tranny or speed sensors? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

tranny or speed sensors?

My check engine light checks out ok on startup but its not showing any problems. I think I'm going to try to pull codes anyway, because my transmission is definitely not 100% and this should be getting picked up by diagnostics right? Anyway, is there another way to diagnose it? Symptoms are hard, delayed shift especially with moderate pedal pressure, and it happens when its fully warm too and when cold. I know some of this is normal when cold but it does it all the time. I can make it shift smoother by easing up on the pedal just before it shirts. Just wondering if there's a chance its just the speed sensor(s)? Its a new-to-me 2000, and I've already drained the fluid twice and replaced it the 2nd time with synthetic and a bottle of Lucas.

Driving a 2000 Sienna LE since April 28, 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM
iRt

Re: tranny or speed sensors?

In the Toyota maintenance they only recommend draining and replacing the fluid and that's what I did to my 2000. If that's all you did it might be worth dropping the pan and replacing the filter. As you probably know, the amount of fine, silver colored metal deposited in the bottom of the pan is an indicator of the transmission's condition. Sorry I have no idea about the speed sensor question.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't drop the pan until after I do a 1200 mile drive, but I intend to do it then if I make it there. There was some deposit but not much on the drain plug when I pulled it the first time.

Had the codes pulled but only a stored O2 sensor came up. I don't give a hoot about that one.

Last edited by Previalover; 05-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 AM

how many miles?

an erratic o2 sensor can cause engine hesitations that could be confused as a transmission problem. Or the sensor could be merely "complaining" of another engine problem, such as a vacuum leak.

The suggestion about dropping the pan is a good one. You see a bunch of metal shavings in there and you know the tranny is flat wearing out.

2005 sienna xle limited, 230k miles
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Devoted Member

Garage

Did the shifting issue exist before you changed the ATF? Did you use the correct spec fluid (formerly known as Dexron Mercon 3)?

You mentioned drain "plug." Which one--the differential or the tranny pan? Most of the ATF will drain through the differential, in my experience.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the shifting issue was there when I bought it, apparently, although I didn't notice it until a day or two after I bought it.

I drained the tranny plug once, but couldnt get the diff plug out. I used the right fluid, but just cheap Walmart stuff because I knew I'd be draining it again. Then I drained both tranny and diff, and used synthetic ATF with a bottle of Lucas. I havent dropped the pan because I can't until I get home, if I get home. I'm just going to baby it and feather those shifts and look for a new vehicle.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 AM

I am not really good with my hands and I would rather stay that way. I once tried to pull a quick fix and got my insurance plan jeopardized because apparently it was similar to modifying the car's original condition. A simple problem could easily arise into a way bigger one if you are not careful enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Devoted Member

Garage

If you haven't come across the idea, some of these vans had problems with their shift solenoid. I think that problem would throw a code. No experience with this issue, but maybe something to look into.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page