Aftermarket Headlamps? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Headlamps?

Anybody got any that they like? I'm tired of sanding mine to get them clear. Brand recommendations appreciated.

2002 Sienna LE (silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Re: Aftermarket Headlamps?

Sorry, I didn't realize that there is a separate forum for aftermarket parts. Move as necessary, please.

2002 Sienna LE (silver)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Supporting Member

I'm OK with leaving this here as it's more likely to be seen and responded to. If you don't get help, go ahead and double post over in the aftermarket section.

Check out TYC and see if they sell headlights for the Gen-I vans. Their Gen-II units look decent.

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Devoted Member

Garage

I don't recall anyone posting about replacing theirs, here. Have you tried Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Supporting Member

I just did headlamp polishing for a friend with a mid 1990's Ford Taurus. I couldn't watch her driving around half blind any longer. It was a hard slog, but they came out quite well. I used 4 grades of wet sandpaper thru 800 grit, then rubbing compound, polishing compound, then Mother's plastic polish. Tape up the painted surfaces around the headlamp well to prevent damage!

Current: '15 Sienna Limited Premium (FWD), '14 Subaru Outback, '13 Honda CRV AWD.

Past: '08 Sienna LE (FWD), '02 Subaru Outback, '02 Honda Odyssey EX
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:13 PM

I'd like to get some 15 model headlights in my 11!

Omaha, NE
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 PM

Garage

If you're tired of polishing, you could buy some used OEM headlights and bake off the front lenses and put them on yours. The used ones typically have some broken mounts, so you'd likely want to stick with your backs.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
iRt

One thing I like about my 2000 Sienna's headlamps are that they aren't (or don't appear to be) plastic, but are glass, so they always look clear. I was surprised because I'd thought that by that time all cars had plastic lenses.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by graure View Post
If you're tired of polishing, you could buy some used OEM headlights and bake off the front lenses and put them on yours. The used ones typically have some broken mounts, so you'd likely want to stick with your backs.
Sounds doable, but used Gen 1 headlights are scarce and chances are the lens is bad anyway. Is there another brand in particular that is a good fit and/or a bargain? What's the bake-off and re-attachment procedure? After sanding & polishing & laquering mine twice, I've had it.

Sorry I fell away from this post. Holidays.

2002 Sienna LE (silver)

Last edited by Silvervan; 01-06-2017 at 11:40 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
iRt

I don't understand this thread... aren't all gen 1 headlamps glass and if so why is anybody sanding them? My 2000 headlamps are glass and look like new, and I see tons of them cheap on Amazon and eBay. Is this discussion about the plastic corner lamps ($28 new on eBay) or am I missing something?

Last edited by iRt; 01-07-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRt View Post
I don't understand this thread... aren't all gen 1 headlamps glass and if so why is anybody sanding them? My 2000 headlamps are glass and look like new, and I see tons of them cheap on Amazon and eBay. Is this discussion about the plastic corner lamps ($28 new on eBay) or am I missing something?
My 2002 has the dreaded plastic headlights. I think 98-00 had glass? Which brings up a question about the ultimate solution! Are the glass lamps interchangeable with the plastic ones?

2002 Sienna LE (silver)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 AM
iRt

Now it makes sense - that's why I'm here - to learn!
I just checked a few things... a place that sells hoods lists the same hood for a 2000 as a 2003 and on O'Reilly's site they list the same bulb for a 2000 as for a 2003. If those had been different it would have been a clue that the headlamps were not interchangeable.
I've attached two pics I found online. the first of a 2000 and the second a 2002. The grilles are different.
One idea, although a hassle, would be to go to the dealer and get them to pull both headlamps and compare them.
Or maybe post a thread on the other Toyota website asking specifically if the headlamps are interchangeable. Somebody must have come across this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2000 Sienna.jpeg (61.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg 2002 Sienna.jpeg (85.4 KB, 10 views)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your research, iRt. They sure LOOK similar, but I suspect there must be a reason why the parts search sites always distinguish between the years. Still, if it's just a small gap between the glass and the grill or something like that, I could live with it. Unless anyone has any firsthand experience to report, I may invest in a used glass lamp and see how well it works.

Then again, I could get a new aftermarket pair for half the price of a used glass one. I may just guinea pig myself for an aftermarket solution.

2002 Sienna LE (silver)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Sheesh! Just found this. Not encouraging.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ght-Assemblies

2002 Sienna LE (silver)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM
iRt

I wouldn't find any of that discouraging. People always will be trying to convince you that you need a $50 pencil and that a 50 cent one won't work.

I'd see if you could swap some glass ones in there and just get some decent bulbs. In the year that I've had my 2000 Sienna I've turned down three free identical (same color and year) Sienna's off of Craigslist, all of which had glass lights. It could be you need some other parts as well as the actual headlamps.

These are supposed to be economy vehicles. In the 60's and 70's, there were only 3 light bulbs (that I know of) that covered all vehicles. A Rolls Royce or a VW bug used the same $5 bulb. Nowadays they have made every vehicle "need" a different headlamp. There are vehicles now that cost $50k that in 10 years will be thrown away because they need a $500 headlamp that somebody doesn't want to buy. It's a 100% b.s. routine. A version of a Shark vacuum cleaner ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page