98; key stuck in LOCK, replaced ignition lock cylinder, now shifter won't leave Park - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

98; key stuck in LOCK, replaced ignition lock cylinder, now shifter won't leave Park

The story so far:

1998 Sienna with 225K miles. Now a backup vehicle. Barely passed CA smog a few months ago (IOW, I expect it to fail next test 2 years hence, the repairs for which may cost more than the vehicle is worth, so for the next 2 years I'm trying to keep it running with minimal $$$ infusion). (Aside: though it uses a little oil, the powertrain feels as strong as when new; it's the various auxiliary systems that are failing...). Ignition lock/keys are NOT "chipped"; we drive it often with a bare-metal (valet?) key.

Last week, while away from home, driver reported being unable to turn ignition key; fortunately someone was able to assist and jiggle the key/steering wheel etc. to get the key to turn, allowing the van to start and be driven.

Watching various Youtube videos, I removed and disassembled the lock cylinder (see photo at AMZN link below: this is what I'm calling "lock cylinder"), removed & discarded the split wafers, tested before reinstalling, then reinstalled. All was well only momentarily, until I turned the key from ACC (where it needed to be positioned to allow the lock cylinder to be inserted with lock-pin on bottom retracted) to lock: at this point the key could not be turned out of the lock position. My theory is there are anti-theft bits inside the lock cylinder and one of them fell out during my disassembly of the lock cylinder.

Ordered a new Beck-Arney Lock Cylinder with 2 keys (37USD)

AMZN said this was definitely the correct part (and subsequent eyeball checking gave no reason to doubt this: AMZN parts compatibility checking has been reliable for me).

While waiting for new part to arrive, used brute-force (Cobalt drill bits) to drill out the old lock cylinder sufficient to allow it to be turned to ACC such that the lock-pin on bottom could be depressed and the lock cylinder assembly removed. Did my best to vacuum out all the metal chips this violence left behind.

New lock cylinder arrived. Used needle-nose pliers to move the tab deep inside the hole with which the lock cylinder mates, such that the latter could be installed with key in the ACC position. Installed new lock cylinder assembly (same way as old one); installed easily, fit seemed correct.

Test: (reattach ground cable to battery) turn ignition key, ... starts just fine! Victory (prematurely) declared.

[next day] driver reports: "it starts fine, but I can't shift it out of Park". Indeed this is true.

Remove and reinstall lock cylinder, but the problem remains. Brake lights are working (this seems to be the primary culprit of spontaneous "can't shift out of Park" problems, so I checked this even though I am fairly sure the problem relates to my lock surgery, not a coincidental fuse-blow in the brake light circuit).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 01:25 PM
iRt

Re: 98; key stuck in LOCK, replaced ignition lock cylinder, now shifter won't leave P

There might be something other than the lock cylinder that's faulty.
The thought that came to mind when I read your post was to completely swap another used column from a donor vehicle. In the year that I've had my 2000 Sienna I've seen a couple 1st generation Sienna's for free and several more blown ones for about $100. I've been tempted to pick one up in case something like this happens. Other than that if you're lucky you might get a column for $100 from a junkyard or there are often people parting them out on Craigslist here and I'd offer $100 max. I also wonder if you'd sprayed Tri-Flow in the lock every 6 mos if it ever would have failed. Tri-Flow is the only stuff I'd ever spray in a lock, WD40 is a disaster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page