Sienna Plant Tour - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Sienna Plant Tour

Just a couple weeks ago, the plant where all the Sienna's are built in Princeton, IN (a few miles north of Evansville) started free public tours. We took the kids the second week (12, 10 and almost 7), and it was fantastic. After perusing the very interesting visitor center, and even making little Toyota poker chips by pushing buttons to turn the plastic pellets through the molding process, we boarded the tram and went onto the floor of the whole thing. We saw the whole process of Highlanders and Sequoias being made. From sheet metal to body parts, smelling the plastic molding and seeing the blower entrance to the paint, then the whole assembly, we eventually came to the point where they put in a couple gallons, start it up and drive it off the line. A new car was born! It takes 20 hours from beginning to end It was amazing.

We're taking the visiting, extended family back tomorrow. They said they were going to start the tours on the Sienna side of the plant this week - so I hope we get to see the new ones coming off the line - the sisters of our 2008 Sienna!

The experience ended with a Q & A time where we asked everything we could think of for about 20 minutes. The guides were long-time workers in different parts of the factory and had just about all the answers. They were great. I'd be interested in questions you may have for the very people lovingly putting our cars together. Let me know, and I'll ask them tomorrow. And I highly recommend a pilgrimage in your Sienna to its birthplace. Check out the website and schedule a tour here: http://www.tourtoyotaindiana.com/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Re: Sienna Plant Tour

any mention on how many siennas will be built per day ?

2009 Ford Taurus X AWD SEL
2000 Mazda Protege 1.8
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (Pure Junk)
1996 Pontiac Grand Am
1994 Pontiac Gram Am
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

They said they're doing 500 a day. Production is high on the Siennas for obvious reasons right now, and they're working some Saturdays. They are way down from capacity for the Sequoias and Highlanders - about half of capacity. Their explanation was the economy. I imagine its true for many companies and models.

I'd love to be ready with more questions you may have.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Supporting Member

I assume that the Highlanders and Sequoias are on separate lines, since they are completely dissimilar vehicles. On the other hand, I can see building a Highlander and Sienna on the same line, but it sounds like they are separate, too. Is this a three-line plant? The website seems to describe only two of everything.

I toured Ford's Dearborn plant as a little kid and GM's Oshawa plant in 1977; both were well worth the visit, and it would be interesting to see a modern plant.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM

Its annoying that their producing 500 per day for how long now and the first ones have yet to come to Canada ! Whereas some dealers in the U.S. have dozens of them on their lot?!?!
Thanks for the info Reveric, much appreciated.

2009 Ford Taurus X AWD SEL
2000 Mazda Protege 1.8
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (Pure Junk)
1996 Pontiac Grand Am
1994 Pontiac Gram Am
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

The Highlanders and Sequioas are on the same line. Colors and models were simply mixed in as they were ordered and came out of the different color sections. Each vehicle had a big "recipe" sheet on the front with a bunch of barcode sections for the assemblers for the particular features. The parts would arrive just in time for their appropriately featured vehicle. They would mark things off as they moved the vehicle forward. They were proud of speaking of how they "pull" vehicles from the orders around the country. They don't make a vehicle until it's been ordered. It was amazing on that line how each vehicle was different - all mixed up on the line - but with a single process working for all. The other side of the plant (the West side) is dedicated to Siennas alone. I'm sure it's a little simpler - but still with the different versions, colors and features mixed in together along the way. With all the suspended conveyers and robotic transports, it kind of reminded me of the kids movie, Monsters, Inc.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveric
The Highlanders and Sequioas are on the same line...
Each vehicle had a big "recipe" sheet on the front with a bunch of barcode sections for the assemblers for the particular features. The parts would arrive just in time for their appropriately featured vehicle...
I'm impressed. Assembly lines have had appropriate parts for each specific vehicle arrive just-in-time for decades, but normally the assembly tools and fixtures are suited to one particular design of vehicle, so the same line could not (for instance) plant a Sequoia drivetrain and body on its truck-style frame and still be able to insert a Highlander drivetrain into its unibody. It looks like I'm due for another plant tour!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Supporting Member

Nice!
Always wanted to do a Sienna "homecoming" like they do for Corvettes and used to for Saturns.

2004 XLE Ltd FWD Phantom Grey Pearl/Stone // 140K miles
. Pod-Style Running Boards
. OEM Hood Deflector (wimpy-version)
. 'kmead/SeanY' Rear-Wiper Salute
. 'mungpat' DIY Cabin Air Filter $$$-Saver
. Michelin HydroEdge (ex-Yokohama TRZ) ... looking for replacements
. Costco/Kirkland #9 battery
. Longer front wipers
. Britax Frontier 90

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

We did the tour again yesterday. It was the first day through the Sienna side! Once again, it is awe inspiring to see both the vastness and detail of putting a vehicle together from sheet metal to start up and driving off the line in a 20 hour process. It's fascinating to see Siennas at each stage of assembly. The whole plant is 4 million square feet (70 acres). The marriage of automation and human care is impressive. The extended family (including the retired professor of automotive engineering) all had a great time. It's well worth it!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek234
Its annoying that their producing 500 per day for how long now and the first ones have yet to come to Canada ! Whereas some dealers in the U.S. have dozens of them on their lot?!?!
I saw a loaded truck today with the new sienna. So they are now north of the boarder. Most likely drop 1 or 2 to each dealer. Depending on where you live I think you will see them very soon.

2004 CE
AIR LIFT '1000'
OVERHEAD 'DEALER' DVD
'HITCH CITY' 2' HITCH
Support 'SIENNACHAT' HERE

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Supporting Member

I had the most amazing experience seeing the Toyota principles of lean manufacturing at work during my tour of the Tsutsumi assembly plant in Toyota City, Aichi, Japan in September, 2006. This sprawling line builds 5-6 different car models for Japanese consumption as well as cars for export to the USA (LH & RH drive) simultaneously on the same track, in an ever changing mix of product! That includes the LH & RH drive version of the Prius. The kids were given plastic Prius model kits as their ‘take home’ prize for attending. Everyone was happy!

We even got to see the response when a worker blew the whistle on a slacking robotic welder, and the line came to an immediate halt. Pretty exciting to see about 30 people descend on the station, slap the welder around a bit for screwing up, redo the roof panel on one car, inspect another, and then sound the ‘all clear’.

Our family was there as guests of a dear old friend and employee. Our friend works in their patent & legal office, and she e-mailed us an invitation to her wedding in nearby Nagoya. I responded, pretty much as a joke, that we would attend if she could arrange a VIP plant tour. Two days later it was a done deal, and I was obliged to book 4 plane tickets to Osaka! As a car geek, it was sort of my day in heaven. And the very traditional temple wedding later that week wasn’t bad either! Just kidding – that was fantastic.

Big impression of the day: Remember the scene in Monsters, Inc. when Sculley and Boo end up on the roller coaster door moving system? That’s kind of what it looked like at one point. In a sister building they assemble complete doors. Every color, interior trim option, power or manual, sets of 2 or 4, etc. for LH or RH bodies rolling down the line. Hundreds of doors swinging by on an overhead tram, and the right set drop down to mate with the car at the appointed time!

We were in pretty heady company on the tour that day. I’ve never hung with an Ambassador before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota Trip.jpg (76.3 KB, 36 views)

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Devoted Member

lucky man! I only wish I could get that kind of tour.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM

What did they say about toyota changing from a beautiful soft touch dash 2004-2010 to hard cheap plastic dash in 2011-12
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 AM
Banned

Post however

1000 words of meaningless drivel removed.....

Last edited by fibber2; 03-25-2017 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spam

Tags
plant, tour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page