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?

2011 Sienna Limited, Aspen Pearl
Hopeful is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,923
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?
Although I assume that the owner's manual has the answer for this, the fact that its not a stupid question, and the operation of the ignition switch is not obvious, is a good example of why I think a single "1/0" button for a vehicle's ignition is stupid. It isn't even convenient for a computer (where this on/off toggle design started), and makes no sense for a car. An intelligent design would be a rotary switch just like the traditional key setup, but without the key.

I just read the "engine (ignition) switch" section (for "vehicles with smart key system") of the 2011 owners manual (starts on page 215 of section 2-1), and I still don't know exactly how to get the ignition on without starting. It may not matter, since jvk's comment suggests that this switch dance is not required in models with the fancy screen... which I'm guessing would include any version with Smart Key. That's probably in the manual, but I have not downloaded all the sections for the third generation, and it's not obvious in the sections that I do have.
brian_bp is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 218
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?
Although I assume that the owner's manual has the answer for this, the fact that its not a stupid question, and the operation of the ignition switch is not obvious, is a good example of why I think a single "1/0" button for a vehicle's ignition is stupid. It isn't even convenient for a computer (where this on/off toggle design started), and makes no sense for a car. An intelligent design would be a rotary switch just like the traditional key setup, but without the key.

I just read the "engine (ignition) switch" section (for "vehicles with smart key system") of the 2011 owners manual (starts on page 215 of section 2-1), and I still don't know exactly how to get the ignition on without starting. It may not matter, since jvk's comment suggests that this switch dance is not required in models with the fancy screen... which I'm guessing would include any version with Smart Key. That's probably in the manual, but I have not downloaded all the sections for the third generation, and it's not obvious in the sections that I do have.
Well...your point is well taken: I once spent a fun 10 minutes in a not-great section of Chicago trying to get a Prius started (made even harder by the fact that, of course, "started" didn't mean the engine was running!).

However, I believe that it has become standard for pushbutton start to work as the Sienna's does: push without stepping on brake pedal, get Accessory; press again, get On (but no engine); press again, Off. Whether the manual does a good job of explaining it is, of course, another matter.

My point isn't that it's a dumb question -- it's not -- but that there's a lot to driving a car that's not that well documented because the interface is (largely) standardized (wipers and lights notwithstanding).

Contrast this with the early days of cars, where everything was different from one to the next; or to airplanes, where that's largely still true. Imagine if this standardization hadn't happened -- "My license only allows me to drive Fords and Chryslers, not GM products"! (And the niche makers would REALLY be in a world o' hurt -- where would you go to learn how to drive a Ferrari? Well, I guess if you can afford one, you could afford the training...)
akphs is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

Thank you, I feel better now! I guess I just felt dumb that I hadn't considered needing to know this because it's a second nature know-how by now on all the "key turn" vehicles I've driven, so it didn't even cross my mind about this van until I read it here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akphs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful
Okay, stupid question...but to put the switch in the "on" position with the push button start, I assume I would just push the button without pushing the brake peddle?
Although I assume that the owner's manual has the answer for this, the fact that its not a stupid question, and the operation of the ignition switch is not obvious, is a good example of why I think a single "1/0" button for a vehicle's ignition is stupid. It isn't even convenient for a computer (where this on/off toggle design started), and makes no sense for a car. An intelligent design would be a rotary switch just like the traditional key setup, but without the key.

I just read the "engine (ignition) switch" section (for "vehicles with smart key system") of the 2011 owners manual (starts on page 215 of section 2-1), and I still don't know exactly how to get the ignition on without starting. It may not matter, since jvk's comment suggests that this switch dance is not required in models with the fancy screen... which I'm guessing would include any version with Smart Key. That's probably in the manual, but I have not downloaded all the sections for the third generation, and it's not obvious in the sections that I do have.
Well...your point is well taken: I once spent a fun 10 minutes in a not-great section of Chicago trying to get a Prius started (made even harder by the fact that, of course, "started" didn't mean the engine was running!).

However, I believe that it has become standard for pushbutton start to work as the Sienna's does: push without stepping on brake pedal, get Accessory; press again, get On (but no engine); press again, Off. Whether the manual does a good job of explaining it is, of course, another matter.

My point isn't that it's a dumb question -- it's not -- but that there's a lot to driving a car that's not that well documented because the interface is (largely) standardized (wipers and lights notwithstanding).

Contrast this with the early days of cars, where everything was different from one to the next; or to airplanes, where that's largely still true. Imagine if this standardization hadn't happened -- "My license only allows me to drive Fords and Chryslers, not GM products"! (And the niche makers would REALLY be in a world o' hurt -- where would you go to learn how to drive a Ferrari? Well, I guess if you can afford one, you could afford the training...)

2011 Sienna Limited, Aspen Pearl
Hopeful is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
WA2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

This procedure is outlined exactly this way in the book of my new 2015 Sienna XLE. It simply does not work. I'm thinking that even though it was printed in the book, this is done some other way on this car.

Anyone tried this on a 2015 yet?

I looked through all of the menus in the dash and NAV stereo and can't find anything even remotely close in there either (just as a try).

Am I missing something? The car is an advanced key car, so yes it's push-button however I know how to cycle through "Accessory / ON / OFF" with the button and not pressing the brake pedal. I've tried this method a dozen times now and it just does not work so either I'm doing something wrong (following the directions to a T) or it's a misprint carried over from the 2014 model and there's a different procedure on the newer vehicle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
WA2 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

I have a 2015 Sienna limited and I also cannot seem to get the auto lock (Neutral/speed) unlock (in park) options to work. I have followed the directions in the manual in all the ways that I can imagine. The system is not confirming the action requested.

If anyone has any ideas please advise. Thanks!
rgrountree is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 PM
WA2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Actually the manual in the '15 is misprinted. Thanks for that Toyota.

It's buried somewhere deep in the options in the stereo/Nav headunit. I can't remember what it was under now but it's there and you can select all of the various options. No Nintendo button combinations needed.
WA2 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6
Re: PROGRAMMING TOYOTA DOORS

Okay thanks, I will look in the Entune nav system settings
rgrountree is offline  
Reply

Tags
programming, toyota

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome